What's the biggest wave you've ridden?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Gluttony wrote:2ft Cactus... fuck the size you heros... what about the noahs?

:lol:
:lol:

i've had one serious 15 footer....one only....i love that wave :wink:

u can hawaian that done too serious 8'foot i guess :roll: :oops: :cry: :cry:

it don't really matter...cause i want more em...and that wat counts with big stuff :idea:

but i was the only who got out that day.....and heaps watched it...15 foot :!:

i could easy handle bigger :idea: ......big waves are heaps easier surf.....it's just the scare factor puts people off.....and drowning....thats a sucky off putter too :lol:

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Bass straight. Surfing down the face of giant walls of gale driven water on a 40m sailing ship and feeling like she was going to do an Edmund Fitzgerald and not pull up.She did though.... How big is it when outside corner links up with racecourse? any suggestions?

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:47 pm

I don't think it only comes down to the actual size of the wave (i know thats the question tho). I've surfed Sunset and laniakea like 10ft Hawain, but felt safer out there than what I have down here when its 8-10ft sometimes. Thats due to a bunch of reasons like the people in the water, clean swell vs stormy swell and believe it or not sun in the sky and the water blue instead of grey.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:51 pm

This topic reprises others but here goes:

As newer posters say "Phantom Reef" that is in fact outside Shark Island.

Polar Bear (aka Bear) the kneeboarder and me took it one day abt 1967(?). He got abt 3 , I got 2 and it scared the crap out of me; but relief that I survived making those extreme waves. His next try was a bad call as he freefell and then was sucked over for a trip across the reef. I remember the look of horror as his kneeboard preceded him abt 6ft below in space to fall up the face and then fast forward; as he did the next trip to purgatory after a second suck over.

Some 8mm photogs got some footage but I have never seen it. All I can remember is that the crowd of spectators who followed it from the Point did not applaud as we crawled back (Bear with some real nasty injuries), bleeding badly , perhaps they expected us to die; but then it was a gladiatorial combat for the wankers as I remember as we landed they faded away without comment except for one who said "we thought you would lose" (or some such).

Both of us us were humbled by the experience. I don't care to go into that again. Anyway Bear , wherever you are now then I still appreciate your committment.

Anyway I still get a rush from all of that. :D

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:58 pm

longbum wrote:I don't think it only comes down to the actual size of the wave (i know thats the question tho). I've surfed Sunset and laniakea like 10ft Hawain, but felt safer out there than what I have down here when its 8-10ft sometimes. Thats due to a bunch of reasons like the people in the water, clean swell vs stormy swell and believe it or not sun in the sky and the water blue instead of grey.
I believe it. Grey skies make big surf just that little bit more ominous.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:43 pm

Karlos wrote:[

I believe it. Grey skies make big surf just that little bit more ominous.
ahh crap.....it's when the shoreys tries kill u know it's on....colour is just a nice sensation.....only loll u into oblivion :shock:
iggy wrote:some crazy kneeboarder that went the rock jump and made it out past the bank..
his still ridiing that wave :shock:

sometimes it don't matter u rep......it's all about geting out :wink:

once u out.....it's a kings playground :idea: :lol:

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:00 am

Normally i can piece the fongster's words together, tonight its just not clicking.

Shoreys killing people over colours....

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:15 pm

double post
Last edited by kreepykrawly on Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:16 pm

I remember. It was the winter of 91. Jimmy rang me to tell me the surf had hit its peak.I could feel it in every fibre of my being that this was going to be the day of days.He picked me up in his car and we raced down to Collaroy point.As we entered the car park we could see a 2 foot wave looming on the horizon.
"f-ck" says Jimmy.... "did you see that ?"
I couldnt answer him. I was frozen in fear and Jimmy wasnt expecting an answer.
Eyes still fixed on the horizon we slowly both exited the vehicle.Jimmy opened the back of his VW transporter with frangy panny stickers encrusting the back window and pulled out his favorite 9"6' .
He looked at me and said..."I want you to surf this board". I gulped.

Paddling out was no easy feat in itself. I was bombarded by 1 footers and the hold downs where something Ive never experienced before.Eventually i made it out the back and waited for the one wave that was going to immortalise me.
I did not wait long.On the horizon a 3 footer threatened to break in line with the pool. If i was going to take it i needed to paddle harder. My heart rate zoomed to 160 beats per minute.Eventually i made it to the right postion.
The next thing you know i was taking the drop on what had to be the biggest wave Ive ever ridden.On the way down i narrowly missed a few boogers and a couple fellow long boarders who i accidentally ran over.
I knew Jimmy was watching so i squatted and pointed in the direction i wanted to go.
I made it all the way to the beach and i could see Jimmy clapping and hooting like a mad man. I was so proud.
That night we celebrate my achievement over a hot cup of coca and old surf movies while both our wives stared at us in admiration.

