correct paddling technique?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: correct paddling technique?

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Paul, why dont you have any use for the word "the". Reveal yourself, who is the real Paul Brown?

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Davros wrote:Paul, why dont you have any use for the word "the". Reveal yourself, who is the real Paul Brown?
smnmntl?
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Paul,

What do you see under the wave when you duck dive?

Daz

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon May 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Handstands seem to be building my shoulders and it feels like i'm paddling easier :?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:26 pm

I think I just got more out of this thread in 15 minutes, then the last 15 years of trial and error and bumbling and injuries in the ocean.

Thanks NC :wink:
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:37 pm

You're a bloody fast reader!

mysurfworld.com

Post by mysurfworld.com » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:12 pm

The stronger and tighter your core is the stronger and faster you will paddle.
Attachments
Logo1.png
Logo1.png (11.59 KiB) Viewed 27176 times

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:04 pm

^
I couldn't take it, that being the last post to this, Carroll's monument!

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Rockin' Ron wrote:Nick who was the best duckdiver you ever surfed with?

And did they have a particular quirk in their technique? If so can you share it? Or is it just pure arse?

Do you consider duckdiving efficacy to be the metaphorical "38th Parallel" between kookiness and competency?

Will you miss me?

Kelly. He seems to have a good power to weight ratio, very quick reflexes, and the full armoury of duckdiving tricks: the front rail sideslip, the flat dive, the punch, the inadvertent roll, the turbulence-hole penetrator, everything. Plus he doesn't mind being underwater and upside down.

It might be one of the said parallels. I would hesitate to put too much emphasis on any one area of skill.

I'm sure I will miss everyone, but it will be a bit weird, because I don't know anyone's names and I can't be sure you are who you post as.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:24 pm

paulcannon wrote:gloves give you about 30 percent more. thats a lot. i paddle my 5 11 along side mals. its a bigger workout but that only makes you stronger. gives way more explosive power. gloves
I just realised; that's because you are slip streaming on their sizeable wakes! :lol:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:47 pm

It might improve your short-burst fitness, but for lasting a surfing sessions without paddling from A to B, you're better of swimming in my opinion.

Your body adapts to exactly what you do to it, so if you want to paddle better you need to train as close to paddling as possible. The best I can think of (without actually paddling) is swimming freestyle at variable speeds, copying the bursts needed in the surf.

It will also help to improve the strength of the muscles that pull your shoulder blades back and together (such as doing chin-ups with your shoulder blades pinched together), as these muscles are designed for long postural holding. When these muscles are weak others take-over and will make you tired and sore quickly.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Nick just thought I'd let you know I tried your quick overview of paddling technique, less shoulder pain within 2 surfs and HEAPS less energy expended. Have now bought your book coz it sounds like a good read as well as the in-depth paddling info. Cheers
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:44 pm

When riding a 9 + board I always wear flippers....just hang the legs over the side and flip like buggery.....very fast.....and when I use flippers riding a short board , sometimes I can duck-dive under a whole set of 4 waves in one dive ! ... :shock:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Actually had a crack at using the old slide hands along rails on the way back while I was up the coast and I have to say that it worked. Got a few funny looks and only did it a bit on the way back out to the point but I wasn't stuffed and aching at the end of long, long sessions like usual. After five days of two surfs a day I was actually feeling reved up and ready for more instead of waving the white flag. You got to understand that I've got a fairly good spur on my spine where it joins the shoulder blade which can give me real grief sometimes so this is a big plus for me. Great advice. :D :D :D :D :D
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Aaronarizonasurfer

Post by Aaronarizonasurfer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:24 am

I am from The usa and live in a landlocked state, I only get to surf a couple times a year so keeping up on paddling is very important, I actually paddle my board in the local river.
I found this post very helpful but had a hard time picturing the high elbow stroke. I found a swimming technique video on youtube that I think is what Nick is describing.
The video is titled "Better Technique with Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen" there are five videos where the lady describes arm placement during a swim stroke.
I tried this while paddling and it does help with power and results in less soreness.

Nick, you need to get your book in a digital download for sale so it can be sold more easily in other countries (like usa) I could only find it for some crazy price on Amazon.

Thanks for the help

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:21 am

Great find mate. Awesome tips in there.

However, the fifth part seems to go against what Nick has kindly gone to great lengths to explain about the elbow lift and finger drag drills etc. Although she does say the main thing is whatever gives you the best recovery in your stroke. Nick, any comments?
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Ah yeah, like she says anything goes. There's a million ways to swim just like there's a million way to paddle.

It's just that for the vast majority of surfers, they're not doing Ms Neilsen's elegantly formed feather recovery movement. They're stuck with the clumsy wide swing recovery where they haul the hand out of the water and swing it out like a door, then back in to the catch.

A high elbow return is the quickest and easiest way to break that nasty, shoulder rotator cuff injury type movement, transfer the effort out of that clenched shoulder area, and get the stroke back to an accurate place.

A high elbow works better also when you're a little bit out of the water the way you are on a surfboard. Remember you don't have the luxury of being able to roll slightly to aid the recovery the way you can when swimming.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 am

Ok just discovered this thread - great stuff. At 45 I have had on off problems with the rotators, and have tried all the physio, yoga , bands etc, and yes, time to look at the paddling technique. Only had a very quick read so will revisit but am I on the right track with this take?

1-hand at 45 degree, to forearm, flat and slighty spread
2 - slide into water, pull slowly and straight, start to exit with elbow when level with hip
3- all thru the process keep arm in a vertical plane, close to the board as possible

Again, thanks for the tips all, esp. NC