ignorance ....

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

surfin39
charger

ignorance ....

Post by surfin39 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:38 am

A commonly discussed issue so I'm not looking for replies ... I really just want to have a public winge ...

So... I go to this place this morning that has a spot where people normally surf and an inside spot that was empty at 6.30, so I head out to the inside spot with my brother and we got a few waves and then two other guys paddle over from the outside break probably because they saw us .... one bloke was a bit unsure and was being cautious so there was only the 3 of us to share the waves ...

however ...

this knob paddled out after every wave and sat 3' on the inside of us and then proceeded to paddle for the next wave that came through, if I paddled out and around him he just did it again, at one point I blatently dropped in on him and stayed on till we got to a section that I made sure crunched him, and then waited for him to say something so I could explain the concept of 3 guys sharing waves ... but he just paddled straight back out and sat next to me again ....

3 guys, plenty of waves, the guy could surf .... why be an ignorant knob and try and take all the waves .....

maybe it's just me , but that sort of behaviour is very annoying .... it aint survival of the fitest when there are only 3 guys surfing ...

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:13 am

salty wrote:I've got a mate who does that all the time... even when it's just us out :shock: Then when I do take off deeper, he drops in because he thinks I'm not as good a surfer as he is and that I couldn't possibly make it. After I do make a few he'll still be an obnoxious c*nt.
not much of a mate then

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:24 am

salty wrote:I've got a mate who does that all the time... even when it's just us out :shock: Then when I do take off deeper, he drops in because he thinks I'm not as good a surfer as he is and that I couldn't possibly make it. After I do make a few he'll still be an obnoxious c*nt.
:shock: Salty ... your "mate" must have some serious dirt on you .... :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:02 am

tough luck s39, never good to encounter such tactics. I mean fair enough if he's the king hell local but even then you'd think he could give away a few.

Dropping in on guys like that never works. He just gets more determined to steal everything. I believe it works better to paddle inside the guy, so he's forced to go inside you again, and eventually nudge him so far off the spot that he gets the message.

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:40 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Dropping in on guys like that never works. He just gets more determined to steal everything. I believe it works better to paddle inside the guy, so he's forced to go inside you again, and eventually nudge him so far off the spot that he gets the message.
I agree 100% - dropping in on them can potentially lead to all sorts of problems, but just keep paddling inside and progessively forcing him deeper and deeper will eventually make the point.

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:15 pm

Tell him tis is your first surf after getting out of Supermax Goulburn.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:54 pm

If there were only three of you out there you would have to be an ignorant moron to think that you can just paddle back to the inside after every wave. You should have said somethig like " mate there's only three of us and its not a contest" shame him out of it.

fong

Post by fong » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:59 pm

principal skinner wrote:. You should have said somethig like " mate there's only three of us and its not a contest" shame him out of it.
yeah...i agree...go the verbal :!:

JUST SAY STUFF LIKE "FROCK MATE...YOUR SURFING SOOOO HOT"

" u should be on the tour"

" u must have lots sponsers"

" your so hot right now...i'm stoked it's like surfing with slater"

" wat u gonna do when grow up...turn pro :!: "
and hoot everytime they even start pasddle for a wave...call em intio it....tell this is there "covershot op :roll: "

@ first they think your serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

than they get it's a pisstake 8) .....they get out pretty quick after i find :wink:

like most bullys.....they can't stand being laughed @ :lol:

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:51 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:37 am

thanks for your support guys ... I went through all this last night and felt quite cleansed and ready for this mornings onslaught into kooksville ....

thanks to NC, cambo and robzig .... this morning I herded about 8 guys down the beach then paddled back up 30 meters to where I started and my bro and I had a nice peak all to ourselves ...

fong ... I memorised all your one liners and I'm ready to let fly next time

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:39 am

Got to agree with NC as that is the best way to handle it ................ :wink:

He's pushing you so push back it's all in the name of fun......... :lol:

