medewi point west bali

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

mudguts
regular

medewi point west bali

Post by mudguts » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:36 pm

well i want to go for a holiday with the missus for a week. sort of staying away from the main tourist places. surfing will not be the main pursuit but i would like to sneak the odd wave or 10 in.I am not an expert surfer by any stretch of the imagination so want to stay away from heavier reefs. But in saying that i am not a long boarding geezer either. being goofy footed lefts obviously appeal to me.

has anyone been to/surfed medewi area? It seems like it would suit me pretty well. How does it go in say late august time? Does any one have any other suggestions of places to go around bali at that time, keeping what i have said earlier in mind.

dy_fo_life
regular

Post by dy_fo_life » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:56 pm

Medewi=The Collaroy of Bali, but have heard conflicting stories that at low tide it does get more wally and a few bowls.But have never been so don't take my word on it.
Better stopping off at Balian which is halfway between kuta and Medewi...better early mornings as the wind stuffs it in the dry season arvos.
August is good but try and go around full moon/new moon as you will generally get swell even if it is only tidal.

dy_fo_life
regular

Post by dy_fo_life » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:03 pm

here's a link cause I ain't busy http://www.8bird.com/surf/bali/medewi.html
Looks heaps better than the roy.

mudguts
regular

Post by mudguts » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:13 pm

i cant read japanese, but the pictures do look good.

i don t understand the collaroy joke cause i am a south sider

dy_fo_life
regular

Post by dy_fo_life » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:24 pm

i don t understand the collaroy joke cause i am a south sider
Don't worry half of them over here don't get it either.

Zaffa
regular

Post by Zaffa » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:08 pm

Medewi is a pretty low key place - there is a more expensive place to stay with pool etc and a a couple of cheapy places. the wave is really mellow and quite long. Only really surfable in the morning as it is really wind affected. not the most picturesque place in the worls and the black sand beaches get some getting used to

Other places to stay - 2 words Bukit peninsula. My fave places to stay were balangan and bingin - awesome beaches, cool people and cheap.

Damien
regular

Post by Damien » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:16 pm

A couple of points for you to consider before you make your decision.

Medewi is point break like wave where it is very unlikely that you will get barrelled. It is a fatish type of wave that you don’t really come to Indo to surf. You mentioned that you want to avoid the heavy reef breaks. Most of the more famous waves in Bali are only “heavy” on low tides. On high tides there is heaps of water covering the reefs and you are extremely unlikely to hit the reef when the swell is small to medium. Case in point – I have seen a lot of beginners hurling themselves head first over the falls at Ulus with absolutely no idea of what they are doing on high tide small days and I have yet to see one of these clowns hit the bottom. Don’t be put of these breaks just because they are reef breaks. If you are a competent surfer get out there and experience some world class waves without bothering about places like Medewi. If you wish to do this, go and stay on the bukit at Ulus, Bingin etc. Much quieter than the zoo that is kuta and you will get the early morning sess before the day tripping party animals arrive from kuta and you will get the arvo when they all leave. Stick to small to medium swells on high tide till you get your confidence up.

Also, there are very few places in bali if any that are off the tourist track where you will get surf. If you want somewhere quieter than the chaos of Bali, go to Kuta, Lombok. You can fly to Mataram one way for about 30-40 $aus. From there a bemo or taxi to Kuta is only about 15$. Kuta, Lombok is like Bali was 20 years ago although there are no where near as many breaks as Bali. The small number of breaks is more than made up for by the lack of other punters. And you can ride a motorbike around without it being a death defying experience.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:15 pm

watch out for the pollution there. on 3 occasions Ive been there Ive got a ear infections.your better off staying at legian and surfing the beaches there.At least you might get a wave to yourself.and beware if the locals come out of the woodwork they will all rip.kelly Slater clones!!!
Lombok is a good idea...but just be safe.yes you can get it uncrowded but some of the people there,unlike the other indos seem to have a little animosity towards Australians.A mate of mine nearly had his arm chopped off a few years back staying at Deserts
there are however heaps of waves around.