Fiji

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chamberess
Owl status

Fiji

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:34 am

Hi All,

before you say anything im sure there has been a topic on this but im a lazy bum and would like more recent info in any case.

so tell me,anything i should check out while im there.i want to do a fair bit of diving as well,has anyone done any diving in Fiji to give any dive site reccommendations?

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:52 am

spoon just left yesterday and is getting back next wed so he should have some hints. i went when i was young so i cant remember much apart from the night markets :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:58 am

Ms Chambs, is this a post-surgery lay-off or are you smurfin’?

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:14 am

family member is in tow and i think i would cop alot of crap if i even went to surf for half a day so im in two minds about it

just a holiday,i made a plan to travel more this year

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:21 am

Chamberess wrote:family member is in tow...
well there’s your first mistake :?

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:23 am

yep sure is,but its a birthday present to them.like i had a choice :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:27 am

Chamberess wrote:yep sure is,but its a birthday present to them.like i had a choice :roll:
It’s not about THEM, it’s about YOU! :D When are they going to learn, honestly?!

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:29 am

hahaha indeed! :P

im known for going AWOL in my family

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:31 am

So, mainland or island(s)? You realise at the end of all this I have nothing :twisted: :D

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:24 pm

hahaha ive got that part sorted

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:25 pm

No answer? OK, I’ve heard it can be pretty difficult to surf the likes of Namotu now as they have claimed exclusive rights, ala Tavarua. So the only possible opportunity you get is changeover day, Sunday. Wilkes Pass is still open to all comers.

There are some tide dependent reef breaks off some of the resorts on the mainland, but can’t direct you. Nagigia, etc you can do your own homework via web sites.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Some Fiji Surf Links

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi Guys,

In a similar situation myself at the moment. Had to come to a compromise with the wifey on surf versus luxury resort. Came up with Mana Island. About 20 mins North of Tavarua / Namotu / Wilkes. There is a guy on Plantation Island called Big John who will take you out for $50 fijian a day. Or you can get a tour through Ian Muller at Fiji Surf Shop They run from the mainland / Nadi which about another 20 mins away. It will cost you about $150 fijian to link up with them and then $50 to do the 3 hour tour...a 3 hour tour.

Meh, was wondering if anyone can give me some advice re waves to expect. I really don't see surfing 15 foot Tavaru with 50 other guys on free for all Sunday as 'fun'. Anyone know if there are a few longboard waves around. I have heard Swimming Pools and Restaurants are good but you run into the resort ownership problem again.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am

yay i just got my tickets today,fly out on tuesday...cant bloody wait!!! :D

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:43 am

Nice mate,

Just got back from my trip. I posted a quick summary in the travel area of the forums if you are interested. Where abouts are you going / staying?

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:47 am

staying at the sheraton denarau.

have kinda left everything up in the air until i arrive.i dont wanna pre-book stuff only to get there and something happens so i have to cancel and lose money.

going with another family member so i wont be able to get out to surf the whole time.

but im definitely looking forward to the trip.but the weather looks a tad dodgey :?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:18 pm

Nice,

We stayed at the Sheraton for a night either side of our trip to the Islands. Have you been in touch with Ian Muller at Fiji Surf? He and his mate Dan seemed to be the best for boat transfers to Wilkes Passage. Unlike most of the surf tours there, they won't just take you out if it's crap and then sting you for the money.

Dan's mobile in Fiji is 9417594.

We were able to surf Swimming Pools one day as well. I actually thought that was another of the Namotu only waves. Our guide that day had limited English so I wasn't sure if we could surf it because no one was out there or because it was open slather.

Really dicovered that surf in an all or nothing proposition around Nadi. If the swell is anything else than SSW-SW then it will be crap at Wilkes. Namotu will still have a wave but thats a mute point.

Anyway, hope the weather turns around for you!

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Nice,

We stayed at the Sheraton for a night either side of our trip to the Islands. Have you been in touch with Ian Muller at Fiji Surf? He and his mate Dan seemed to be the best for boat transfers to Wilkes Passage. Unlike most of the surf tours there, they won't just take you out if it's crap and then sting you for the money.

Dan's mobile in Fiji is 9417594.

We were able to surf Swimming Pools one day as well. I actually thought that was another of the Namotu only waves. Our guide that day had limited English so I wasn't sure if we could surf it because no one was out there or because it was open slather.

Really dicovered that surf in an all or nothing proposition around Nadi. If the swell is anything else than SSW-SW then it will be crap at Wilkes. Namotu will still have a wave but thats a mute point.

Anyway, hope the weather turns around for you!