Or more to the point, finding your limits and his.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:18 am

Johnno wrote:Got to agree with NC as that is the best way to handle it ................ :wink:

He's pushing you so push back it's all in the name of fun......... :lol:

Or more to the point, finding your limits and his.
it wasn't an issue of limits .... this was a peaky type of take off so if you go too far inside you just get caught behind ... I pushed said knob way deep , but when I paddled back to the optimum take point .... he was right back next to me ... he just wanted to sit exactly 3' inside me no matter where I went and he wanted every wave ....

bottom line ... this bloke was an ingnorant knob .... or I have become a kook magnet .....

still, it was good to get this off my chest

Colonel Fiction
regular

Post by Colonel Fiction » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:35 pm

surfin39 wrote: ... he just wanted to sit exactly 3' inside me no matter where I went ...
Maybe he just has a crush on you. :wink:

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Colonel Fiction wrote:
surfin39 wrote: ... he just wanted to sit exactly 3' inside me no matter where I went ...
Maybe he just has a crush on you. :wink:
of course ... what's wrong with me !, .... I completely overlooked that it may have been my devilishly handsome looks ....

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:36 pm

surfin39 wrote:
Johnno wrote:.... or I have become a kook magnet .....
Nah just bad luck the same thing happens all the time. Ask Gary Hughes what it is like to be a kook magnet :lol: you aren't even close yet :lol: After he finally got out of hospital after his second attempt to make it in Hawaii as a pro (hit in the head at big Sunset) and was wearing an ice hockey helmet (until the plate came out, and this was in the days before Gaths were made) I saw a kook from out of nowhere at Cronulla point take off on the shoulder side of the bowl on 2nd reef and go left completely off balance on one leg and mow Gary down as he was coming through the barrel :lol: he was just dumbfounded it was such a an act of kookdom. For those watching it was piss funny.

Of course what you really need to do is use tactics that take advantage of your numerical strength. ie. 2 v 1, you paddle him inside while your mate scores and then you swap and your mate paddles him inside, and so on. Running interference is a pretty standard tactic in many sports. Happens at every point break with an established lineup. No words needed. I used to like that sort of stuff I used to think it proved something but as I have learned over many years, cooperation is the best strategy in the long run. Funny how eventually I befriended some of the regulars I used to butt heads against.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:04 pm

This is fun with the summer crowds.

Push them toward the rocks by going inside them and watch them scream as they are dragged across the barnicles by a set.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:38 am

Hahahahahaa... obviously none of you guys have surfed with the infamous carparkslut... he's a complete bandit for that. That and snaking, and dropping in... LOL.

Seriously though, there's a spot near me that's notorious for that sort of nonsense... lost count of how many times I have seen it. We call it the "let's all sit too deep game", and the worst offenders are always guys you have never ever seen before... and never seem to see again. They just seem to turn up while you are having a quiet mid-week surf with a couple of mates, and paddle out with the hundred yard stare. No acknowledgement, no pleasantries... often no eye contact.

I've yet to see an exceptional surfer do it too... instead it always seems to be some guy trying to proove he is *just a little bit better* than you are. As NC said... dropping in doesn't work either... they usually end up whining like little biotches despite the fact they spent the first 50m of the wave caught behind the peak. I particularly hate longboarders that do this... the ones that paddle right up the inside of you without saying "boo", then sit 10m further out than you can, nabbing every set wave.

The problem I think is that these tossers are transient and pretty much unwelcome anywhere - they just move from break to break annoying people. You rarely see them out at your local the following week trying it on again. Most often, you never see them again, which makes it hard, since you really need a positive ID on their car before you can squeeze 2 tubes of superglue into thier doorlocks. ROFL

porca
regular

Post by porca » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:10 am

Last week I said to a random who kept paddling on the inside, "if you think you are getting the next wave I will drop in on you!" He was then really apologetic. And the line up of 4 of us (2 blowins) started to work, he stopped snaking.