backfoot placement

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chop
Grommet

Post by Chop » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:44 pm

I'm with you SA I gave up waxing inbetween the pad and near were my front foot lands. I have put my pad quite forward and when I move my back foot it stays on the pad. While I have a good range for my front foot.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:49 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:how is a quick thin coat of new wax come to be regarded as so labour intensive for f.ucks sake? Whaddabout combs, does anyone use them anymore in the event of no wax? How many more questions am I going to ask in this post?
A thin coat of wax. Such hard work. You don't want to use up all your paddling energy putting on some wax!!!!! :lol:

I still use a wax comb as I don't like the wax building up on the board, and a roughing up with the wax comb gives you even better grip than a new coat over the top of the hundred old coats.

How many more questions? Exactly none my good friend! That was a trick question, wasn't it Ron.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:22 pm

Natho wrote:I prefer no tail pad too, howeverI have been using them on my smaller boards for protection coz I was pushing through the decks.
i got carbon strips for that very reason.
cant wait to get the board :D

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:34 am

Interesting topic... I've been thinking about this whole tail pad thing as well, what is the benefit of a tail pad anyway??

I have a tail pad on my 6'3", but surf other boards without them and I think I like them better. But its a hard one because when you buy a new board you don't wana make the wrong call, cause if you surf it without a pad and wax it all up and then decide you don't like it and want a pad I think itd be hard to get all the wax of the tail to put a pad on, plus your probably have problems with the pad coming off. Does anyone agree with this?

Who else doesn't like using a pad, and who does?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 am

I really like pads on shorter boards 'cause the turn angles are trickier in smaller waves (like up to 6') and for me the pad helps you find precise back foot position -- plus protects your tail deck from damage. Slides way easier to control etc.

I move around a fair bit more in larger surf and on larger boards (7' and above) and so the pad is kind of redundant.

It's pretty easy to get all the wax off -- sometimes if I'm not sure about a board I'll surf it for a week with wax only, then see where my back foot's going, then clean off the wax and set the pad appropriately. Just scrape off as much as you can then use mineral turps and a paper towel or two to scour off the remnant.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 am

is there a general rule for pad placement? ie where/how far back to position the block etc.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:
oldman wrote: I still use a wax comb as I don't like the wax building up on the board, and a roughing up with the wax comb gives you even better grip than a new coat over the top of the hundred old coats.
Bang on brother...

I'm a big fan of pushing all the little lumps of wax debris that you get after a good comb over and pushing them down in certain areas on the deck....best grip ever I reckon.
thirded.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:20 am

WANDERER wrote:is there a general rule for pad placement? ie where/how far back to position the block etc.
’pends on the board and the rider. They are so bloody small these days, but then that suits the planted back foot of so many of today’s stylists.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:22 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:after a good comb over and pushing them down in certain areas on the...
I’m starting to do that wiv me hair :D

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:40 am

ric_vidal wrote:
Rockin' Ron wrote:after a good comb over and pushing them down in certain areas on the...
:lol: :lol: starting! :lol: :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:48 am

WANDERER wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:
:lol: :lol: starting! :lol: :lol:
OK, so it isn’t as luxurious as it once was :twisted: :D

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:01 am

Id say you have the classic 'Caesar' comb over, RV. Brushing the hair forward from the back to cover a slight, but noticeable reseeder.

:lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:16 am

Coops@DY wrote:Id say you have the classic 'Caesar' comb over, RV. :lol:
It was the wind :lol:

Bit of a dilemma what to do with it. :? Don’t think I have the noggin to go super short.

Back on topic ya bastards... :D

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:21 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Don’t think I have the noggin to go super short.
I don't think I have the choice ..... :lol:

mad
charger

Post by mad » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Back on topic ya bastards...
Only a slight transgression to go from back foot placement to back hair placement.

Ever considered the excess ear hair combover :?:

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Tail pads are great for duck dives (I use my foot and rarely my knee). I find duck diving without a tail pad you don't get the same grip and leverage. You stick your foot right in the corner of the kick.

As for waxing I do it rarely, I can use a comb for weeks if not months as I usually don't ride the same board over and over.

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:...It's pretty easy to get all the wax off -- sometimes if I'm not sure about a board I'll surf it for a week with wax only, then see where my back foot's going, then clean off the wax and set the pad appropriately. Just scrape off as much as you can then use mineral turps and a paper towel or two to scour off the remnant.
I'm prety sure I'm gonna try out my next stick without wax then just to see what its like. I don't think I've ever surfed a short board that doesn't have a pad...

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:54 pm

salty wrote:
WANDERER wrote:is there a general rule for pad placement? ie where/how far back to position the block etc.
This could be a baited question of which I could possibly get burnt answering, but as a general rule I always place the kick right over the back fin. I figure that's where you want to drive from when gouging a big layback snap and the like.
For me personally, I like the pad positioned so that my back foot is above and maybe sometimes just slightly behind the front fins - the back fin isn't where I want to be (it feels more like hitting the brakes when I'm back that far).