i Dont like webbers.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

i Dont like webbers.

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:29 pm

i have ridden 3 completeley different boards, and im yet to be convinced.
To me, they seem slow, sluggish and no speed through turns.
maybe its the fact that he can afford to pop shitty boards out beacuase of his rep, or maybe its the fact that they were shit boards, but overall, im not that impressed.

To me, my two Nirvanas by bill cilia seem way superior.
anyone out there have the same experience or am i triping on the yellow brick road? :shock:

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:46 pm

I'm pretty shore < :P greg dosnt shape commercially anymore

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:07 pm

Mr_momo_32 wrote:I'm pretty shore < :P greg dosnt shape commercially anymore
haha.
yeh thats what i thought, but i really dont like em.
is it ghost shapers that do them or machines.
or both?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:07 pm

They are slow, check the dimensions.

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:14 pm

I have had many fab boards from Mr Webber going back 20 years: he's into 'blend' like few others (planshape, rocker, rails,volume) - even reckons it can be formularised to some extent: you know - calculus - change of curve x per change of curve y per change of volume etc, and you would end up with rates of change formulae. Eg a tail shape is like cutting a plane through a cylinder at an angle and has a definite mathematical formula... eventually, with computing, we may be describing surfboards as series of changing curves...
Anyway, if they were slow and sluggish, were they off-the-racks? Heavy glass then? and for sure he has his crew pump out afterburners and fatburners which are sort of safe and boring with sturdy glass. And it is indeed very hard to get genuine Webber hands-on shapes: others do it now; he just does the general design.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:14 pm

Shaunm wrote:They are slow, check the dimensions.
i did, they were all different shapes and sizes, like a fishy one, your standard hi per one and a sorta wider one, not a semi fish, just more volume.

anyways im happy with the boards im getting from bill so im content 8)

Holy Smoke
regular

Post by Holy Smoke » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:24 am

i don't like Mondays

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:58 am

does anyone?

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:10 am

I wouldn't be reccommending a stock Webber if you wanted a performance board. If you wanted that I'd be going straight to the man.
He has really catered for the intermmediate level with his range of Afterburners/Fatburners etc.
He would still be one of the best shapers in the world just thru his vision and eccentric ideas.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:13 am

Anyone ridden one of those newer Webber bottom shapes (like a full on bonzer all the way to the nose)?

Anyone ridden one of his Quads (with above bottom shape)?

How do they go? coz they look weird. :shock:

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:07 am

Best board I've ever owned was (is) a Webber shaped by the man himself - a 6' "Bullet", a precursor to the "Afterburner" that for some reason didn't gel with the hordes. The finely tuned combination of plan, rocker, foil, rails, etc. is a joy. The thing just looks like it will go, and it does (even after 10 or more years). Got a few others from him after that, all good but not quite as good as the first. Wouldn't bother with an off-the-rack Webber and organising a hand-shaped job from him is too much of a hassle now. I've moved onto other shapers, but that one Webber Bullet really helped define what's right for me.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:50 pm

Natho wrote:Anyone ridden one of those newer Webber bottom shapes (like a full on bonzer all the way to the nose)?

Anyone ridden one of his Quads (with above bottom shape)?

How do they go? coz they look weird. :shock:
i rode 1, like a major double concave?
it was a pig

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:28 pm

g_u_m_b_y wrote:
haha.
or both?
im pretty sure there just pop-outs from indonesia and the likes.
although even the machine boards need human refining... final shaping and glassing.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:32 am

Mr_momo_32 wrote:
g_u_m_b_y wrote:
haha.
or both?
im pretty sure there just pop-outs from indonesia and the likes.
although even the machine boards need human refining... final shaping and glassing.
The Laminator, at Mona Vale have been producing a whole heap of Webbers in the last 6 months. All machine shaped and hand finished (the odd demo one by Greg) just like Insight, Al Merrick and the like in MonA Vale.

GUMBY, you gumby. Those massive doubles are not for perfect waves as such- more for our usual ordinary conditions. I was riding a quad, with a massive double righ tthrough out the board in perfect surf- and it didnt work. Tried it in 2feet sloppy yet smackable walls and it went great through the dead spots.

swift
regular

Post by swift » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:26 am

I've had several Webbers over the years. The very first one I ordered from Greg directly, I met him in Mona Vale (laminators), he was selling some older team boards etc. He talked me into my first ever custom. Hands down the best board I have ever owned and ridden!!!
The others after that never quite came as close. He didn't have any input into those, I know for a fact as I was working for a surf shop then.
I would only ever get another nowadays if I had spoken to Greg and by all reports that's nearly impossible.
Mind you I saw him at Food for Less the other day, I should have said g'day!!!

Surfa 69
Grommet

Post by Surfa 69 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:45 am

Yea its because taj doesn't ride them anymore... How could they be anygood? It just doesn't make sense, no pro surfer= no good board... :wink:

Na but on a serious note I have heard and noticed that webber seems to always put alot of rocker in all his boards so they're only good in pumping waves. Plus they're made in the cobbra factory in Thailand (what a sell out c*nt), I don't understand why someone would buy one cause they sell for the same price as an aussie made board, the only difference is that webber, the shop and global surf industries are making a wadd more cash from it all.

Buy an aussie or nz made board!!! In most cases they sell for the same price!

phil osofer
regular

I don't understand webbers

Post by phil osofer » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:28 pm

The description 'Slow, Sluggish and no speed through turns', sounds like a surfboard without enough foam volume to suit your weight.
Bouyancy to weight ratio is the key factor that determines performance.
It doesn't matter if Webber shaped it or Slo Ped in Thailand shaped it, if it doesn't have the bouyancy to suit your weight it won't perform.

Say for instance the length, width and thickness of the Nirvana and Webber are the same, but the Nirvana has a flat deck and the Webber has a rolled deck. The amount of less foam in the Webber will mean it's less bouyant and so when stood upon be slightly more down in the water and feel sluggish under your weight.

Recently observed the extreme of incorrect bouyancy to weight ratio, a 90-95 kg surfer on a 2 1/2" thick board, and the water level almost up to his nipples.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:41 pm

^^^^^ :shock:

Sorry Phil, but I disagree.

there is far more to a board being slow/ sluggish than just volume. As an example:

- Rocker...is it flat, substancial etc.
- Type of waves surfed eg a highly rockered board will feel sluggish in crap waves.
- Bottom shape - a V bottom or even channells may feel sluggish if the surf is less than ideal.
- The surfer....not positioning themselves on the board correctly relative to the boards foil, rocker, bottom shape, sweet spot. Also the surfer not knowing how to keep a high performance board moveing.

Volume is only one aspect. F you don't get the other sapects right then a correctly volumed board can still feel sluggish.