yes
88%
no
13%

Total votes: 16

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:21 pm

Gday Box, pretty much a m5 and m3 setup. The fins I'm using are fcs, JS1/pg3. I've tried smaller in the back but don't like it as much. Just shift all fins forward about 1/2"- 3/4" from you thruster setup and should be cool. You'll be ripping like it was minnoz circa '88.
or dooshma :wink:

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:04 pm

Thanks Daz. I don't make boards as a profession any more, so I'm a bit out of the loop with things these days. Although I just made a couple of new ones for Zac M, and he was just up to grab 'em.

With the rear fins, how close are they positioned to the rail? I'm imagining they're more centred between the stringer and rail.

Funnily enough I remember Jeff Clark was making quads set up like this back in the mid 90's. Even on his 9'6"- 10' Mavs guns. He was using G2's in the front, and G3's in the back. I told him he was tripping, show's how much I know :oops: .

And don't mention those breaks, ya's are killing me with the waves you've had thru June/July. Makes an old Sth coast lad homesick.

Cheers mate
Tim

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Surfa 69 wrote:
longbum wrote: Dylan L.
I use js1 in front pg3 in back in my smaller baord.
I will use all js's in my 604 if there is some size. Bigger the fin, faster down the line you go I find.
Does he have a website? I had a look on google but can't find anything on the guy... Are there any sites with any other info on him?
www.billabongsurfboards.com

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:05 pm

tiger wrote:Thanks Daz. I don't make boards as a profession any more, so I'm a bit out of the loop with things these days. Although I just made a couple of new ones for Zac M, and he was just up to grab 'em.

With the rear fins, how close are they positioned to the rail? I'm imagining they're more centred between the stringer and rail.

Funnily enough I remember Jeff Clark was making quads set up like this back in the mid 90's. Even on his 9'6"- 10' Mavs guns. He was using G2's in the front, and G3's in the back. I told him he was tripping, show's how much I know :oops: .

And don't mention those breaks, ya's are killing me with the waves you've had thru June/July. Makes an old Sth coast lad homesick.

Cheers mate
Tim
Here is an article discussing quad fin placement at http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/surfwire.cfm?id=6423 here is a specific quote about front and rear fin placement with dimensions from that article...
If you normally put your fins at 11 and 3.25, here's how to set up the quad: keep the front ones in the same position. Half the distance to the tail is 5.5²...your rear fin on a tri is 3.25...split that distance...half way between 3.25 and 5.5....at 4.375....also move them away from the rail...about 2" seems to be a good place. All my fins point 2" off the nose so the back fins would be almost parallel to the stringer.
I just bought a Stretch quad fin yesterday (2nd hand) and surfed it last night and today in local club comp. I managed to get through my heat but the waves were fickle and my wave selection was pretty abysmal to put it mildly.

It came with the quad specific SF4 fins but they are glass flex (plastic) and being 184cm and 92kg I could feel them flexing too much under the board making it wallow and stall a bit and that was in 1-2' waves last night. Today I changed the front fins and used FG-7s and they seemed to improve the drive and flow of the thing. Now I just want to get rid of the rear SF4s and replace them with G-XQs and I think I'll see a marked improvement in its performance (otherwise there is going to be a frothing rage followed by a bonfire on the beach :lol: actually it might have just been me). It certainly did seem to do nice tight arcs with plenty of speed when I managed to get on a good wave.

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 am

I'm presuming its a tuflite ??
If it is..........There probably lies the problem........

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:44 am

longbum wrote:I'm presuming its a tuflite ??
If it is..........There probably lies the problem........
It is but I think it might have just been me and not enough time on the board. Took it out this morning and had a couple of pearlers on it. I seem to have found the gas pedal on this thing, it made fat 2' waves a lot of fun and sped through sections I don't think I would have got through on my thrusters. The afterburner probably would have but wouldn't have been as loose. Can't wait to get the rear fins in fibreglass, they should really drive it through turns.

