Fiji advice

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bgreen
Grommet

Fiji advice

Post by bgreen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:30 am

I'm hoping for some basic advice about Fiji.

Seems like the options are pay bigger money for closer access or boat from the main island. Any suggestions regarding a reasonable base? I'll have my wife with me so she needed to be comfortable while I disappear for a few hours+.

I'd read winter gets more swell + trades, summer is obviously cyclone season, which comes with all the risks and pleasures of that time of year. What's a reasonable time to go?

Thanks for any advice

Bob

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Fiji advice

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:24 am

What's the main purpose BG?

Is it to surf?

Or hang out with the wife and get 1 or 2 surfs while you are there if the stars align?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Denarau Island sux. We stayed at a nice cheapie further towards the airport. Nothing flash....just cabins, bar, small pool, hammocks. Really good food. It's a bit isolated and it looked like they were on the verge of having some big developments happening in the area. Depends on how down market you are comfortable with.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:25 pm

G'day Steve,

It's not 100% surf. Things are always a balance, but I'm not one for sitting on the beach and relaxing. My plan would be to have a surf every day.

Bob

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Be prepared to pay for it then.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:18 am

There seemed to be three broad options: closer proximity to main breaks (e.g Tavarua/Namotu); boat trips from Viti Levu or other islands.

A while back I got a rough idea of the daily cost of trips from the Fiji Surf co (around 160FJD). I looked at the Namotu site, which referred me to Atoll Travel. For a week, there would be little change from $8K. I'm yet to do the maths but this would be accommodation, 3 meals and boat trips. I went to Roti last year and appreciate the option of flexible boat trips. It seems there must be waves around Cloudbreak under most conditions (baring a cyclone)

My wife had seen a place on Qamea a while back, accommodation would be around $2K for a week. There would be a number of additional costs to get there. Looked like a small number of breaks but a nearby surf-camp didn't sound attractive, crowd wise.
There are lots of islands and no doubt options (PM if you don't want to publicise one).

You're right Beanpole, it's unlikely to be cheap. Hitchiking in the 70s a guy told me about surfing Fiji. Missed that boat. Good waves for a week are worth something. How much, when and where are the issues.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:28 pm

The place we stayed at was about $120 a night. Boat trip was $120 including pick up and board rental. $100 without I think. Snapped rental board cost $400.
. Namotu looks pretty good. The lefts fun. Kind of like a milder version of the Cloudbreak setup. Reefs good for snorkelling. Surfing Cloudbreak at 60.....priceless.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 pm

A good way to spend being 60. What time of year?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Gday bgreen and welcome to the forums. I am pretty much top boy around here and Shearers a renowned poser so make of that what you will.

Namotu and Tavarua are gonna cost you $10k for you and the Mrs for a week and they are 3 star at best but right on the breaks.

Somewhere like Plantation is a lot cheaper and about 20 mins boat ride away, prob cost you $70 aus per surf. Boats normally head out 7-8am ish and arrive back about 11ish.

Its a cracking spot.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Hello Drailed,

I joined the forum a while ago,I just don't post much.

I got sent some info about Tavarua. Lots of add on expenses from what I can see.

The idea of surfing when I want has attraction, especially if other boats focus on the morning. I had a quick look at Plantation - " On some days the tour will go twice".

I've heard stories of boats going to spot X when spot Y was pumping. Ever had that problem at Planation?

Bob

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:58 pm

It depends on the customers......and the crew.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:13 am

The plantation island blurb reads like you can 1) choose to surf either the advanced or intermediate option, then
2) a break is selected once you've locked in an option.

From the web-site: "You cannot choose to visit all breaks and decide to surf the best, breaks must be chosen before departing (we’ll have info on which should be the best for the conditions on the day)".

Does this sound correct?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:28 am

Yep.

It'll depend on the crew involved.

Cloudbreak over 4-6ft is a very heavy wave and intermediates and even experienced surfers will pay to play.

Boat trip from Plantation is 30-50 minds depending on the Tradewinds

I stayed Funky Fish resort last time I went: http://www.funkyfishresort.com

That is on Malolo island, next to plantation.

They have a range of options some of which include a daily boat trip out to the reefs surfing. Extra trips can be paid for on the day.

We paid for a surfers dorm and then upgraded to a private villa for fukall extra, mostly because our boat broke down on the way out there. We got a boat trip per day with breakfast and lunch included.
Boat trip is supposed to be 3-4hrs but we bribed our boat driver with beer and pot and usually stayed out there 6-7hrs.
That felt like enough surfing for a day, although I wish on one or two days we went back out for a second surf.
A 4-5hr surf at Cloudbreak is intense and will drain the tank.

Not sure how suitable it would be for a non-surfing partner.....depends what she is into . Nice hikes, villages and snorkelling trips to Namotu etc etc.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks Steve.

I'll check this option out and look into the non-surfer options to keep things moving.

Sounds like the beer was cheaper than some recommended boat tips I've read about.

What is the rate in beer for an extra hour?

Bob

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue May 01, 2018 10:48 am

Bob, just play it out as you go along, nothing is set in stone...its fiji... depends on the captain and the day, you'll get plenty of surfing in.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable