Round or Square tail?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Newie

Round or Square tail?

Post by Newie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 am

Hey crew, I am looking at a new board and I'm chasing a bit of advice. What are the differences between a round tail or a square tail on your shortboard?

I'm actually thinking seriously about the Darren Handley Margo Pro (Square) or Darren Handley Margo Nugget (Round).

I usually ride a rounded square and find them a pretty good all rounder. My local is an average beach break that ranges from overhead to waist high, I usually travel to the South West about once every couple of months.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Natho
barnacle

Re: Round or Square tail?

Post by Natho » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Ok just talking in very general terms ( and not taking the board models you have suggested into consideration) my own personal take is as follows:

- Yes rounded square/ squash is a good all rounder. They tend to sit a little higher in the water than a rounder tail. They tend to be a bit more snappy through turns and can have a bit more up and go out of the gates than a rounder tail on the same board.

- round tail/ rounded pin = less surface area and tend to sit a little more in the water. They hold in well and tend to draw out your turns giving you a smoother arc when on the rail. The round tail also gives you a bit of a ball and socket pivot feel. They often need a bit more push or steepness in the wave as they can sit more in the water if you don't have push, and the curved outline can create a bit more drag. Once they get going though you shouldn't notice this. Also some shapers will slightly lower the tail rocker to compensate.
To me you can't beat a good rounded pin in good waves. They just hold in better and you can push em harder through your turns.

I would say if you are not sure then a rounded square will be a good all round option. A rounder tail may take a bit of getting used to as they can feel a bit twitchy if you jump on one staright from a rounded square in average waves.
A rounded square is going to be a bit more suited to average surf.

Again this is only in very general terms and Im sure some old crusty know it all will now jump in and tell you everything Ive said is wrong or something. :lol:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:02 pm

BTW I have not looked at the Margo Nugget however sounds like it could be a wider small wave style board with a round tail?

A round tail on a wider style board can assist in getting the board rail to rail and also make the board a bit more versatile by pulling in the width in the very back end allowing it to turn and hold better.

A round tail as a result can be a very good option for these types of boards. My original post relates more to a standard shorty. Again this is all very general as their can be so many variations in all this.

Firekane
Location: Curly, Queensy/ Steyne, Longy, DY, South coast, North coast

Post by Firekane » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:48 pm

To be honest, if you are getting aboard that is completely different to the one you are ridding (sounds like it) a decision in tail type is irrelevant. It will act so differently you will not notice a change in tail type. But i agree with Natho, it depend on what you intend to use the board for.

If it’s an all round conditions type board I would say a rounded square is a must, it gives the best result for an all round board. Especially if you like them.

If it’s a specialty board, small wave, big wave or fun board, I would ask the shaper what he/ she suggests for that type of board, and keep an open mind.

If your buying off the rack and it has a round tail its supposed to have a round tail. One other thing to remember is the shaper will have made the board to the way he/she thinks will make it perform the best, so go with what’s on it.

Have fun with it either way.

Newie

Post by Newie » Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 pm

The board I am riding now is not that different, a little less rocker maybe. It's designed for the beachbreaks around home during summer.

I need something for those days when there is a little bit more push in the swell. I am 6'5" and about 95kg so I need volume BUT I don't want that to be to the detriment of performance.

I might try it, I've never had a round tail before but I really enjoy that loose and lively feel of a square.

Thanks for the advice guys.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 am

Natho wrote:Again this is only in very general terms and Im sure some old crusty know it all will now jump in and tell you everything Ive said is wrong or something. :lol:
Good analysis, well written Natho ya little... :lol:

Newie, you could go in between, seen some sweet thumb tails. :idea: And rest assured you have 50% of get your decision right.

Haven’t ridden or made a square tail in years. :shock:

bwd

Post by bwd » Wed May 05, 2010 8:00 am

Go the round tail. A lot of fun.Just advise the shaper your height, weight ,ability + conditions you ride in . Also mention where you hope to ride.

S,M,L,XL

Post by S,M,L,XL » Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 pm

greetings from a fellow West Australian,

Is it a secret harbour board you're after, or a Down South board ?...two very different beasts.
Unless its a small-wave wide roundtail type board you're after, I don't think Mandurah waves ever warrant anything tighter than a rounded square.

If its a board for the Margs juice...think about the type of surfing you do down there.
Powerful waves - solid surfing...big bottom turns and top turns at speed. Rail surfing, big tubes. You want hold and control, the waves are generating your speed not you.

This obviously depends a bit on the waves you usually surf down there and your style to a certain degree, but as a general rule, rounded pin or even pin is the way to go. That's all i ride down there unless its tiny, same with all the local rippers.

You've got Clearwater in Mandurah...great boards, and heaps of great shapers down surf that surf these waves everyday and know what works. I ride D Macs down there, siick boards, but he's but one of quite a few between Yalls to Margs who make awesome sticks.