I have 2 other tuflites and I think they are great. I know they have their limitations in bumpy waves but I think you can accommodate it with a bit more sensitivity and stand a bit "lighter" on the board when you go over the bumps. Because of my weight they still flex a little anyway.

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:48 am

8) excellent, looks like another 4F convert...........
mwhahahahahahah (evil laugh)

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:46 am

I use FCS M3's in front and GX trailer fins in back on my HS quad. Seems to go well with this setup. A well designed quad definately is the shit. :D

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:37 pm

^^^^^

Welcome to the Quad clan smacky. Yep, sounds like yourself, Dyl Longbum and myself have found the right Quads. Whaaa haaa ha ha :D

Im riding the same fin set up as you on my HS Quads and they go a treat.

There are not many good Quads out there as not many shapers know how to set em up. Most I have tried surf too much like a twinny. The HS Quads are closer to a thruster.

Im sure Longbum does a good Quad. That may be my next one :wink:

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:33 am

Natho wrote:^^^^^

Welcome to the Quad clan smacky. Yep, sounds like yourself, Dyl Longbum and myself have found the right Quads. Whaaa haaa ha ha :D
What no welcome for me? Don't worry it feeds my inner victim, he's very happy. :lol: With 3 more surfs now on this board the wow factor is still increasing. The extra speed is noticeable as well as the grip through whitewater. I've got to say, thrusters are obsolete! Actually I didn't say that one of the old local shapers around here did.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:44 am

Quads are unnecessary. Ride 'em if ya want, whatever, but they ain't the next step.

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Quads are unnecessary. Ride 'em if ya want, whatever, but they ain't the next step.
Totally agree-anyone that's been around long enough will remember the Glen Winton days and all the quad mania of the times-sure today's quads are different better blah blah blah-yo yos are coming back in too-just gotta' wait long enough......

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:29 am

loco4olas wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:Quads are unnecessary. Ride 'em if ya want, whatever, but they ain't the next step.
Totally agree-anyone that's been around long enough will remember the Glen Winton days and all the quad mania of the times-sure today's quads are different better blah blah blah-yo yos are coming back in too-just gotta' wait long enough......

Yep. Back in the late 80's/early 90's? Strapper at Torquay were doin them and a few mates were riding them. Within a year they were back on thrusters and I didn't see anyone else on em after that. It'll be a fad.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:45 am

Big call :lol: . I am not really arguing either way, I've had mine for 4 days now, so I'm not selling off my thrusters just yet. Because I am bigger I think they offer something, a board with a wider tail that is more stable at speed, I guess we'll see what happens with the quad in time. But I'd love it if they do take off just so I could do the internet weasel thing and say "Nick remember when you said..." :lol: Just about anything if marketed aggressively and cleverly can take off, even if it is not the next step, it can still be the next thing. Although I don't quite know who'd do this, without some kind of patent protection the advantage of exclusivity is lost. Too late for quad design anyway it's already out there.

I haven't searched the patents data base, here or US, and will if time permits, but does anyone know if there are any patented surfboard designs? Imagine how well Simon Anderson would have done. Without patent protection the money just isn't there to be made in surfboards but the general trend, as far as I know, within the industry is an open exchange of ideas and designs.

Holy Smoke
regular

Post by Holy Smoke » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:54 am

oh boy, now you/ve done it !

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Who was saying that a Quad was a necessity. :?:

Some would say that a thruster isn't either (you know those long haired hippy types that swear by the old singles or those hippy twin skeg fishes).

Slowman I now welcome you to the clan. You will need to change your name to Fastman now that you are on a Quad. You must have been riding one of those silly single fins in your past life.

A Quad is a nice addition to ones quiver. By no means is it the best tool in all conditions. At the same time i find it a better tool than my thrusters in certain conditions.

There is not much that you can do on a quad that you can't also do on a thruster. They are just fun to ride. Nothing wrong with that.

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 pm

What is the next step?

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:51 pm

Lucky wrote:
What is the next step?
Quint stingers, you can take that one to the bank :lol: