Hawaii late march

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Waz78

Hawaii late march

Post by Waz78 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:16 am

G'day, I'm currently living over in London but will be spending 6 days in Hawaii on the way home.

I'm looking to pick up a board when I get there and then stay on the North Shore in a backpackers.

As I havn't been in the water for a year I'm not looking to go chasing any big waves, just some fun waves up to the 4-6 ft max range is what I'm after.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good spots to look out for and also of any good surf shops where I'll be able to pick up either a new board or a good quality second hand one. As it is the end of the season and with the good exchange rate at the moment I am hoping to get a decent board with out having to pay a ridiculous amount.

Thanks heaps for your help.

Geoff

Post by Geoff » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:21 am

There are a couple of good surf stores in Haleiwa. A brand new longboard would be in the range of $US500-600. Shortboards are in the range of $US300-400.

The end of March thru the beginning of April is a dead spot for surf. The winter swells are dying off and the first of the summer swells haven't shown up. Although some large NNW swells continue to roll through at the moment. The good new is that the winds also die off at this time so any waves that are around don't get chopped up too much.

Waz78

Post by Waz78 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:12 pm

Thanks for the advice Geoff. Will check out the surf stores in Haleiwa.

One last thing, would there maybe be better surf shops around Waikiki to pick up a board? I will be spending my first night there so could have a look around there before heading up to the north shore, so it might be best to look there?

Cheers

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:50 pm

Hey Waz

Like Geoff said....

Regarding surf - there's lots of farily reasonable waves around Oahu , so its not just pipe & waimea style crazyness. Check some of the spots near Haleiwa.

For places to stay, when I was there I stayed at a back packers/camp ground forget the name but its the first right after the bridge at Haleiwa (heading north). Nice people, nice place but can get crowded. I also stayed with the guys who owned the bike shop around there - if they are still taking 'guests' they're the first place I'd check out. Their site seems to be down but the way back machine has a copy with some contact details.

http://web.archive.org/web/200307140335 ... index.html

Ask for Kevin or Scottie - super nice guys with an amazing house above Waimea.

If you get a chance - also check out Kauai - mind blowing stuff.

All the best.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:02 pm

I spent some days in September and October on Oahu. Believe me the north shore is flat then!! The ocean floor is deep until real close to shore hence in small swells shorebreak only. Waikiki, Diamond Head Beach and Ala Moana areas (all on the south side) had swell when I was there but Waikiki was by far the smallest of the three - you needed a bloody big longboard to ride it. Go to Sandy Beach if you want to break your neck.

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:27 pm

8) If the surfs small go to pipe on a longboard it sounds stupid but it would be cool. wear some aloha print boardies take a mal and get into that spirit.

i also agree check out kauaii

Waz78

Post by Waz78 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:02 am

G'day - thanks heaps for the replies everyone. At the moment I am in Canada and due to leave for Hawaii on Friday. Trouble is I've sprained my wrist snowboarding so have to get it X-rayed today to see if it is broken or not. Regardless I think it is going to put me out of the water while I am in Hawaii, which is a real pain in the arse. Still hopefully it will get better in time and I'll be sure to check out the spots around Halewia or on the south side depending on swell direction while I'm there.

Thanks again and will try post an update on how things turned out when I get back to Oz.

roosters
regular

Post by roosters » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:34 pm

chrisb wrote:Go to Sandy Beach if you want to break your neck.
HAHA YEAH THOSE FRIGIN SHORIES R HEKTIC