those new ones with a inner foil
60%
i'm interested in u broken h-2 set going CHEAP
40%

Total votes: 5

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon May 07, 2007 9:07 am

guard wrote: Can you get removable fins on a twin keel?

Would quads be similar to long base twin keels?
Guard, I think FCS has a keel style fin now. May even take 3 plugs to house :idea: come to think of it doesn’t the Walden ad link have a board with 3 plugs, pretty sure it does?

I must be the opposite of you Guard, I don’t know why anyone bothers with glass-ons, spoiled for choice. Always used to crack at the base from either sand or personal contact.

Quads versus keels, don’t know I suspect the quads are looser, but I haven’t ridden a keel. Why don’t you see if you can grab a tuflite demo?

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Mon May 07, 2007 10:03 am

Anyone else use M5 and M3 combination?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:55 pm

Is anyone still using the original "tool-less" Speeedfins? There's a set of new ones ( the honeycomb core ones that look like the FCS performance core ) on ebay right now for ten bucks and no-one seems interested!!

jfdi
regular

Post by jfdi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:37 pm

The beauty of glass on's is that you get a 'total machine' - ie. an integrated board/fin design for a specific wave/style you have in mind. Downside is that if conditions are uncertain you may need to cart a small quiver around, but for sizeable/quality surf I think this is the ideal way to go.

I've tried many fin setups but for the needs mentioned, these all work really well on short boards (up to around 6'9") up to 8' surf :

- g3 side, g5 centre
- g3 side, gyu centre
- 'traditional single fin template/size with something like mal side bites
- fins something between h2's and G5's but havnt a clue who made them. But raptor have something like them I think.

The smaller g3's, rather than G5's, I have found give that extra looseness, with a slightly larger center fin relative to the size of the side fins, provides a touch of added drive/hold/longer arcs when you need it.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:30 pm

your a classic salty.....we are so similar yet so different :shock: 8)

p.s the range of fins does my head in :shock:

i'm not buying anymore :lol: glass in's feel better and more drivy anyways :idea:

mad
charger

Post by mad » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:44 pm

Salty, get yourself onto a set of M5's, with the concave thing happening. Play around with the trailing fin, say a G3. Bewdifool :wink:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:18 pm

salty you could always try the FCS AB fin, after all it's designed to be used with six-channel boards. Smaller fin without a scrap of unnecessary volume but with a super refined template curve along both leading and trailing edge. Holds and drives a deep turn without resistance.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:31 pm

Is an inside foil a concave on the inside of the right and left fins?

Lucky

Quad Fins

Post by Lucky » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm

For anyone interested in quad fin set-ups check out this page.
http://www.mckeesurf.com/brucemckee/multisystem.htm
Anyone out there ridden a Mckee?
"money is something you gotta make in case you don't die"

swift
regular

Post by swift » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Jimi,

The iside foil is Convex. It is curved more like your regular centre fin.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:51 pm

swift wrote:Jimi,

The iside foil is Convex. It is curved more like your regular centre fin.
Think the Future Vectors are literally concave toward the tip (inside surface)...

Mr Nicholas Carroll is a fan he will know. “Oi Nick, you out there?”

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 am

having only one board @ my disposal last couple months and heaps swell....i've mucked around with fin combos :arrow:

his the results

k -fin......shitty colour.....very good all down the line fin on big sucky waves 8)

g-5's.....good fin in smaller under 6'' type stuff...the plastics one tend flex bit much when push in hard turns :shock:

yu :arrow: brillant one wave...lacking the next.....mystery fin.....does my head in :oops:

well thats my fin round up :lol: i'm waiting anxiously for me new board....glass in soars....none this fcs wank :!:

hey i'm told it now costs $100 put fcs into a board :?: :shock: thats why every boardmakers looking design there own plug ins :?:

anyone know if thats true :?: ....geee rovings never looked cheaper :twisted:

crack
regular

Post by crack » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:09 am

fcs easy to sand

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:49 pm

Am I slow for only JUST discovering that EVERY fin in the FCS range has the same leading edge curve / rake?

I couldn't believe it... I went through all the thruster set up fins and overlayed them in photoshop ( shut up I soooo am not a GEEK!!! AM NOT!!! ) and they are exactly the same. Sure, the base length changes, the tip volume changes, the trailing edge changes ( heaps ) between models... but the leading edge of the fin... that's holy it seems!

Note you can't establish this by holding two fins next to each other unless they are the same height... but if you overlay an Occy fin over an FG-5 over Sunny over a DHD-2, the curve is identical ( just scaled up or down ).

Speeedfins are slightly different.... more raked back and slightly flatter through the middle of the curve... but like FCS, any fin in the range still uses the same curve.

It makes you realise what a departure something like a H-2 ( or the Speeedfins hydro equivalent ) really is.

So I am now wondering... where did this curve come from? Who established it as sacred? Who first put it down on a piece of paper? I also wonder, does it represent a compromise that shapers of old who actually sanded glassed in fins to fine tune boards lament? :shock: