FCS Fins, performance core vs performance glass vs h2's or f

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Surfa 69
Grommet

FCS Fins, performance core vs performance glass vs h2's or f

Post by Surfa 69 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:29 am

I'm gona buy a new set of FCS fins for my 6'3" 19" semi fish, at the moment I'm using the old K2.1 composite fins which to me feel like I need a bit more drive and less flex (these fins are probably the most flexible fins in the fcs range). While I'm in NZ at the moment I'll be living in Sydney round xmas, so I'm really looking for the best set of fins for that type of surf, to begin with I will probably only surf up to 4ft until I get more confident and used to the surfing there (its a big change from the smaller sloopier surf I'm used to). I would consider buying 2 sets if needed, I work at a surf shop so can get all the FCS fins half price. I'm also going to buy a few new boards in Sydney, probably a fish and a performance shortboard. I have read the recent posts about fins but still keen to know more if anyone can comment that'd be awesome.

There are so many bloody fins available and its so hard trying to figure out which is best for what. Here's what I have gathered so far:

- PERFORMANCE CORE fins are good fins with prety good flex, the advantage of this fin over the performance glass fins are that these are slightly lighter however the performance glass fins have a better flex as they are 100% glass. Is the flex a positive or negative? How has tried these fins?

- PERFORMANCE GLASS fins are suppost to be best in surf bigger than 3ft, because they are slightly heavier than the performance core and in bigger waves this extra weight isn't such an issue, and they apparantly have better flex than the core fins. I will mostly be surfing in under 4ft, who has surfed these in under this size? They also have the K2.1 limited edition 7 title fins in this available which I can get for a tiny bit less than the normal performance glass model as they're out of date (obviously he's won 8 titles now), these are exactly the same in construction as the performance glass but just in the slater shape.

- Then theres the H2 or F-SERIES fins, these are ultra light expoxy but apparantly don't have as good a flex characteristics compared to that of the core or glass fins. But I have heard alot of good things about the H2's and also alot of other mixed reports about them. I have tried them and I am undecided about how I rate them, they felt fast and free but also quite weird, I can't make my mind up about them. Who else has used either of these 2?

There's also the glass flex models available, but what I gather about these are they are ok but are a cheaper fin, and the other models above will go better (am I right in saying that?).

WHAT the hell fins should I buy. Can anyone give me some advise on what they've used or heard about any of the new fcs models above. I am planning to try a few sets out but the surf here is prety bad and I've had to surf a mal for the last few months, even if swell does come its prety hard to tell how a fin goes after only a few hours on it.

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 am

I bought the new K3 fins and thought they went ok. But I decided to put in the standard M5 oerfromance glass fins in and my surfing seemed to improve instantly. I think I had more control and I was making my forhand vertical reo's way more than usual... way more hold. I also felt like i was doing stronger turns because the fins were stiffer and i really had to use my body and push out my turns?

Im over worrying about fins now though. Im going to get set fins next board.

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:22 pm

I use the performance glass most of the time as they also have flat foils. PC's seem to skip out a bit for me as I'm a heavier bloke.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:21 pm

I have a set of FG-7s and PG-7s. The differences are there, the FG-7s are light epoxy and flex a bit but as a result the board loses a bit of drive but not that much but they work really well in my newly acquired quad and that is probably where they'll stay. The PG-7s don't seem to flex and give the board more drive and I use these in my afterburner.

I have a set of Soar foam core fibreglass fins in my rounded pin and they are pretty much roughly equivalent to the PC series although these "Mick Fanning" specials (OCMF?) look to be exactly the same template as the FCS Sunny Garcia and I have a set of Sunnys in carbon fibre and they are nice and drivey with good release when it gets a bit bigger.

In my experience I am not after a fin that is too flexy as it tends to make the tail drift a bit. Those plastic fins (G5's or M5's seem the same) I can actually tell when they flex because the tail drifts at that moment and I lose the drive through the turn. They've never worked for me. I am also a larger bloke so I like bigger and stiffer fins (as in less flex).

anorbury

Post by anorbury » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:32 pm

can't beat m5's as an all round fin i reckon - composite ones don't really cut it any more - have tried carbon fibre but swear by m5's now

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm

longbum wrote:I use the performance glass most of the time as they also have flat foils. PC's seem to skip out a bit for me as I'm a heavier bloke.
How heavy are you? I'm 80kg so just trying to make a comparision. I thought a flat foiled inside slowed down the fin? Are the Performance core fins more flexible than the performance glass?

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:59 pm

Surfa 69 wrote:
longbum wrote:I use the performance glass most of the time as they also have flat foils. PC's seem to skip out a bit for me as I'm a heavier bloke.
How heavy are you? I'm 80kg so just trying to make a comparision. I thought a flat foiled inside slowed down the fin? Are the Performance core fins more flexible than the performance glass?
90kg.
Depends how you surf really, I like the flat foils as it gives more resistance therefore I can push harder thru turns.
there wouldn't be much between them, to be honest I don't really go that deep when looking for a fin, if its fibreglass its good.

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Thanks for all the comments so far, have a read of this below, its about how I found the H2's after my second test drive:

Just tried out the H2's again today. The verdict??? = I didn't like them overall...

I find them to have lots of speed when on rail on a steepish face, but as soon as I straightened out the board to go down the line or changed to the other rail they would loose alot of hold and the tail would slide out. They are also no good when you get to a flat section or when some waves weren't offering much speed, they actually didn't seem to work at all when you're under a certain speed when this happened it was a mission to keep the board from spinning out (felt like I had no trailor fin). The only thing I liked about the H2's were the bursts of speed I got when first getting up. I think they would be better in a more ledgey short beach break, the surf today was a bit sloopy with the odd ledgey one coming in.

Half way through the surf I went in and changed back over to my Composite 2.1 fins and they definately had more control over all but after using the stiffer H2's I could actually notice the fins flexing on turns which seemed to make me lose speed, so I think I need a slight stiffer fin than the composite 2.1's.

So I have taken these off the list of maybe's and I'm thinking of getting the PC5's and maybe the Slater Performance glass fins or the PG5's.