Around the world trip with multiple surfboards

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

stuwat011

Around the world trip with multiple surfboards

Post by stuwat011 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:49 pm

Hi there,
I'm taking off on an around the world solo surf trip next year for the whole year. I plan on taking 3 boards in a multi board weelie bag and other necessary shit. Any one out there done a trip like this and it's been all cool taking the boards?

These are my stops:
Bali
Vietnam
London (not surfing)
Spain, France, portugal, morroco
Ireland
Los Angeles
Costa Rica
Brazil
Peru
Fiji
Gold Coast
Back home to West Oz

Anyone with tips or great places to stay where I can safely take my gear would be greatly appreciated...

Yew

Stu

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:47 pm

hi
been to all those places except Morocco.
It all depends on your budget. If you are on a budget the best book to get is the shoe string guide book.although they need to update it more often.just remember that certain airlines(American cough cough) charge a lot for surfboards.
do your research on high and low seasons.basically the fringe time is the best(less crowded). I would totally organise my holiday around the non high season.Less crowded,less expensive,more accommodation.
Learn Spanish!!!for brazil,costa and peru.You will be surprised how few people there speak english.If you learn the English /Spanish language section of " A shoe string guide to South America" you will be fine..
Bali...cheap and barrels and massages abound
Vietnam..beautiful people and very cheap
London ...expensive
Spain...drink,eat,drink,eat,drink ,eat...sleep
france..fringe season best.
Ireland..friendly people,a little expensive and good surf
Los angeles...culture shock!!!
Costa Rica...fun
Brazil...vibrant and good surf(do research)Capital cities at night can be ...um dangerous
Peru...good long perfect waves,carefull at night sometimes and if your travelling through South America stay away from bandito roads
Fiji...fickle,freindly,kava and if you ever have the opportunity to surf the best left in the world at restaurants on tavarua..DO IT.
Gold coast..crowded,commercial and if the points are going off..get fit.
west oz....you lucky bastard