Cook Islands

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

roscoediboscoe
regular

Cook Islands

Post by roscoediboscoe » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:35 pm

Heading to the Cook Islands in July - sort of a keep the wife happy holiday mixed with a bit of surfing.

Anyone been to Rarotonga and surfed there??? - OR - know of someone that has.

I've read various reports of there being surf (not world class) but surf nonetheless

:?: :?: :?:

jackjackjack

Post by jackjackjack » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:59 pm

Yeah i know kneelo1 surfed there last year. He'll fill you in.

kneelo1

Post by kneelo1 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:22 pm

Here's some info i've gathered on the breaks around Raro. I only surfed at Avarua Harbour but its all pretty straight forward. Every break is situated at a fresh water river outlet, a break in the reef so you gotta be committed. Its a long paddle, right out at the outter reefs where the breaks are and you wont have anyone else out there with you in most cases.

One things for sure: NO CROWDS! So be prepared to surf on your own. There are very few surfers on the island. It only takes about half an hour on moped to get around the whole island so you can check everywhere pretty quick. This place certainly has alot of potential.

The greatest thing about this place is that its untouched by surf camps. you go where you want, when you want.

Hope this is helpful.

Avaavaroa Boat Passage:
This is a thick gnarly right hander in front of the resort.

The Rarotonga:
Hollow reef breaks, lefts and rights, very shallow. Longer and more shallow than golf course, best over 6ft, often the only spot not blown out in summer.

Golf Course:
Fast, hollow left and right reef breaks. Left is better and longer. Best wave on Rarotonga.

Avarua Harbour:
Long, peeling left with easily set up, hollow sections and dangerously shallow coral heads at the end of the ride. N-NW swells, best 6-8ft. Line up directly over the wreck of the "Matai" whose boiler is above water.

Ngatangiia Harbour:
Left and Right reef break peeling into channel, NE-E swells to 8ft, best on incoming tide.

Norrie Park:
Deepest break of all with nice long sweeping rights. Easy take offs and slower wave than the others. Good in E-SE swells 6-8ft. Park your car or bike right at the edge of beach.

Hi! this is from kneelo 1's leggie (ie.leg rope),
Rarotonga, what a beautiful place to snorkel, relax and enjoy island life with your family. The Rarotongans are a wonderful race of people!
Surfing, now that is another story. I asked a local on one of our first evenings, where he recommended a good break would be for tomorrow. He was happy to make suggestions and then showed the huge scar across his back and mentioned one of the above breaks, then his friend did the same.
A few days later I watched a beautiful outrigger get smashed to pieces (no exageration) while kneelo 1 sat waiting out there at the same spot for a wave. I went home and sat on the beach with a cocktail and awaited his return....
My suggestion is you ask any local with big scars on their backs (any one over the age of 10 has them) and they will tell their tale, with pleasure.
The next thing is to figure out how to move your board around the island on a motor scooter. The morning circumnavigation is fun - no helmet, just your board and you.
Enjoy.

roscoediboscoe
regular

Cook Islands

Post by roscoediboscoe » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:53 pm

Kneelo1

You're a legend

Thanks for all the info - we're staying at the Rarotongan Sunset - I've seen a shot on their website gallery with a pretty nice looking lefthander out the front, would that be Golf Course?? - I've heard word of a break called "Social Club" as well although don't know if it's one and the same

kneelo1

Post by kneelo1 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:09 am

The road around the island runs along the beach the whole way so you won't miss much on your morning lap. The break names don't mean much
except some of the obvious ones so just use your eyes and senses. You haven't much choice as there are so few surfers around it makes it a bit tricky to spot the happening break. I thought a little pair of binos would be useful as most of the breaks are a bit out there.

The place off your hotel is a top spot. Long paddle. Take some booties in case you have to walk across the reef.

Dial

Post by Dial » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:19 pm

Was there for 10 days in May 2000. didn't get a surf but on the day we flew out the northern reefs were off-shore and looked the goods. Problem I had was that the swell was to big on the windward side but not big enough to wrap into the golf course or the boat harbour. Still had a great time, a bit boring but very relaxing and friendly. Say at Sokala Villa's with your own private pool. +1 will be happy