Enough Already.

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

scroopulis
Local

Enough Already.

Post by scroopulis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:38 pm

What on earth are those blokes thinking walking around with their boards covered in stickers?

If you're not sponsored, for christsakes, take the fu(kin stickers off. Why would you want to endorse someones product unless there's something in it for you anyway?
After the performance I saw the other day of one spazmoid with the fattest quicky sticker on the nose of his board, I pondered the question, watching him flail time and time again over the falls - Why do it?

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So true :lol:

bc
charger

Post by bc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:23 pm

I do it cos it represents my unique character far more than a boring plain board does.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:33 pm

ok...i can take a hint :oops:

i'll peel my sticker..... it was all bit tongue in cheek

but the other shimano sticker staying on the car :P

sponsered or not :lol:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:55 pm

I bought one of Pancho Sullivan's ex "Bushman" boards two years ago on the Nth Shore. Had a few stickers and didn't feel comfortable although I still kinda rip. :lol:

Da Duke
regular

Post by Da Duke » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Your mate might have been borrowing the board from a Quik employee. I've done that myself as the board was sick but I still felt - unworthy.

Saw a bloke recently who had obviously decked out his board to look as much like a sponno as possible. Electric on the rail, Rip Curl on the nose and a bevy of other logos scattered in "randomly" selected photo savvy positions. He even had a Rip Curl wettie and the customary spray design on the back half - the one that looks like the artists may have be sniffing more than he's spraying. This guy could surf but by no means was he a ripper worthy of endorsement. My first impression was he's got some pros board but apparently thats not the case. Then I thought maybe he uses it to snag niave impressionable young chicks. Nup. Thats just the way he rolls I'm told. Too bewildered to approach the guy and ask him personaly I just put it down to him being a pathologically delusional numbie.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:19 pm

The sticker on the brim of a cap is the worst.

aitch
regular

Post by aitch » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Hahaha classic

I must admit to getting my first firbreglass board. A Skip 5'9 channel bottomed three fin box thruster (and dudes quizzed you on what a thruster was if you were rockin anything remotely 'surfie') And by 10 am christmas morning I've covered the thing in stickers - tripleM, tracker trucks, pink floyd - you name it then ripping on the thing, in the pool for the remainder of the day. yeaaaaah

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:29 pm

personally, id never do it. to me nothing beats a fresh plain white sharp looking shooter. i dont like to have anything but a tailpad and the shapers logo on the board. i once stuck a sticker of the australian flag on a board, and also one of a mates company as a free plug, but tore em off after a while, i love me a plain white board

Dubbwah
Grommet

Post by Dubbwah » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 am

I work for an aussie surf/skate company,I have kids asking all the time for stickers,why?
so they can put them on broken boards they've found and take em down to aloha and sell em.(no more)
I'm sure Tim and co are on to them.
other stores sticker up second hand boards and claim to backpackers, "yeah,this was ......... board,great board,you'll rip on it"
I don't rip hard but I'm sent logo branded team stuff to wear in the water,it's free,no one else has it,but I'm sure as fuck not stickering my board.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Here is a question:

How much would a company (not the boardmaker mind you) have to pay you in order for you to put their sticker on your board?

What's your price? Everyone has one.

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:21 pm

$1.25

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Here is a question:

How much would a company (not the boardmaker mind you) have to pay you in order for you to put their sticker on your board?

Would you drive a car decked out to advertise a chocolate bar :?: :wink:
Not :) Oh, if they throw in a 'ferrari' :oops:

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Here is a question:

Give me free boards & I'll put on whatever bloody stickers you want me to.

cousteau
regular

Post by cousteau » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:44 pm

i took a barely used Webber hand shaped board (rare these days) down to Aloha, when i got it i wanted the full stealth, so not even a webber sticker on it only a signature on the stringer.

Shocked when, my mate Maurice at Aloha said i would only get $300 for it,
i proudly pointed out it's under cover staus. "mate if you had stickers on it you would get more, people want stickers".

pfft

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:31 pm

For me it would have to be worth whatever ridicule I was going to cop ....

eg: for a feminine hygene brand I'd want a lot more money than say a brand of beer ....

I knew a guy years back who won a juniors contest and won a board , custom shaped but came white with the coke logo in red from nose to tail ... he rode and liked it but sold it because he hated the logo on it ...

similar to some of the sales rep cars you see driving around ... sure it's a free car, but some of them look pretty stupid with all the company stuff all over them ...

year's back I was getting free boards from a few different manufacturers but I never questioned how much branding they put on, but also back then they seemed to just add a few extra logo's than normal and that was about it ....

I'd happily promote Victor or Rover on my boards for free yard equipment ... :wink:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:46 pm

^^^ what about a blood and bone or some manure company ... shit hot eh :roll:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:54 pm

^^^^^ when I was a sales rep in a branded car the unbranded cars of mangement were the envy of all the sales team it was our goal...an unbranded car.

I have had a few boards that have belonged to pro's and I ripped the stickers off as soon as I could. I don't even put my companies stickers on my boards, that's for the team guys.

A mate and I discussed the possibility of paddling out on a stickered up board to get more waves, the theory being they think you rip so would pull back and let you go as they assume you are a superior surfer, would only work for the first wave tho then we would get dropped in on all day :lol: