Flying in Indonesia

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

doug
Grommet

Flying in Indonesia

Post by doug » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:58 pm

Im planning a trip through Indonesia soon and was wondering if anyone has flown between Bali and Jakarta. Is it easy to just turn up to the airport (Denpasar) and get a flight? any problems taking boards? any idea of the price?

Thanks

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:47 pm

hey mate, yep i have flown from bali to jakarta ... no probs getting a flight once i got there & no probs with boards etc etc ... denpasar airport can be a bit stressful, but you won't have any problems at all in terms of getting a flight or getting your boards on a flight.
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

NCP
Grommet

Post by NCP » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:56 pm

I pre-booked my flight from Aus, so I don't know about turning up at the airport to get one.
A few things I do know but...
1. If they ask how many boards are in your bag, say 3. You get taxed for having more.
2. If you have a long stopover in Jakarta, take some money or some mags or something. I couldn't find any ATMs, and there is not alot to do, so my 6 hr stopover by myself with no money or reading material nearly sent me crazy.
3. Learn a little Indonesian. Just being able to say a word or two has made things a LOT easier for me on more than one occasion - Not because they can't speak English, but just because if you say a couple of words in Indonesian they will not treat you like a complete punter.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:24 pm

guard wrote:If its too pricey you could try the train which takes like 40 hours or something..Kinda really roughing it i hear...
Dont think its an enjoyable trip.

Or get you could bus/hitch it.
dont they ride on top of the train around that way

doug
Grommet

Post by doug » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:28 pm

Thanks for the tips, I returned a week ago. Planes were dead easy to catch with so many doing that route. If you book ahead with air asia costs about $50 and can book online. If you leave it to the day you want to fly they start jacking the price.