Mexico- Puerto, la Punta etc

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Wyre
Owl status

Mexico- Puerto, la Punta etc

Post by Wyre » Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 am

Anyone been? I'd be surprised if not.

The Wyres happen to have a good friend who lives at la Punta, near Puerto there and we have an open invite to go stay. Porqué no?

Plan is to go with family next October sometime, culminating in the dia de los muertos celebrations at Oaxaca.

Surfwise, not planning on dying but would be fcuking awesome to get some tooobs.

So, what's the best/cheapest option to get there? SYD-LA-MEX CITY-PUERTO? Any tips on that side of things?

Also, would it be easy to buy a board over there? Must be a few, no? Just don't really want to travel with two kids and board if possible.

Any advice/warnings/tips on the surf/places to check out, much appreciated.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Mexico- Puerto, la Punta etc

Post by buddy » Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 am

I went in 2007. You'll be able to buy a board in Puerto easily if you're happy to not have your own.
We went Air New Zealand - LA - Mex city - Puerto. But I'm sure you'll be able to search pretty easily the best fares now.
If there's a really big swell I'd go South. The spots aren't really secret but I won't post them here. Plenty of people over there will point you in the right direction.
I'm sure your mate in Puerto will know a lot more than us here.

Hire a car and stop off in San Jose del Pacifico on the way to Oaxaca. Stay at Catalina's if she's still alive and get on the mushies :lol:

Wyre
Owl status

Re: Mexico- Puerto, la Punta etc

Post by Wyre » Mon May 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks buddy! Mush appreciated ;)
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing