correct paddling technique?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: correct paddling technique?

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Yeah why don't you go fcuk yourselves you useless spammers.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:24 pm

This video seems ok for explaining some of the paddle basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YjNBe9smYI

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm

And this for what it is worth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uJCv7Ueeg

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Holy Jesus misunderstood and nailed to a fcuking cross Christ ... its not rocket science ... its not even fcuking rocket lettuce ... one arm after the other girls ... repeat ... repeat again ... then repeat again. Theres ya technique.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 am

Hi folks, I know this post began 5 odd years ago but it has just made a big difference to my way of approaching paddling. I guess 5 years ago I was only 32, without a pain in the world... now I have some severe shoulder pain across the top of my right shoulder (AC? Rotary Cuff?) and I realised my technique is just... awful. Had a good session on Sunday paying attention to the 'catch' and raised elbow and it seems to have made a difference, so thanks NC! One question I'd like to ask- to massage or not to massage? There seems to be differing approaches, ie Rest Ice Compression Elevation or massage to open it up a bit and get the blood vessels moving (or something like that)..the shoulder is still very sore. Thoughts?
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 pm

look don't take this as gospel, I'm not qualified to diagnose anything much less from a distance, but my own experience is that stretching, massage, and continued work is the best way through shoulder pain. It's really hard to ice that area and there's rarely any obvious inflammation. Maybe to reduce inflammation take Voltaren rapid 25, during the day when you are moving, not at night when its effects will pass unnoticed. A lot of people seem to go to surgery a bit too quick on this one, get a smart physio to do some work with you before anything else.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:59 am

I know this sounds crazy, but last year when I had the painful rotor cuff/shoulder problem I pretty much gave up on the whole physio/massage/bowen therapy/acupuncture routine and went for surgery. I am really embarrassed to say that II saw an ad for one of those Ultralieve hand held ultrasound machines and bought one in desperation. Well eff me drunk it worked! My wife ran it over the area for half an hour or so and I could actually feel the muscles and tissues relaxing. I went for a paddle in celebration and found that the whole of my back was tense except the area she had covered. Needless to say I got her to do the rest of my back and shoulders and what an amazing difference. I use it now whenever I get a twinge and recently it was used on my lower back to soothe sciatic pain and it worked on that too. Recommend it I do.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:07 am

You need to get a better physio.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:52 pm

Hmmm, tried a few without success. I know they seem really naff, but I took mine to the M'dives last year and quite a few blokes tried it and swore they where getting one when they got back to oz, so I'm not the only convert.
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:53 pm

I've not suggesting they don't work, just that a good physio would've used one if they thought it would help.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 am

Ah, I see what you are saying. Yes that is true, but I don't rekon one would come to the Maldives with me :D
Roy Stewart

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:06 am

Nick Carroll wrote:look don't take this as gospel, I'm not qualified to diagnose anything much less from a distance, but my own experience is that stretching, massage, and continued work is the best way through shoulder pain. It's really hard to ice that area and there's rarely any obvious inflammation. Maybe to reduce inflammation take Voltaren rapid 25, during the day when you are moving, not at night when its effects will pass unnoticed. A lot of people seem to go to surgery a bit too quick on this one, get a smart physio to do some work with you before anything else.
Thanks all for the replies, yeah resting it certainly isn't making it any better! My pain seems to be around the AC and you can almost see that bony point where clavicle meets acromion on top of shoulder is raised higher on my right side- so definitely swollen under there. Massage and gentle stretching it is then. May do some light rowing style stuff too, perhaps build up muscles on the back side of my shoulder.. Can't afford physio right now! Thanks again NC and all who replied, much appreciated.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:38 am

I have had shoulder issues in the past, however over the past 2 years my shoulder problems have greatly improved and are now pretty minor. What worked for me is paddling. Distance paddling a clubby board has helped fix my shoulders. I'm not saying this will work for all. It just worked for me. My theory is that paddle training has forced me to use my shoulders less and develop other muscles hence taking the load off my shoulders. I now hardly feel my shoulders at all when paddling. I've also become pretty addicted to paddle training. At least for now.

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:44 am

Natho wrote:I have had shoulder issues in the past, however over the past 2 years my shoulder problems have greatly improved and are now pretty minor. What worked for me is paddling. Distance paddling a clubby board has helped fix my shoulders. I'm not saying this will work for all. It just worked for me. My theory is that paddle training has forced me to use my shoulders less and develop other muscles hence taking the load off my shoulders. I now hardly feel my shoulders at all when paddling. I've also become pretty addicted to paddle training. At least for now.
Ok cool! It makes sense. I've sorta gotten used to having a crappy shoulder which is NOT the way to be. However, I do not own a clubby board. Would something like rowing help you think?
Sniff wrote:
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:17 pm

Rowing helps in that it strengthens the shoulder and back muscles and corrects the resting position of the shoulder that you probably have from sitting at a computer. Also dramatically improved my muscular endurance.

But it is not as good as paddling or swimming.

Had my first pool swimming session for ages today, fcuk I hate not having any feel for the water

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:31 pm

alakaboo wrote:Rowing helps in that it strengthens the shoulder and back muscles and corrects the resting position of the shoulder that you probably have from sitting at a computer. Also dramatically improved my muscular endurance.

But it is not as good as paddling or swimming.

Had my first pool swimming session for ages today, fcuk I hate not having any feel for the water
Gotcha. Damnit, that means I have to swim laps. I hate swimming laps.
Sniff wrote:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed May 20, 2015 10:10 am

Interesting. I sit at a computer a fair bit. Been doing a heap of paddle training (bloody insane new Brad Gaul racing board is to blame). I have developed a bit of an issue around the rear lower shoulder blade area. Anyway went to see a good physio. What has happened is paddling has strengthened my back muscles to the point where it has pretty much over corrected the resting position of the shoulder from sitting at a computer that boo has mentioned. My right lat is a bit stronger than the left which has caused the problem. It's not a major issue and I have exercises to help correct it. So paddling has corrected the shoulder and then some. Positive is that my shoulders are the best they have been in many years thanks to paddle training. An important part of training has been to add other elements such as running and swimming. Might get a Mountain bike next for more cross training.

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Having been through a lot of this, the starting point is a proper diagnosis. Somebody else's solution may work for them, but their problem might be very different, even though the shoulder seems to be the issue.

Massage can be helpful to reduce muscle tension and some good masseuses can work trigger points etc, however, in my experience a good physio will be a lot more targeted and focus on the underlying problem, which may not be the obvious pain area you have (neck and shoulders refer pain). I was overseas recently and went to a physio 3 times and they did a lot more good than the 6 massages. The Thai yoga massage I tried was probably the best of the massages.

Correct posture whether paddling, sitting or standing is essential. If you're not aligned and using the muscles properly, more paddling etc just compounds things. My rule of thumb is if something hurts when you're not using it, definitely seek treatment. Finding the right person sometimes can be a challenge. Reducing inflammation and muscle spasm can also be critical. A trained practitioner can advise about this.