Jetskis at Bells

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Jetskis at Bells are....

a smart idea - allows the riders to conserve their energy and keeps up the pace of the real action
31%
not cool - whatever happened to paddling? Surely Bells is a reserve area as well. Jetskis are noisy and cause pollution.
69%

Total votes: 13

smw1
Local

Jetskis at Bells

Post by smw1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:39 am

So what's the view on jetskis towing riders into the line-up?

I haven't really decided whether I'm against them generally for comps, and they certainly help to maintain the pace of the action, but for some reason it just doesn't seem right at Bells.

What's the consensus?

SMW1

KLXracer
Grommet

Modern Skis

Post by KLXracer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 am

Dunno what they were using at Bells, but a large number of modern skis are 4 stroke which means significantly less noise and pollution. Much the same pollution as a 1000cc motorcycle (i.e not much). Last time I rode a four stroke, I had to keep checking to see if it was running, they are super quiet on idle, and you generally hear the hull slapping much more than the exhaust.

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:09 pm

its a good idea from the wct but only if there pullen them out into the line-up, and not towing them in,

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:25 pm

Slater out. Whitaker thru.

Three Aussies in the semis. Taj, Whitaker, and either Parko or Fanning.

Go boys.

cs
regular

Post by cs » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:36 pm

whay not? Heats arnt decided on wave count, so gives em more waves to pick the best 2...

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Im not a hippy> i eat meat. I waste energy. I hate lentils.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:09 pm

Ringmaster wrote:...I've watched a few heats at Bells live over the years and even as a surfer, it is a tad f##king boring watching empty waves reeling off as two guys take 5 - 10 minutes (depending on swell size) to paddle back out after riding waves in the same set. A lot of people who go to watch these events are only mildly interested in surfing so unless guys are up and riding, they couldn't give a sh#t...
That is what the edit button is for :lol: Sure for TV/film you aren't going to show the dead air but for the punters on the beach tough luck they are already there because they want to watch. So I don't think there's a great deal of weight in that argument.

Personally, I think the guys who work on their fitness should be rewarded with the tactical advantages they can gain from it. With jetskis towing them back out it cuts out that part of the equation. At the end of the day it will still come down to high scoring rides but those that are fitter will catch more and have a better chance of posting those much needed high scores. Those that have talent unlimited can easily increase their fitness if they put in the work.

I think that if the general public can see the work ethic that goes into the sport it will win far more acceptance. Just have a look at how many watch those surf ironman events and they are televised religiously too (and they aren't real ironmen :lol: anyway).

panaitan
Grommet

Post by panaitan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:15 pm

Slowman wrote:
Personally, I think the guys who work on their fitness should be rewarded with the tactical advantages they can gain from it. With jetskis towing them back out it cuts out that part of the equation. At the end of the day it will still come down to high scoring rides but those that are fitter will catch more and have a better chance of posting those much needed high scores.
I agree - thats a pretty fundamental part of surfing ability.

Is it just my inherent bias or was Andy Irons just overscored on both of his 2 waves? Mick Fanning just looked to get so much more out of his turns and just flowed them together so well!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:25 pm

Quote: Personally, I think the guys who work on their fitness should be rewarded with the tactical advantages they can gain from it. With jetskis towing them back out it cuts out that part of the equation. At the end of the day it will still come down to high scoring rides but those that are fitter will catch more and have a better chance of posting those much needed high scores. Those that have talent unlimited can easily increase their fitness if they put in the work.

I think that if the general public can see the work ethic that goes into the sport it will win far more acceptance. Just have a look at how many watch those surf ironman events and they are televised religiously too (and they aren't real ironmen :lol: anyway).[/quote]

So are you trying to tell me that the top 40 or so surfers in the world aren't ALL super fit. I reckon if you put them in a paddling race there'd be as near as dammit a dead heat. There might be something in how they read the waves to get back out quickly but even then, the timing of the next set after you catch a wave would be crucial and really comes down to luck.
If they are scored on waves ridden, not how quickly they get back out to the lineup then why not use jetskis?

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:25 am

dinosaur wrote: maybe they should have a paddling race to decide the winner
A slight misconstruction of what was said! Equally then, we could eliminate paddling altogether and have them just ride a flow rider wave.