Butts

Post by Butts » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:42 pm

KK :shock: :arrow: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice story 8) :wink:

crack
regular

Post by crack » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:17 pm

I saw the might of collaroy point late in the winter of 95! i got a 4 foot bomb which closed out the whole reef sending me and my red 9 foot pintail hurtling towards the shore.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:43 pm

[quote="kreepykrawly"]I remember. It was the winter of 91. Jimmy rang me to tell me the surf had hit its peak.I could feel it in every fibre of my being that this was going to be the day of days.He picked me up in his car and we raced down to Collaroy point.As we entered the car park we could see a 2 foot wave looming on the horizon.
"f-ck" says Jimmy.... "did you see that ?"
I couldnt answer him. I was frozen in fear and Jimmy wasnt expecting an answer.
Eyes still fixed on the horizon we slowly both exited the vehicle.Jimmy opened the back of his VW transporter with frangy panny stickers encrusting the back window and pulled out his favorite 9"6' .
He looked at me and said..."I want you to surf this board". I gulped.

Paddling out was no easy feat in itself. I was bombarded by 1 footers and the hold downs where something Ive never experienced before.Eventually i made it out the back and waited for the one wave that was going to immortalise me.
I did not wait long.On the horizon a 3 footer threatened to break in line with the pool. If i was going to take it i needed to paddle harder. My heart rate zoomed to 160 beats per minute.Eventually i made it to the right postion.
The next thing you know i was taking the drop on what had to be the biggest wave Ive ever ridden.On the way down i narrowly missed a few boogers and a couple fellow long boarders who i accidentally ran over.
I knew Jimmy was watching so i squatted and pointed in the direction i wanted to go.
I made it all the way to the beach and i could see Jimmy clapping and hooting like a mad man. I was so proud.
That night we celebrate my achievement over a hot cup of coca and old surf movies while both our wives stared at us in admiration.[/quote

Mr T say:

"Onya Kakers!!!!! Yo are tha troof!"

(what brand cocoa you use?)

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:51 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:... his VW transporter with frangy panny stickers encrusting the back window....
I hope they were in the configuration of the southern cross, it's the new "code" 8)

Nice story KK I felt it from the cockles of my heart..maybe even the subcockles, I just don't know.

I've been to Sunset, Waimea, Peahi, Half Moon Bay and none of them were working! Story of my life. Maxed out Waimea...I bet that kept you awake :!:

In Australia I reckon anyone can work their way up to 10' if they want to, because we get it frequently enough so you can build up to it but 15+ is pretty rare and the last time Sydney held a 20' wave was like 40 years ago. So to start surfing 15+ it's not like you can work you way up to it so what is it, a leap of faith, and you just say "shit yeah I'm going out there" or what?

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:17 am

How talls a piece of string?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:34 am

rabbity7 wrote:How talls a piece of string?
first tram to Bondi., Boofhead.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:12 am

salty wrote:Nic, what sort of training regiem did you have for that shit? How many hours per day do you do now?

I'm not sure it's so dificult to drop in to a beast than a baby, but I reckon it must be fitness that gives the confidence.
I think it's got more to do with the progression of your own surfing than simple fitness, like I surfed in HI for four winters or so before a real big rideable Waimea day came along and I had the board etc to ride it.

Sorta winding up the Molokai training now, just a few sessions a week, maybe one long one mixed in (like this arvo Long Reef to Palm Beach) just to stay loose and psyched. But I reckon it's no coincidence that a lot of the guys who charge Waimea these days are also paddleboarders in the HI summertime, it definitely feeds back into your confidence and water sense.

Revolution re size, hmmm, I semi chickened out of a full on closeout once, I think what a Hawaiian call woulda been 28 feet on that one? It was funny, there were people paddling up the face as I was paddling down and they dead set looked like ants! I'm glad I didn't catch the wave, there wasn't a way into it anyway, the thing was like an apartment block.

But have been fortunate enough to be in the right spot for a few in the 22-25' range, paddling into a wave like that is definitely the most exciting thing you can do in surfing. You really really have to want it, the whole thing is so ridiculously all out!

Boards for that are in the 9'6"-10' range, big sick looking pintails. Waaay easier than the boards the first big wave guys used to ride, back in the late 50s and early 60s, those guys were the real deal -- catching set waves knowing they were gonna wipe out! And not giving a s**t!

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:39 am

One Macking Hawaiian wave or one long night with your favourite model, wait, they are too tall

kookmachine
Local

Post by kookmachine » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:47 pm

10x overhead. 8)

On a bodyboard