correct paddling technique?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Aaronarizonasurfer

Re: correct paddling technique?

Post by Aaronarizonasurfer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am

Nick
I get what you mean about being out of the water and not being able to rotate
At the end of the stroke and while returning the arm forward is where I am still missing the image.

As the stroke has ended and I draw my hand out of the water at about my waist
Then my upper arm raises with high elbows and my forearm rotates perpendicular to the water with finger tips almost dragging the water?

I am probably over thinking it but I usually have to visualize something to have it make sense.
Maybe someone will find a good video of the return portion of the stroke

On another note I spent so much time looking on you tube at paddling technique and it's always just some young chick in a bikini laying in the sand saying reach all the way forward and pull all the way back. It's funny how people don't analyze their movements. Maybe it's just an American way of doing everything "quick and dirty"(as they say).

Nick don't forget to look into publishing an ebook I bet you can make some sales in other countries to help fund a nice surf trip.

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 am

Aaronarizonasurfer wrote: Nick don't forget to look into publishing an ebook I bet you can make some sales in other countries to help fund a nice surf trip.
Yeah NC. In fact, I nominate myself as your e-book manager. 70-30 split, of course. 8)
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Aaronarizonasurfer wrote:As the stroke has ended and I draw my hand out of the water at about my waist
Then my upper arm raises with high elbows and my forearm rotates perpendicular to the water with finger tips almost dragging the water?
Keep It Simple mate.

Rather than lifting the hand, think of the elbow drawing the hand straight up out of the water at the recovery end of the stroke.

The elbow doing the lifting transfers the recovery effort into the big middle back muscles and away from the shoulder and trapezius/neck, allowing the shoulder and arm to relax. It's amazing how relaxed the arm can feel during a correct paddle stroke (just as it does in a correct swim stroke).

Elbow tilts a little forward so the hand follows it up the line of the board. Then back to the catch.

Thanks for the ebook tip, I have thought about various forms of it.

wjp
Grommet

Post by wjp » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am

Just something I want to add to this, and this is just personal experience so take with plenty of salt - I've been suffering from impingement/bursitis in the shoulder and after (mainly trial and err) I realized that I was bring my elbow up high too much on the way back to the catch - this compresses the subacromial space and (can in my case) lead to bursitis. So now I still lift the hand out with the shoulder, but keep the elbow low as possible on the way back to the catch.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:46 am

my brain hurts
i should paddle with my elbows ?
just tell me which guy i should paddle like,
kolohe andino or slater ?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 am

aaronn wrote:my brain hurts
i should paddle with my elbows ?
just tell me which guy i should paddle like,
kolohe andino or slater ?
No, you should paddle from the small of your back, like a dis-articulated windmill out to your fingertips.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 pm

video,video, show me video

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Nic's got it right - learn to swim (properly) - head up freestyle transfers directly to paddling. While you are swimming, remember to do lots of backstroke to balance your musculature and loosen your shoulders.

Stretch.

As for paddling technique lifting both feet out of the water and crossing your ankles looks really cool :roll:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

aaronn wrote:video,video, show me video
to make a real difference, you'd need to have someone shoot video of you, then have someone critique and compare it with a corrected stroke.

In the meantime...probably the technically best paddler on tour is Parko. KS is pretty good too specially in sprint wave catching form.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Here is a good tutorial I found when looking at accomodation for Bali.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3cf8OiRnKg

Kevin3310

Post by Kevin3310 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Nick, is the "deep catch" your idea of what you are describing in your posts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRkZTcla ... r_embedded

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 am

Yeah kinda.

The sculling thing's been out of favour for a long time in swimming circles.

jackwarner

Post by jackwarner » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:01 am

Great thinking man, I also prefer his book must be on sale so that we can get detail about important stuff easily and within low cost.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 am

Just had a cortisone injection due to severe inflamed shoulder joint, due to round arm technique and trauma.The strength lost was pretty significant, feels good now and surfing so much better but dont let it get to that the tip.

SurfieC
Local

Post by SurfieC » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Okay, its maybe not the correct paddling technique :wink:....But I was surprised when I saw a girl on her softboard. How she comes to the line up. Okay, a softboard is a diffrent board or whatever it is. But seriously, this girl stroking the water this her hands. I was not sure, why she did this. I think, she was under shock. She looked like a shark followed her and she forgot to paddle. Or she had no idea, what she did. I forgot to asked her, how she stroking in the Line up. She not less energy and it looked very elegant. The end of this story, she stroking after maybe 3 minutes back to the beach.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Yeah can't do it that way unfortunately.

You can't hope to learn anything in surfing if you approach it piecemeal. Paddling feeds back into wave-catching decisions and takeoff angles, which feeds straight into turn timing, which feeds into underlying posture and balance issues, which arise from the number of waves you've caught, which arises from how effective you are in the paddle stroke. etc etc etc. Everything flows off everything else.

The customer might think he or she knows what he or she wants to learn, but that's almost never the case. Often the fault lies elsewhere and you only discover it in an oblique sort of way while you're out surfing and trying to figure out something else entirely. This process of discovery and self-instruction can't happen in neatly packaged little segments and I'd feel a fraud if I constructed something along those lines.

Kevin3310

Post by Kevin3310 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:57 pm

In my opinion these are the best videos in learning paddling technique in terms of understanding what you are doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAMq9rSzyU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO27SsVRyUk

gersonluguera

Post by gersonluguera » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm

The best tip for paddle surfing for me comes from Mark Visser.
I've been using since I watched this video and it really works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrGlON7y ... OEy3zjWEQw
Professional Free Surfer