Pinched nerves?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Pinched nerves?

Post by Kunji » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Been surfing my ass off and hitting the gym hard and think i may have a pinched nerve in my neck.

Sitting up reading in bed i sometimes get a bit of numbness or tingling down my arms. I also think i get a bit of sciatica down my right leg.

I use the foam roller for temp relief but i think i may need some professional help. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am use to using physios after surgery or an injury but will they be able to help? Otherwise, will a chiropractor be of use? I refuse to get the neck twist thing but it certainly feels as though i need a realignment.

Cheers
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Pinched nerves?

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:52 pm

My experience with pin her nerves (on and off si cell I was 19), has been frustrating.
However, in recent years I've found physiotherapists who use a combination of massage, then exercises between visits. Provided I adhere to the exercise regime, the results are good.
Lower back when I was younger but neck issues in more recent years.
Try to find one who is a surfer.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Kunji wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm
Been surfing my ass off and hitting the gym hard and think i may have a pinched nerve in my neck.

Sitting up reading in bed i sometimes get a bit of numbness or tingling down my arms. I also think i get a bit of sciatica down my right leg.

I use the foam roller for temp relief but i think i may need some professional help. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am use to using physios after surgery or an injury but will they be able to help? Otherwise, will a chiropractor be of use? I refuse to get the neck twist thing but it certainly feels as though i need a realignment.

Cheers
Just seeing the physio at the moment for kind of similar. Arching my back too much on deads which tightened up my back and hammies and ended up with a burn in my ankle. Tight muscles pulling on the nerve. Especially when I look down and straighten my leg. Some serious digging in my lower back with her elbow and a week of foam rolling it's almost gone.

I've been to chiro's before but physio IMHO is better for what it appears you have

#notadoctor

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:46 pm

What’s your neck angle when you’re reading? Common problem is the way phones now cause everyone to look down which creates neck tightness. If your neck is at a similar angle when reading in can cause the same issue.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:53 am

My experience of pinched nerves is that it's not a pinched nerve but a muscle that has been overworked therefore other muscles are compensating for it causing pain.

I thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck, turns out it was a pectoral injury and my shoulder was over compensating. 30 minute deep tissue massage (pretty fccckn painful) from the physio and it was pretty much gone.

Go see a good physio first off.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 am

Kunji wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Cheers
It can be a few different things.
But a good physio, osteo or chiro will be able to help.

It could be thoracic outlet syndrome for example. That's where the nerves of the brachial plexus or subclavian artery , or both get compressed. Can happen in one of three places (or multiple) - between the anterior and middle scalene muscles of the neck, under the collarbone, or under the pec muscles (pec minor particularly).

I'd definitely recommend seeing someone though. May be a simple fix.
Make sure they explain to you what they think is happening so you can understand it yourself.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:38 am

This is all great info fellas. I will seek out a good physio that understands surfing and will give as much information as possible. Hopefully it can be resolved with a bit of elbow grease from them. My neck is a bit clicky which is related too. The sciatica is in the right top buttock and a bit on the outside of my calf.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Just over a year ago I had an operation on my L3,4,5 with bad damage to my nerve running down my left leg. I was out of the water for over a year before the op due to pain and inability to walk without the aid of a walking stick. I recovered from the op and have been getting close to getting back in the water. My shaping bay is now set up, unfortunately a week and a half ago my neck succumbed to a old injury. I have growth spurs on the bone plus the disks have closed up due the the injury. I also have permanent pressure against the nerves to my right arm. The end result is I have no strength in my arm. I cant lift it up above my ribs without screaming pain and have to hold my arm up to brush my teeth. I’ve seen the doc, had the scans. I’m up for another major op on my upper neck area. Back to square one, back on pain killers. I’ve almost lost hope of getting back in the water. Could be worse though.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Geez digger, that sucks.
I had a similar but less serious neck injury, instead of weakness I had uncontrollable spasms.
I know how hard it is to stay positive, but hang in there.

How's the house?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:24 pm

I've had a pinched nerve in my right hip since last week. I put it down to standing on concrete all day last week but a couple of Pilates moves probably aggravated it as well......plus a pair of work shoes with the lining collapsing. I've had niggling things like this before but this time it hurts like Fcuk if I happen to move sideways at the wrong angle. Thought I had got over it yesterday but I got a doozy after I got up out of a chair that was a bit low. I'm hoping it's going to click back in place some time soon.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:59 pm

What do you mean by in your hip?
Does it radiate down your leg at the back or front?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Side. Right in the joint.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:00 pm
Side. Right in the joint.
What makes you think it's a "pinched nerve"?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:32 pm

I'm open to other interpretations of a momentary stabbing pain if I put pressure on the joint in the wrong direction.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Try a trigger point ball/lacrosse ball into the tender muscles - probably TFL, Quads, all glutes and piriformis then you'll need to work on strengthening them all.

I know of a good home gym but you'll have to tracel a bit west.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:47 pm

I think the heavy dumbells would reap havoc with my joints. Might give the ball a roll. Shoes are the big factor so stolen thongs could slow recovery.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Yeh, that was a joke.
Don't need big Dumbbells to strengthen muscles.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:15 pm

I might get distracted by all the mirrors as well. Apparently they are set up like infinity mirrors so you can see your gluteus Maximus repeated for eternity.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?