Fiji

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

fletch
regular

Fiji

Post by fletch » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:32 pm

I'm thinking of surfing Fiji this year. Has anyone surfed Fiji? Can you give some tips on where to go and what to do? And maybe what not to do?

I'm thinking of staying on Malolo Lailai Island.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:06 pm

not sure where that island is.

heaps of waves in momi (? spelling) bay(cloudbreak, wilkes, namotu, lighthouse, restaurants etc) but crowded and $$$$. Sigatoka rivermouth is ok. as is natadola and Hideaway reef. not first class though. Research Frigates passage off coral coast. just about as good as cloudbreak and consistent. if you have time go to kadavu island from Suva. sick waves at south end. see Cape Washington. And in middle of east coast. though this side is exposed to trade winds. but take some gifts for the local villages if you want to stay there. South East from suva are some sick waves but pretty hard to get to and i would be shot if i let you know sorry . but worth the adventure if you have the time and money and inclination. In 'off season' try going North.... wOOt. gets very good. but again check out some nautical maps from a state library for some info. Need a lot of time for north. Not much but go mate. the people are sick ... sooooo cool.

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:49 pm

ooops

Just realised I posted in the General Section. Maybe an admin would be kind enough to move this thread to the Travel Tips section.

Sorry.

roscoediboscoe
regular

Fiji

Post by roscoediboscoe » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:02 am

Malolo Lailai is part of the Plantation Island / Musket Cove Resort set up.

It is a good launching pad for Wilkes, Namotu, Cloudbreak, etc. - Only problem is Namotu, Tavarua and Cloudbreak (owned by Tavarua) are private breaks and can only be surfed by guests paying about $1000 dollar a night. "How anyone can own a reef in the middle of nowehere is beyond me"

You can surf Restaurants, Cloubreak or Namotu lefts on a Saturday when the guests are leaving and arriving - we chose to surf Cloudbreak (as you would) and scored it overhead with 8 guys for a 2 hour session (stretched it out a bit further and nearly missed our connection back to Plantation).

You may also jag a 1 hour session at Namotu round lunch time when most of the island guests are having dinner.

Get "Big John" OR "Son of Big John" to take you from Plantation - it's not as cheap as an outrigger to Kuta Reef of course - I think it was about $20 Fiji - On a big swell you could also surf "swimming pools: at the back of Namotu or Namotu Rights if no guests are surfing there.

All in all Plantation is a good place to stay - A good session at Wilkes is a bonus if the swell direction is right - when we were there the swell was hitting it front on and it was mostly shutting down - while the big paying yanks were getting filthy waves rolling down Namotu lefts 100 metres away - not happy :evil:

Good luck - Fiji is great to just relax anyway

:)

dicko

Post by dicko » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:37 pm

I agree with Rosco. we stayed at plantation and surfed wilkes most of the time. boat ride was $40. and could only surf Namotu on a Saturday. We also had a bad week of swell. The classic "you should have been here last week". Probably wouldn't go back just because you can't surf the good breaks.

on the other hand plantation was a great place to stay.

73Jackal

Post by 73Jackal » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:06 pm

Staying at the big resorts can really cost you big $ if you are not careful. If you are there on a package deal make sure it includes food as they will hit you on this big time.

Around the Nadi area the cheapest option by far is to stay at Seashell Cove Resort http://www.seashellresort.com/ on the mainland and get a boat out to Wilkes, Lighthouse Reef and the other surrounding breaks. As with most things in Fiji, don't rush a thing because it will only get you frustrated. If you want the boat to leave at 9am, tell them you want to leave at 8 or even earlier as nobody is in a hurry in Fiji.

You can't bet on getting waves at Cloudbreak/Nomotu/Restaurants on a Saturday either as the pricks who own Tavarua (pay off the local chief, should I say) may accept your "application" or not. We were told there was a local comp on which was complete crap. There wasn't even anyone staying on the island and nobody surfed Cloudbreak for 8 days straight despite it being 6-8 foot and pumping....criminal.

If your girl decides she must join you on your surf trip, try Nagigia Island which I'm told is great http://www.fijisurf.com/ and has some beginner spots as well as a good left reef.

There are, of course, other great spots which are less crowded including one very similar to Cloudbreak (without the Nazis) that you can't see land from. But, you'll have to do your own research to find that one.

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:51 pm

Great tips, thanks guys.

I'm abit worried now about how much I'll have to pay to get out to the reefs and whether or not I will be allowed to surf at some reefs. I'll do some more research, no doubt the answers are out there. Thanks for those links Jackal.

lol it's amazing how quickly the concept of capitalism catches on isn't it :?
Last edited by fletch on Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cousteau
regular

fiji

Post by cousteau » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:23 am

Why surf the net when you can check a realsurf forum

I too am looking at a Fiji break come July with wife and 2 young grommies,Plantation Island seems the go any other spots around.kids club is a must.

Any opinion welcome.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:12 am

try hideaway resort. time it so the tide is coming in in the morning. kids club and great staff. small but hollow and uncrowded righthander, albeit short, out the front. can paddle from the beach. then you can get a lift up to sigatoka for a rivermouth break ... not far. black sand though. if you are going aroound christmas the new swell direction means there are interesting waves along the coral coast. people don't surf them cause they are not epic. BUT, they can be super fun if you keep your eyes :shock: Plantation is the best though and very affordable.

roscoediboscoe
regular

Fiji

Post by roscoediboscoe » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:56 pm

Yeh!!

And by the end of your holiday at Hideway you'll know all the words of the "Sun Dance" off by heart.

kid's will love it!!!!