getting cash in Bali

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

daleknowles
regular

getting cash in Bali

Post by daleknowles » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:31 pm

hey everyone, since I am going to Bali for the first time on Sunday (yahh) I was wondering if you could help me, my wife has read that it can be difficult to get cash out in Bali, that you can only get about $40 AUS at a time out and it's dodgy, does anybody have any tips for me about this, we are there for 3 weeks and only have 2 days accomadation planned and paid for, we are going to be trying for more remote locations...

Also if anyone knows a good place to buy a board off the rack in the Kuta area please let me know (I already know what I want for dimensions, thanks ric, iggy and company)

cheers and 'see ya in the water'

PS we are going to bring a bit of a stack (of cash), is it best to get it changed at the airport or elsewhere, we won't however have enough for 3 weeks as we are not comfortable carrying more than a few hundred around.

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:41 pm

You can get money changed all over the place there, but theyre these dodgy little stalls. Some offer better rates than others but theyre probably just shadier characters. Just watch they dont slip you the ol', "pile of sly small notes with a token large note on top". There's a pretty sure thing building like an embassy or something when i was there, cant remember where though..? Anyone? But nah anyone will do it just pay close attention so you dont get ripped off.

Gebrad

Post by Gebrad » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:43 pm

dont change your money at the airport.
change it at the kodak shops. there are heaps through kuta. good rates. never rip u off. and the give u a receipt. i havent taken money out of atm 's over there. so i cant offer any advice. have a good trip.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:38 pm

Gebrad wrote:dont change your money at the airport.
change it at the kodak shops. there are heaps through kuta. good rates. never rip u off. and the give u a receipt. i havent taken money out of atm 's over there. so i cant offer any advice. have a good trip.

I agree - Kodak shops are good, but usual rules still apply - count your cash carefully before leaving the store and make sure you do your own calculations instead of relying on what you're told. Current buying rates are around 6200 Rupiah.

ATMs seem to be fine. If you're a CBA customer, take your Streamline card and use their ATMs (there's one about Kuta Halfway opposite the beach).

As for boards, just go to Poppies gang I and II. Ignore the pretend surf stores on Jl Legian unless you're super rich.

Have fun and be nice to the locals.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:29 pm

take money from here over there use atm as last resort. and watch them when counting the money they are vvveeerrryy shifty