advice please: buying a board in Bali

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

daleknowles
regular

advice please: buying a board in Bali

Post by daleknowles » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:47 pm

I will be heading to Bali the first of august, I will be boardless and need a a stick.

I am an okay surfer, but will be out of shape to start as I've been out of the water for 6 months, so I'll stick to Kuta beach and reefs, cangu and other moderate places, nothing bigger than double overhead.

at home I ride a 6'4" 18 3/4 2/ 1/4 epoxy board, I only ride this board, it doesn't get too big at home, (I'm from Canada) when it's really small I surf an old 7'2 gun style, it's like what Laird would have surfed in the early ninties and is 2 3/4" thick... pink yellow and blue, a real 'paddle in to Jaws' board.

I'm 6'2" and 77kg or so. I only want to buy one board, and I may want to sell it before I leave. Does anybody have any advice.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:19 pm

dale,
from memory of my last trip there boards arnt cheap to get in bali.
probably best to try and take one with you.
your 6'4 would be fine but a 6'6 to 6'8 would probably be best for you.

where are you leaving from? can you get a cheapy before you leave?

I will be coming back on the 1st but sorry i wont have anything that would suit.

good luck
scot

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:36 pm

The issue for Dale is the ridiculous fees the north american airlines charge to carry boards. Prior to boardmaking getting a start in Bali, most of what you bought there were cast-offs from Americans for whom it was better value to flog their sticks off for 25 cents in the dollar and buy a newy on their return.

Fortunately the Aussie airlines are much more reasonable!

I haven't been there for ages - does anyone have more recent info?

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:47 pm

I'll be coming from South Korea, where I'm teaching english... therefore I'll have no board, ironically enough I'll be flying Singeporian air so there are no board charges... boards are available here, but I doubt they will be suitable or cheap....

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:49 am

For one board quiver there is no need to go much longer than your normal shorty. You can go slightly longer if you want (say inch or two) depending on your skill level. I find many guys travel to Bali with these great long guns. Normally they are not needed and your normal shorty will serve you well in the majority of waves you will get. You would only ride a semi gun on say 2 days or so out of a 2 week trip. It also depends what waves you want to surf. Yep I would say an extra 3 inches would help if you are going to surf Padang.

The thing is if you are going to be riding 3-5 ft waves most of the time (which you probably will) then there is no need to go too long. The length will help you get into the wave, but once you are into the wave the extra length can be a problem (if you go too long).

When I was last in Bali i rode my normal 5'11 shorty most the time and only rode my 6'2 twice.

Just buy a second hand board in Bali. No need to pay all that cash for a new board.

Damien
regular

Post by Damien » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:08 am

Boards used to be expensive in bali. Due to the bombings, subsequent downturn in tourism and an explosion in board shops and boards particularly in Kuta, you can now get cheap new boards. Do a bit of haggling and look around. I bought a new board for about 470$ a year ago. There are a squillion board shops in kuta around poppys 1, 2 and Jalan Legian. Go explore

One thing you will need to ensure that you have a decent and heavy glass job and a bit of thickness through the middle. You dont want to snap it on the first decent swell. There are some good aussie shapers in kuta where you can get a new stick for about $500 aus. These would be better quality and last longer.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:03 am

One thing I forgot to mention if you buy a second hand board in Bali....Be careful of buying a second hand board that has been snapped. The local stores are good at getting snapped boards and repairing them to the point where it can be hard to tell if the board has been snapped. As an example be careful of buying a board which has a spray job covering the stringer. they love to mask a repair job and sell the board to you at a hefty price.

Most of all have fun and enjoy the waves Bali has to offer. Keep in mind that now is peak season and the more known spots will be crowded. Sometimes you will find great, less crowded waves at some of the not so known spots. ie. Ulus is nearly always crowded at this time of year.

Its always good to help out a friendly Nova Scotian. I have many friends in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland. Just gotta get a thick enough wetty so I can take up some offers to surf the place. Last time i was in Halifax the guy running the local surf shop offered to take me surfing but it was so friggin cold. You guys have big nuts for surfing over there in that temp (or should I say you would have a big chin once you hit the water).

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:03 am

Dale, There is some info here with prices as roughly converted below: http://www.ombakbagus.com/boardsforsale

That equates to boards from approx AU$400 / USD$300 presumably direct from the manufacturer. The ‘known’ brands from retail outlets will no doubt be more expensive and I believe there are plenty up there as already pointed out.

A friend does ‘Pure’ boards for Bali to their specs, size and volume wise, and they tend to cater more for the tourist/backpacker market so the boards have a bit more volume which may not necessarily be a bad thing as Iggy pointed out. He glasses them the same as for here 2 x 4oz deck, 1 x 4oz bottom. Try The Pit Station(?) on Jalan Legian.

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:17 am

Wow,

Thanks everyone, I feel much more comfortable looking for a board in Bali now.

I think I'll get 1/4" thicker, more glass, and 2 inches longer, so like: 6'6" 18 3/4" and 2 1/2" with a round tail, I really liked that suggestion, reminded me that I bought a round tail for my trip to mexico a few years ago and loved how smooth it was, my current board is a square tail, a bit too snappy for my style.