I would actually like to see a paddle race between the 45 WCTers and I'll bet money the ones in the top 10 trounce the rest, and there will still be differences within the top 10 too.

I know they used jetski shuttle at the WCT event in La Hoya because the surfers were saying it was great because they could surf more waves. Who knows it might be a good thing, perhaps MP could make a come back and Occy can keep going for another 20 years. Perhaps for longer waves like Bells it might be okay but it still seems soft to me.

I for one would not like to see this become standard for all WCT events (because if you do Bells why not Snapper and so on). I think it would dumb the sport down. As already mentioned it would mean no one would have to use any nouse when paddling back out to negotiate rips or sets. More than anything it would reduce the amount that chance can play in events. It would become boring because guys like Andy and Kelly would win everything between them. Like they don't already win enough anyway. The outcome would rest on less variables and probably only whether Kelly or Andy were having a bad day if someone else was going to get through for the win.

cs
regular

Post by cs » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:33 pm

^^^ why would using jet ski lifts out the back favour Andy or Kelly??
And its not the paddleing out that stopped MP, or make Occ retire.
Watch the clubbie events if you want a paddle comp, surfing is about riding waves...

Borris
regular

Post by Borris » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Go Taj!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:30 pm

cs wrote:^^^ why would using jet ski lifts out the back favour Andy or Kelly??
And its not the paddleing out that stopped MP, or make Occ retire.
That was sarcasm.
Watch the clubbie events if you want a paddle comp, surfing is about riding waves...
Is that what you think I said? Please, don't have children. I'm not interested in watching anyone paddle either but I am interested in seeing all round surfing skills and what they do resembling something like what we do and facing the elements and conditions. If you aren't fit enough, brave enough or savvy enough to get out do you really deserve to ride those waves? If your answer is yes, that's fine by me, for me it's no, but by removing certain aspects in competition you have to look at the negatives as well as the positives. So far most of the posts have only focused on the positives, well there is a cost.

By using jetski shuttling it reduces the chance that Kelly or AI (or anyone for that matter) get hit by a set or are too late to get back out and pick one up. End result, someone like Fanning gets a break and gets through for a win. He gets fully amped and lifts his game and starts a winning streak and takes the crown. Or it could be Joel, Taj, whoever but Kelly and AI are so good and so consistent shuttling means one less opportunity for someone else to get a break on them. One more random factor is removed which works in favour of those at the top.

Yes, more waves will be ridden and chance still plays a part but with less room to make a difference in our favour! Anyone for a flag sprint start? :lol:

cs
regular

Post by cs » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:53 pm

The clubbie clip was sarcasm too mate :roll:
Honestly though, in the Bells comp just finished, i dont think it would have mattered either way.
There was giant lulls between ridden waves, anyone could have paddled out in time for the next set.
Anyone surfing in the comp is brave, fit and savvy enough to get out the back, and obviously deserve the waves they get.
I only watch these events over the net, or the odd spot on telly, and the coverage doesnt show the competitors paddeling back out.
But, it does show plenty of jockeying for position, especially when someones comboed and trying to get a wave off priority.
What are some of the other negatives with getting towed back out??
And, my missus is pregnant, so I am gonna have children :D :D :D

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm in no way against "progress", but I wouldn't class using skis as progress. It's just an alternative way to do something that was already working perfectly fine. The usual format tests paddling skills and ocean knowledge (i.e. how to get back to the line-up in the optimal manner) as well as wave-riding and selection.

I suppose the compelling factor for comp organisers is that it maintains the pace of the action, which presumably encourages more spectators to attend.

I think, on balance, that skis shouldn't be used in comps, and particularly not in reserve areas. Perhaps I'm just biased against skis generally, as an example of mankind's sheer contempt for the environment and natural resources. The only role I think they should have in surfing is tow-ins for the big wave boys who would have no chance at paddling-in, and as safety craft.

I might change my mind if someone develops a ski that is quiet and has no negative impact on the environment.

ps - I'm probably a hypocrite on the environmental aspect as I have a 4wd :oops:

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:28 pm

cs wrote:...
And, my missus is pregnant, so I am gonna have children :D :D :D
Are you going to take them to nippers? :lol: :lol:

cs
regular

Post by cs » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:38 pm

ha ha, too far down the track right no...
Imagine having your kid threaten to confiscate your board when you ride thru the flags!!