Pinched nerves?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: Butts, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Pinched nerves?

Post by Kunji » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Been surfing my ass off and hitting the gym hard and think i may have a pinched nerve in my neck.

Sitting up reading in bed i sometimes get a bit of numbness or tingling down my arms. I also think i get a bit of sciatica down my right leg.

I use the foam roller for temp relief but i think i may need some professional help. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am use to using physios after surgery or an injury but will they be able to help? Otherwise, will a chiropractor be of use? I refuse to get the neck twist thing but it certainly feels as though i need a realignment.

Cheers
------------

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Pinched nerves?

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:52 pm

My experience with pin her nerves (on and off si cell I was 19), has been frustrating.
However, in recent years I've found physiotherapists who use a combination of massage, then exercises between visits. Provided I adhere to the exercise regime, the results are good.
Lower back when I was younger but neck issues in more recent years.
Try to find one who is a surfer.
#sixfeetissixfeet!

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Kunji wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm
Been surfing my ass off and hitting the gym hard and think i may have a pinched nerve in my neck.

Sitting up reading in bed i sometimes get a bit of numbness or tingling down my arms. I also think i get a bit of sciatica down my right leg.

I use the foam roller for temp relief but i think i may need some professional help. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am use to using physios after surgery or an injury but will they be able to help? Otherwise, will a chiropractor be of use? I refuse to get the neck twist thing but it certainly feels as though i need a realignment.

Cheers
Just seeing the physio at the moment for kind of similar. Arching my back too much on deads which tightened up my back and hammies and ended up with a burn in my ankle. Tight muscles pulling on the nerve. Especially when I look down and straighten my leg. Some serious digging in my lower back with her elbow and a week of foam rolling it's almost gone.

I've been to chiro's before but physio IMHO is better for what it appears you have

#notadoctor
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

channels
Owl status

Post by channels » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:46 pm

What’s your neck angle when you’re reading? Common problem is the way phones now cause everyone to look down which creates neck tightness. If your neck is at a similar angle when reading in can cause the same issue.

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:53 am

My experience of pinched nerves is that it's not a pinched nerve but a muscle that has been overworked therefore other muscles are compensating for it causing pain.

I thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck, turns out it was a pectoral injury and my shoulder was over compensating. 30 minute deep tissue massage (pretty fccckn painful) from the physio and it was pretty much gone.

Go see a good physio first off.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

buddy
barnacle

Post by buddy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 am

Kunji wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Cheers
It can be a few different things.
But a good physio, osteo or chiro will be able to help.

It could be thoracic outlet syndrome for example. That's where the nerves of the brachial plexus or subclavian artery , or both get compressed. Can happen in one of three places (or multiple) - between the anterior and middle scalene muscles of the neck, under the collarbone, or under the pec muscles (pec minor particularly).

I'd definitely recommend seeing someone though. May be a simple fix.
Make sure they explain to you what they think is happening so you can understand it yourself.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:38 am

This is all great info fellas. I will seek out a good physio that understands surfing and will give as much information as possible. Hopefully it can be resolved with a bit of elbow grease from them. My neck is a bit clicky which is related too. The sciatica is in the right top buttock and a bit on the outside of my calf.
------------

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man