I realize it will be crowded, but I plan to go the early as much as possible, (stay away from the beer) and try to hit up some more remote locations.

PS from that webstie from Ric boards are cheaper than I thought! at home a new board is usually around $625US

Oh, IGGY and all, would there be any benefit to buy a board with more parallel rails????

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:39 am

If you are only going one board you still want some curve in your planshapes so I wouldn't go too parallel. You will probably be carving more walls than you will be surfing long barrells.

2.5 seems very thick, however I don't know what you weigh and how you surf. If you are not sure going a bit thicker won't hurt. If you are going that thick it may pay to go a slightly domed deck so that the thickness is under your chest where you need it, but not distributed out to the rail as much. A round tail is good, however I would suggest that a squash would be a little more all round and an easier transition from your square. If you like the way a round tail surfs, then go for it.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:53 am

Just looking at the dimensions you want, going 18 3/4 wide is still probably going to give some curve in you planshape. Keep in mind that the shaper will/ will have determined the planshape for the board you want anyway. Shapers are not always keen on changing their planshape templates too much.

I was going to suggest going 2 3/8 thick rather than 2.5 considering your current shorty is only 2.25. Then I realised you a riding an epoxy. Taking into the added floatation of the epoxy, 2.5 thick on your 6'6 may not be a bad idea for you.

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:37 am

actually my 2 1/4 epoxy is not like an al merrick flyer, but the brand is: "Pulse", it's a little earlier model of epoxy, (I bought it a while ago in California) it has about the same float as a fibre glass I'd say or less even, it also is 'closed cell' so even if you drill a hole in it, it won't take in water, it's really tough and all decen breaks at home are rocky, so that's why I hold on to it.

So I think I may take your advice, and go with a 2 5/8ths, is that gonna make it any more likely to snap?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:41 pm

Buy a boogie board and cover from Corby's shop - they come with extras.. :D

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:58 pm

Yeh I would not go any thicker than 2 3/8 then (NOT 2 5/8).

Your stronger glass job is going to help more with snapping risk. Performance is going to be most important and I think 2.5 will be way too thick.If it was me I would stick to 2.25 but if you want you could go up to 2 3/8. The difference between 2.25 and 2 3/8 will have more effect on how the board surfs than it will on how easy it will snap. Don't get caught up in going thicker just to lower snapping risk. Just get a stronger glass job.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:05 pm

Im not sure what iggy means by boxy rails = short radius respose???

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:23 pm

Natho wrote:Yeh I would not go any thicker than 2 3/8 then (NOT 2 5/8).

Your stronger glass job is going to help more with snapping risk. Performance is going to be most important and I think 2.5 will be way too thick.If it was me I would stick to 2.25 but if you want you could go up to 2 3/8. The difference between 2.25 and 2 3/8 will have more effect on how the board surfs than it will on how easy it will snap. Don't get caught up in going thicker just to lower snapping risk. Just get a stronger glass job.
Sorry Natho, but Dale might not be a whippet like you and get away with riding sub 6' wafers. :D Keep in mind he has been turning to a soft, sickly, pastey, marshmallow in Sth Korea for some months and irrespective of what he may have been doing he is NOT going to have surf/paddling fitness and that is not going to magically reappear. :D

To this end, and yes it is personal, I would much rather have too much buoyancy than be missing waves and generally struggling. You can always ride accordingly, but if you ain’t catchin’, well... Add to this Iggy’s point re nice carvey rails with some bite :mrgreen: then I say 2.5 is not a problem.

Dale that comment about the marshmallow... well you just know I’m not serious :roll: so are you confused yet, or can we get onto fins and rails some more :twisted:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:51 pm

Exactly. Thats why I suggested in another post that it doesn't hurt to go thicker. But when someone is looking at going 1/4 thicker for what appears to be no other reason than to limit snapping, then I would disagree (Unless I read things wrong).

I always say one is better to go too thick than too thin, esp when you are a marshmellow. Thats why I also suggested it is hard to tell without knowing his weight and experience level.

Going from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 on a board that is only 2 inches longer is still a big jump. It all depends also on how the thickness is distributed in the board.

I prefer some thickness in my boards, and go towards the more boxier end of the spectrum on my rails. This suits my approach to surfing as I am fairly heavy footed, stocky and surf hard off my rails. I don't like very low rails in general.

I normally ride 2 1/4, however Nick Nacks little bro (name drop) was kind enough to give me a go of one of his shorties that was 2 3/8 thick. I thought it would be too thick. I found it hard to tell that the board was any thicker as it came down to the distribution of the thickness in the board. The thing went unreal for me. So sure 2 1/2 could work a treat for Dale. I am sure he is aware that these are only suggestions and he will make up his own little Nova Scotian marshmellow mind (sorry Dale).

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:19 pm

I did leave my glasses at home iggyson.

My point was supposed to be I was not sure what you meant by rail shape having a relation to radius of turn.

Now i can see this could turn into a long discussion on how one surfs off the rail, what part of the rail comes into play (forward / back), tail and plan shape, length of board etc. So I think we will leave that one.

I do think far more comes into play with radius of turn than actual shape of the rail.