correct paddling technique?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:23 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:we haven't got a sticky in shortboarders and this one i recken is worthy
a sticky for stroking technique :idea: ... :? surely the connotations didn't escape your mind ;)
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:55 am

^^of course, the fact that I've also assisted a goofyfooter is just something I'm gonna have to live with. :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:01 am

Nick Carroll wrote:^^of course, the fact that I've also assisted a goofyfooter is just something I'm gonna have to live with. :lol:
Whaddyamean a goofyfooter? You mean the Right Honourable Mustkillmouldaway, AND THE REST OF US!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:15 am

ric! don't tell me you have also taken to lifting the elbow and focusing on the "catch".

This has gone beyond my wildest dreams.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:20 am

Nick hasn't spruiked it, but it's worth noting that the revised edition of The Complete Guide to Surfing Your Best is out in newsagents. I found the first edition very useful, and will pick up the second edition on payday.

col.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:25 am

Nick Carroll wrote:ric! don't tell me you have also taken to lifting the elbow and focusing on the "catch".

This has gone beyond my wildest dreams.
I’ll have you know kNickerless I read, take note, even look forward to your next gem.

Now I’ll be happy to ‘catch’ a wave, it’s been a while sicne :wink: I even GOT wet.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:37 am

collnarra wrote:The Complete Guide to Surfing Your Best
This a NewportKnicknack Production? So any chapters in there about getting up if you’re rickitty? You know where your legs don’t want to get up under you because of your back?

I find this a little hard to follow Nick

Ah, this might be it “Written and edited by the world’s most-respected surf journalist, Nick Carroll, this book carries no less than 500 instructional images.”

Should I? Nah, I shouldn’t. :twisted:

Just in time for XMAS!!! The perfect titanium stocking stuffer...

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:54 am

Butts wrote:I have always agreed about technique regardless of the sport or function attempting to be performed. :wink:
Too true Butts, in every facet of life, there is always an easier way than the bash and barge approach. Brain wins over muscle every time.

Thanks for the tips Nick.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:07 pm

if it was complete the first time, why does it need a 2nd edition?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:08 pm

this might be more your style Ric:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:12 pm

WANDERER wrote:this might be more your style Ric:

Ah, yes but is it a 2nd edition :D and was knickerless involved? I have my standards.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:20 pm

wanto wrote:if it was complete the first time, why does it need a 2nd edition?
I just had a look at it in the news agent. It's billed as volume 2, rather than the second edition. Seems to have more advanced stuff in there.

JG

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:12 pm

wanto wrote:if it was complete the first time, why does it need a 2nd edition?
I think 'cause we're learning more about surfing all the time and finding (hopefully) better ways to help surfers develop style and technique.

The first CGuide was published in 2002, and felt to me like it was dated especially in that style/tech arena. For this one I put aside all the "hold-your-arms-like-this!" type stuff and instead tried to isolate some underlying keys to fine tuning your surfing that you can use no matter what your personal physical limits or preferred waves/equipment.

Plus kind of beefed up some of the more basic info so it was more thorough and easier to break down for yourself.

I strongly think that surfing is a sport you kinda have to teach yourself as you go along, and a lot of it happens in your head as you try to synthesise all the stuff involved. So I'm hoping this volume will help people in that task, help them to think about their own surfing and maybe imagine it differently, rather than telling 'em "Do this! Do that!" Which doesn't work IMO. We're not ballerinas; surfers aren't selected on the basis of some perfect body type with which they can endlessly ape the techniques of the Masters. Yet there are some ways of working with board and body and wave that seem to work across a wide range of people and equipment.

That's what I tried to get at, hope youse enjoy it.

(hey coll I think there's one in the post to you already!)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:15 pm

The Taiwanese translation. I'm not kidding. Someone over there called us and said there was a market, could they do a translation. And they did.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:38 pm

jesus nackers, you weren't meant to take me seriously .. but you can post me one too if you like ... ?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:13 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
The Taiwanese translation. I'm not kidding. Someone over there called us and said there was a market, could they do a translation. And they did.
Taiwanese eh? I didn’t look to that extent. They surf in Taiwan or was that where it was printed? Just had another look, it appears a lot of the enquiries on the forum are from Hongkers.

Might have to put you on the speaking circuit, if we can just do something about your appearance and general demeanour. :D

Butts

Post by Butts » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:17 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
Taiwanese eh? I didn’t look to that extent. They surf in Taiwan or was that where it was printed? Just had another look, it appears a lot of the enquiries on the forum are from Hongkers.

Might have to put you on the speaking circuit, if we can just do something about your appearance and general demeanour. :D
Might also help if he could stand a little TALLER when he speaks :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:21 pm

or we can just get him a leprachaun costume:

of course the joke would be on us as this would be his PA: