Transoxiana

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Transoxiana

Post by steve shearer » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:33 pm

anyone?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Transoxiana

Post by Trev » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:04 pm

I got nothing.
You going there?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:30 pm

Interesting history:

An ancient and fairly amorphous region, Transoxiana was the home to the oldest series of states in Central Asia. It was generally described as being located in and around the river basin of the lower Amu Darya (the River Oxus) where this empties into the Aral Sea, and in the far reaches of north-eastern Persia. Its territory varied greatly depending on who was ruling it, but at its height it stretched into most of what is now Afghanistan, eastern Iran, central Turkmenistan and southern Kyrgyzstan, plus central and southern Uzbekistan and all of Tajikistan (which together made up the core of ancient Transoxiana). The name now belongs to an eastern province in Iran and a region in north-western Uzbekistan.

Transoxiana serves as the crossroads between Central Asia, South Asia, and the Near East. The cities of Bukhara and Samarkand were often included in the region, which could also encompass a large number of other such cities. The Kel'teminar culture began the process of climbing towards civilisation from around 6000 BC. The first millennium BC satrapy of Chorasmia generally formed the western section of this region. The name received its first historical mention in the Avesta. It was bounded by the Kizil Kum Desert to the north-east, in the corner formed by the meeting between the Syr Darya (the River Jaxartes or Iaxartes) and the Aral Sea, and the Kara Kum Desert between the Oxus and the Caspian Sea.

Three groups of Indo-Europeans were identified by ancient authors as being inhabitants in or around Chorasmia is the later first millennium BC. One of these were the Saka Tigrakhauda who occupied open grasslands around the Aral Sea, in modern south-western Kazakhstan. The pointed caps they wore would be sized according to seniority, with the tallest being reserved for the chieftain. This group of Sakas has been linked to the Massagetae of Strabo, who bordered the region to the north in the sixth century BC. However, it seems highly likely that the Massagetae were Scythians of a sort, and a distinction is drawn in ancient records between Scythians and Saka.

Strabo also identified the Attasii and the Chorasmii (Chorasmians or Choramnians) of Chorasmia as Massagetae, making them sub-groups of the main Massagetae collective. Athenaeus places the Chorasmii to the east of the Persian satrapy of Parthawa. The earliest known rulers in Transoxiana are placed in the 600s BC, but these are based on an oral history which was only written down much later. Then Chorasmia (and most of Transoxiana) was conquered by the Persians.

https://www.historyfiles.co.uk/KingList ... warazm.htm
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Steve was obviously looking up some trans stuff when he stumbled across this place.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:31 am

Incorrect knob end.

I was actually reading about Mongol Invasions and the historical developments in Central Asia- related to Ukraine actually.

In particular a king called Timurlane.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:54 am

Genghis Khan was an amazing human ... the mad rooter was a master tactician and an extremely canny ruler, or should that be Khanny ruler ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:58 am

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:31 am
Incorrect knob end.

I was actually reading about Mongol Invasions and the historical developments in Central Asia- related to Ukraine actually.

In particular a king called Timurlane.
:D
Sorry.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:49 am

It's funny to me how that history has largely been forgotten in the politics of victimisation/oppression.

It's almost like history begins with the west African slave trade and European colonisation, yet the slavery/genocide/mass brutality/colonisation that occurred through Central Asia absolutely dwarfs that.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:17 pm

Presumably not over there though.
It’s pretty obvious that the awareness of victimisation is more acute where it happened.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?