ignorance ....

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:13 pm

dUg wrote: you really need a positive ID on their car before you can squeeze 2 tubes of superglue into thier doorlocks. ROFL
I personally never did anything to peoples cars but in my 'youth' I was a central coast boy and doing 'stuff' to peoples cars was ripe in that area .... I remember laughing at cars leaving the car parks with F...off kooks written across their door in wax ... blobs of melted wax dripping down windscreens ... all sorts of gunk on door handles .... tyres let down and it goes on .... one of the funniest I saw was at Terrigal Haven one day a guy owned one of those very small suziki hatchbacks which only took about 8 guys to l pick up and carry it to the middle of a grass parking island in the middle of the car park .... when the guy got out of the surf he had to sit and wait till someone moved their car so he could get the car out out ....

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:18 pm

porca wrote:Last week I said to a random who kept paddling on the inside, "if you think you are getting the next wave I will drop in on you!" He was then really apologetic. And the line up of 4 of us (2 blowins) started to work, he stopped snaking.
I used to say stuff like that all the time but have mellowed in my old age ... I find it far easy to bitch and complain on realsurf ...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:24 pm

You can probably put up with a little bit of this but if it gets to constant and/or blatant you have to do something.

The trouble is its so conterproductive most of the time. They get too deep and blow it or only make 50% or 25% so everyone misses out except maybe some lid riders or novices on the inside. If you give guys priority and they accept that its back to the end of the line if they blow it everything usually works fine even in crowded surf. Just try convincing people who have grown up knowing no better of its virtues. :?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:22 pm

surfin39 wrote:one of the funniest I saw was at Terrigal Haven one day a guy owned one of those very small suziki hatchbacks which only took about 8 guys to l pick up and carry it to the middle of a grass parking island in the middle of the car park .... when the guy got out of the surf he had to sit and wait till someone moved their car so he could get the car out out ....
hehe, nice work.... except they didn't quite finish the job. Now, had it been turned on its roof on the nature strip...

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local
Location: any of the heavy NSW reefs, depends where the swell hits. shark island/southern reefs mostly

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:13 am

cronulla point is the capital of this sort of crap, the trick i find is to sit just inside the pack closer to shore where the sets are peaking and wait, the rest of the line up usually gets so frustrated hustling inbetween the sets and ends up so deep and too far out the back, and the older locals will just be chilling inside a bit. some days its almost like there not in the surf. another good one is when your shallower and closer to shore than the pack on the peak and you see a set looming way out the back, do the haul ass like theres a freak 20ft wave coming paddle technique. most see you and join in, leaving you to turn around and paddle back for a set.

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Beanpole wrote: The trouble is its so conterproductive most of the time. They get too deep and blow it or only make 50% or 25% so everyone misses out except maybe some lid riders or novices on the inside.
so what do you recommend you do when this is 1, or 2 in my case, of your mates who can do this constantly throughout a session..?

am I an arse for still paddling under the pretense that they're not going to make it?

like they're paddling way too deep on a predictable point break with no hope of making that sucky section, then i get abused with them claiming that their closeout was a sweet barrel and i ruined it for them?

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:12 am

surfin39 wrote:
porca wrote:Last week I said to a random who kept paddling on the inside, "if you think you are getting the next wave I will drop in on you!" He was then really apologetic. And the line up of 4 of us (2 blowins) started to work, he stopped snaking.
I used to say stuff like that all the time but have mellowed in my old age ... I find it far easy to bitch and complain on realsurf ...
This is precisely what forums are for :lol:

Anyway, if you just go one on one you both lose, but if you have mates and outnumber him or "them" you take it in turns to paddle inside and play the game. So long as he loses more you all win :lol:

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:58 pm

I had a kinda similar experience a couple of weeks back. Was in Port mac for a week and town beach behind the rocks was doing a nice impersonation of the pass or currumbin alley (well, to my surf-starved eyes anyway :D).
Was out there on my own when an older mal guy paddled out - figured he was a local so smiled, made some conversation and we chatted for a while. He was sitting outside me and proceeded to take off on every wave even if I was already on my feet and riding - he just never looked back to check. And no, I wasn't deliberately paddling to his inside all the time.

Anyway, wasn't too concerned but eventually let him have whichever one he wanted and just took one when he wasn't there. Wasn't too bad really but got me to thinking of other ways to handle it. Being a blow-in I'd really be reluctant to say anything but I guess a polite word should be ok in theory - but he might have 'politely' told me to fruck off, thus ruining the pretty peaceful vibe I was enjoying.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:22 pm

RickyG wrote:He was sitting outside me and proceeded to take off on every wave even if I was already on my feet and riding - he just never looked back to check. And no, I wasn't deliberately paddling to his inside all the time.
See, that's just plain rude :evil: :evil: Just because you are on a tanker you don't have right of way. Obviously never taught to share as a child...