California in April/May

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

California in April/May

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:21 pm

A bit of tentative planning for a possible trip next year. Nothing like starting early.
Anyone know how cold it would be around May? Water temp plus land temp?

Is this too late for Rincon?
Any other general advice re:boards, wetsuits, food, cars, etc?

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Booger or surfer?

If your a booger going to the wedge, thank your lucky stars, i wish i was you.

In videos they seem to wear wetsuits alot, rarely having boardies.

I'm sure someone else will be more help

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:25 am

well i know that the airfares are highest at that time :)
Hot chicks.

But im sure nick carrol would know a lot :P

From memory ive heard it gets hot but the water fa%^in cold.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:39 am

Ah! My area of expertise!

I grew up in Santa Barbara (which is about 30 mins north of Rincon) and surfed there from '69-'84 until I got wise and moved to Sydney.

If you can choose a time of year to visit California, go in January because it is the most consistent time of year for the whole coast and if you spend a couple weeks there, you are essentially guaranteed at least a couple Rincon-able swells. During the three weeks I was there this year, there were four distinct and juicy west swells.

Water could be an issue, but I was fine in a wimpy 3/two Sydney steamer. Temps from LA south to the Mex border will likely be in the 13-16 range, while up at Rincon it'll be in the 12-15 range. Head up to Santa Cruz and Mavericks and you're looking at the 10-13 range. Booties and a hood will keep you cosy for a couple hours.

April-May on the other hand is not only colder, it's generally much windier and the big storm systems in the Gulf of Alaska that power California surf spots are getting weaker and fewer and further between. It's unusual to get a session at Rincon in May.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:43 am

May's a very good time for SW swells -- see Orange County (Trestles etc) and a bunch of other spots sth of Ventura -- but you're likely to run into the nasty early summer combo of coastal fog bank and early morning onshores.

The SW swells miss many of Don's favourite waves (the SB pointbreaks like Rincon, El Cap etc) but they do hit the top end of the Ranch, if you can find a boat and drive to the northern fringe of that magical piece of coastline. (Good luck with that!)

Further north there are numerous Secret Spots exposed to SW swells, but in the classic tradition of Central CA locals, all I can tell ya is go and find 'em yourself.

If I were to go to CA on a nothing-but-surf trip I'd go in December and score the first couple of bigger winter NW groundswells, there's a heap of great isolated waves between Santa Cruz and Pt Conception where the swell energy is nice and strong, and some classic "glass-off" spots down in San Diego county (though packed to the freakin' gills). By January that central coast area is hostage to blustery onshore gales (CA's version of our winter southerlies). Just make sure you invest in excellent rubber 'cause the water is FREEZINGLY COLD.

PdogH
regular

Post by PdogH » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:32 am

I'll add my 2 cents worth.
I went in December/January 05/06, so not at the same time as you.
BUT you'll have an awesome time as there are heaps of waves everywhere. I drove the entire coast from San Diego to San Fran.
My favourite spots (for surf) were San Diego County and Orange County.
SD had the best waves by far while I was there, had some particularly good sessions up a bit around Encinidas - Oceanside and also La Jolla.
Surfed Huntington and Newport in the OC but got chronically sick from the water at Newport so watch out if it has been raining - the water can get filthy.
Wasn't much swell about when I was in Santa Barbara but as someone else said seek and you will find as there are plenty of spots between SB and Point Conception. SB was a great place with cool architecture - go to the lookout at the courthouse - it's a cool building.
As soon as we drove above Point Conception the weather changed completely from fine and sunny to foggy, raining and cold.
I didn't surf alot from SB to San Fran due to swell, weather, water conditions. Surfed Pismo Beach and Cambria they were ok but not great.
Once you get to Santa Cruz there are masses of spots, if you get the right condiitons you'll be sweet. I also checked out Mav's just to say I'd been there (didn't surf it - fark that)

Anyway have a great time and explore! :D

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:33 am

I'm voting with the others and say that October to January is really your best window on the West Coast. October is usually Indian Summer with the first NW swells and warm days and offshores-then as you head into Dec-Jan the fun really starts with massive storms spinning off the Siberian Peninsula and the the Aleutian Islands creating epic W-NW swell after swell-a great time to be around SB/Rincon etc-although, basically there's waves all over the West Coast. Don't discount Oregon either-there are some amazing waves up there-Seaside in particular (despite the ridiculously over protective locals) is a WORLD class wave.

May can be OK-but it tends to be small swells-the beginning of the S swell season which is good around Ventura and S-but it's neither here nor there-not full blown summer and all the S swells and it's too late for winter and its epic NW swells.

Also-in Dec/Jan there's the added benefit of less crowds and cheaper deals (outside the holiday peak times) and there's SNOW in them thar mountains, too.....

Matt

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks for the informed advice. This all has to fit in with a few other variables so I'm not sure just yet how flexible our travel plans will be but it would only be a few weeks either way rather than months to choose from.
It should be fun whichever way it goes. I might ask a few more questions once dates are more concrete.

If I was going to take up lid riding I guess the Wedge would be a great place to start :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:00 pm

Just paddle out, it's really fickle. And from the videos I've seen the crowd is placid.

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:10 am

Beanpole wrote:
If I was going to take up lid riding I guess the Wedge would be a great place to start :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then you'd have to get your mummy and daddy to drive you there after Disneyland....;-)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:33 pm

Can I have an icecream too. :D

The guy who makes hydro fins nearly had his leg ripped off bodysurfing the wedge so I'll leave it to the young, brave and bendy. :?