i'm interested in u broken h-2 set going CHEAP
40%

Total votes: 5

fong

fins fins.fins.fins and more fins

Post by fong » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:11 pm

u know why glassed on fins are better :?:

cause u don't have bloody choose :idea: :x

i need a new set fins....i also have 2 X h-2 mediums 4 sale :roll: ( THE OUTER LEFT ONE I'LL GIVE U FOR FREE CAUSE I RAN OVER A MAL AND FROCKED IT :oops: :x )

i didn't actually like the h-2 that much...there gay :x

i like g5's.... but want try something else :?:

there got b loose mega loose....i'll sacrifice drive for loose....suggestions :?:

and don't say try a fcs fin loan centre...i want go surfin and get use my fins...not spend a week frocking with endless varieties :roll:

p.s i swear...next boards a single...i'll dumb it down :idea: :!: :x

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:32 pm

What sort of board Fong?
go the G-YU for my all time favorite small wave fin.

Speaking of fins - I need to place the fins on this nice 5'11' x 21 1/2' x 2 3/8 fishy thing I just shaped. I am tossing up between a twinny with a little stabiliser, Speed fins or the old school twin keel set up. Any comments?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:40 pm

rails .................................... and rails, rails and rial youse up
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

wambie ripper
Grommet

Post by wambie ripper » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:15 pm

what aout the kelly slater flex fin,
for your needs they sound alright
with a g1000 in the centre,
or u could also just go twinne....

prefer drive over looseness
pc-3s do it for me

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: fins fins.fins.fins and more fins

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 pm

fong wrote: there got b loose mega loose....i'll sacrifice drive for loose....suggestions
Get a new board :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:47 pm

barstardos wrote:Speed fins or the old school twin keel set up. Any comments?
B-Man, Speeed have recently introduced a new ‘multiplug’ which takes both FCS style tabbed fins and Speeedfins. The Speeeds will no longer click-in, but use a grub screws either side of the base so they still have the free trailing edge.

I wouldn’t do a keel job especially glass-on, but I have never ridden one so what I base it on god only knows, observation I guess. Just like the idea of flexibility of fin choice. So maybe a compromise of side with the plugs in situ for a stabiliser in case you feel you want it.

Depends on the board too and what you are after ride-wise and how much you like stuffing around with fins.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:55 am

Thanks Ric, I liked that speed setup too so will go with that, the FEN fin looks like it will do the job

fong

Post by fong » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:27 pm

wambie ripper wrote:what aout the kelly slater flex fin,
for your needs they sound alright
tried em and love them......thanks heaps, i'm buying a set :!: :wink:

i'm gonna give the pc-3's a run too......but i'm pretty stoked with the k-fin....shits all over g-5's

wambie ripper
Grommet

Post by wambie ripper » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:49 pm

thats good to hear,
another happy fcs customer :roll:

cheesey101
regular

Post by cheesey101 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:06 pm

fong wrote:
wambie ripper wrote:but i'm pretty stoked with the k-fin....shits all over g-5's
havent even used the g-5s but i can say easily that the k-fins easily one of best in market. wudnt consider changin

wambie ripper
Grommet

Post by wambie ripper » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:23 pm

g-5s are one of the best stock standard fins on the market.
As they are very versitile, they can be used in just about every surfing situation. But if you want specilixed performance e.g. long, drawn out cut backs, or tight pocket surfing, then you are best getting a fin that will perform for that sort of surfing

fong

Post by fong » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:50 pm

wambie ripper wrote:g-5s are one of the best stock standard fins on the market.
As they are very versitile, they can be used in just about every surfing situation.
i think the g5 also really complement virtually every design :?

u can put them in a variety boards and find they function fine :?:

wheres as...say yu's are best in a gun....or h-2's only really work well in a fish....g5's bridge those divides :idea:

i got last years model of the kelly flex fin....little bit less raked than the new version....$65 thu.....told kelly makes a 1.4 mil a year just on endorsing his fins :shock:

bastard....as if rooting cameron diaz isn't payment enough :x

wambie ripper
Grommet

Post by wambie ripper » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:51 pm

^^^^^^^^

he has about 5 bloody different types of fins in his range.
The 7x world champ ones are rediculeslly over-priced, something like $120 a set! Now he has just released his 8x world champ ones, which apparently are for more draw out turns, rather than the previouse pocket surfing designs.

Besides, he only uses the k2.1 centre fin, with a combo of two side composite fins :shock:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:23 pm

heh heh YUs are my standard fin. i had some small h2s, but as soon as some size, they slide out on rebounds and floaters(on a decent sized wave). changed back to YU and they hold in really well...nore more bastard slide outs.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:20 pm

I only have a couple of boards that I use (actually have to sell the others) and I find by changing fins to suit the conditions you can make them more versatile.

I have a Webber Afterburner and it can surf from 1' to 6' no problem but I use about 3 different sets. For really small waves, I use the CRVs they add an extra foot to the wave size. I use PG7s for 3-5' and TC redlines for anything bigger. Anything bigger than 5 or 6' and I'll use a rounded pin with a set of Sunny Garcia fins. That will surf up to 8'. Cheaper than 3 or 4 boards.

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Wed May 02, 2007 9:45 pm

I heard usuing G5 side fins and G3 centre fin is basically the same as K2.1 fins. Except the new G3's and 5's (M3 and 5) have better materials in the glass flex with inside foil. The K2.1 fin in glass does not have the inside foil!

rmshapes
Grommet

Post by rmshapes » Thu May 03, 2007 7:01 am

There are some unreal new fins that have been filtering into the market. The new FCS AM dual foil is a smaller version of the AM which has been around for years. Haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty sweet. And the new range of hex core fibreglass are unbelievable. Also, there is a relatively new brand called Raptor. Their glass-ons are pretty much as good as they come and lighter with positive bouyancy. The system they have devised is similar to FCS but the fin has a pin through the base of the fin which the grub screw pushes down into to hold the base tighter and eliminate lateral movement, so it reacts more like a glass-on. You can also retro-fit your FCS fins to use in this system. If you order Raptor system in your board, the standard set of fins are a definite upgrade from standard FCS.
Futures are still a good choice, especially if you change fins frequently. They only have one grub screw and fit easily. I've had great success with the Vector 2 454 Rusty fin. From what I've seen of Speeed's new plugs, it looks better than the old system but the fins seem to have a bit of movement at the base.
Now as far as templates to recommend, there are so many to choose from but one must always take into account the bottom curve, width in tail, weight of the surfer and size of surf.

fong

Post by fong » Sat May 05, 2007 12:35 am

rmshapes wrote:.
Now as far as templates to recommend, there are so many to choose from but one must always take into account the bottom curve, width in tail, weight of the surfer and size of surf.
EXACTLY......it does my head in :oops:

i like flex in a fin...&....well &...u know it's a feel thing....i'm lost too describe it :?

p.s road one u boards other day rm.....VERY,VERY impressive quailty of finish and glass :idea: :!: :!: :!:

glassin fins too :lol: ( we both no a chater boat operator up this way :wink: )

the board didn't work for me....it was a hybrid fish shape.....

but thats just me.....i'm either FULLY fish or FULLY Shortie :idea:
( with a bit mal in me on flat days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

top glass job thu.....and i'm fussy :!: