Strahan tassie

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, Forum Moderators

Rustt
barnacle
Posts: 1418
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Rustt » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:46 pm

If I was in your shoes digger I'd be looking at this https://www.realestate.com.au/property- ... -121258434 nice place to live

Or what about st marys tassie

User avatar
marauding mullet
Owl status
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: an upside down valiant

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:04 pm

No council rates out at Penong either.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011

Rustt
barnacle
Posts: 1418
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Rustt » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Portland in vicco is worth a look, class waves, cheap housing, rental or buying.

It would also have all the support that you need, have friends that live there and they like it.

Rustt
barnacle
Posts: 1418
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Rustt » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:25 am

I know people that moved to Queenstown last year, they like it. Apparently you can get a house for 35,000. But what sort of house? Strauhn may have waves over summer with the easterlies blowing and zero swell, looks like a shallow beach. Having trial bay as a back up for when you get desperate wouldn't work so well IMO as it is a serious wave so if you haven't been surfing for a while it will eat you. I'd take what is being said on here about small town living with a grain of salt, Penong looks like no more than a truck stop, but it's a thriving community as you have found in other town in your travels.

User avatar
saltman
Owl status
Posts: 3592
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by saltman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:45 am

The place at Penong has Ye old stone shed Just the thing to shackel up passing pack packers in. Advertise it on air BNB the fullwolf creek experience
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

Rustt
barnacle
Posts: 1418
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Rustt » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:12 pm

You'd never get building approval with out a state approved rape dungeon in South Aus

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20931
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by steve shearer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:10 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 pm
Cranked's stats look fine, digger. Rain and cold doesn't stop you doing anything, just make sure you get everyone the right clothing, the right thickness wetsuits. I was down the beach with the kids on Sunday in fact: 4 degrees and drizzle and they happily spent an hour and a half looking for shells, running around like idiots etc.

And of course, that variation in weather has other benefits too. Where the typical Australian is a one-note imbecile, an over-enthusiastic blob devoid of glib European-like analysis (hi Thud), largely because of the parched unchanging nature of his daily environment, your Tasmanian appreciates and adapts. Look at Braithy. Is he dull and uninteresting, set implacably on his humourless course? No sir, he is not! Show him a vicissitude and he will grab it in both hands, spend five thousand dollars on associated kit, milk it for all it's worth over two glorious weeks and then on to the next.
By and large I'm sympathetic to your point of view Godsave, but the fact you haven't even done one tour of Duty Downunder means no matter how right you are I just can't swallow it.

It would be like me pontificating about the "joys" of Boscombe pier when the closest I'd come was west Java.

Get down here mang, and bring those sprogs of yours to show them what joys life is capable of delivering.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5419
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Cranked » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:10 pm
godsavethequeen wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 pm
Cranked's stats look fine, digger. Rain and cold doesn't stop you doing anything, just make sure you get everyone the right clothing, the right thickness wetsuits. I was down the beach with the kids on Sunday in fact: 4 degrees and drizzle and they happily spent an hour and a half looking for shells, running around like idiots etc.

And of course, that variation in weather has other benefits too. Where the typical Australian is a one-note imbecile, an over-enthusiastic blob devoid of glib European-like analysis (hi Thud), largely because of the parched unchanging nature of his daily environment, your Tasmanian appreciates and adapts. Look at Braithy. Is he dull and uninteresting, set implacably on his humourless course? No sir, he is not! Show him a vicissitude and he will grab it in both hands, spend five thousand dollars on associated kit, milk it for all it's worth over two glorious weeks and then on to the next.
By and large I'm sympathetic to your point of view Godsave, but the fact you haven't even done one tour of Duty Downunder means no matter how right you are I just can't swallow it.

It would be like me pontificating about the "joys" of Boscombe pier when the closest I'd come was west Java.

Get down here mang, and bring those sprogs of yours to show them what joys life is capable of delivering.
That's from the man who doesn't believe me when I say there's good surf 365* days a year in Bali.

*Note: of course there's not always good surf, tha'ts why I've not included that extra leap year day.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20931
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by steve shearer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:13 pm

I know Cranked, but the difference is I've been to Bali multiple times, know many expats and many more who visit monthly, yearly etc etc.

So there is a huge store of both personal experience and first hand information to draw upon.

Closest Godsave has been to Aus is the Maldives so he's talking out his arse.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5419
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Cranked » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Ah, I'm just playing around anyways
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
godsavethequeen
Owl status
Posts: 4125
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by godsavethequeen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:19 am

Oh Australia, how needy you are. I know you want it to be special, steve. Different, somehow. But really, your USP is the weather and even that seems not so terrific when you examine the facts rather than the tourist brochures. Friend of mine, spent a year in Sydney. Said the waves were shit the whole time. A year of shit waves. Another friend, has spent a lot of time in Sydney, reckons the waves there are a bit better than here but only a bit. Why the hell do you think there are so many Swanseas and Newports in Australia? You're basically living in Wales just with more flies, making me eminently qualified to comment

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20931
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by steve shearer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:45 am

Just come down and visit before your relegated to a longboard at the Pass, OK.

You can make your own judgements, and I'm sure they will be terrific.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
offshore1
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8247
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 am

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by offshore1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 am

This is just glorious Realsurf action. And it's not even 2018.
Handel's Water Music needs to be playing.
There need to be dueling pistols.
And seconds.

Now who would make worthy seconds for these two gentlemen?
Godsave's, obviously Loofy.
Shearer's, probably dayrl.
Last edited by offshore1 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

Yuke Hunt
Owl status
Posts: 4369
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Uncrowded

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:14 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:19 am
A year of shit waves. Another friend, has spent a lot of time in Sydney, reckons the waves there are a bit better than here but only a bit.
To be fair, a peering at the ocean through hungover eyes at 2pm on a Sunday at Bondi Beach, doesn't quite equate to a Welsh version of the Morgan Gallop pole.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

User avatar
godsavethequeen
Owl status
Posts: 4125
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by godsavethequeen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 am

offshore1 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 am
This is just glorious Realsurf action. And it's not even 2018.
Handel's Water Music needs to be playing.
There need to be dueling pistols.
And seconds.

Now who would make worthy seconds for these two gentlemen?
Godsave's, obviously Loofy.
Shearer's, probably dayrl.
Loofy can't even hang his own telly. He's the last person I'd want to put lead in my pistol

User avatar
offshore1
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8247
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 am

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by offshore1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:59 am

He'd probably try to snort a line of saltpeter too. Talk about "no lead in the pistol. "

Ok, second second; cranky?
ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

User avatar
godsavethequeen
Owl status
Posts: 4125
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by godsavethequeen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:04 am

Perfect!

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5419
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Cranked » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:51 am

Your friend is correct godsave. I have over 20 years experience of NSW (mainly Cronulla and the south coast) and another 10 in Indonesia (mainly Bali and the rest of Nusa Tengara) and my rough estimate is about 30 good days a year in NSW verses 250+ in Indonesia.

If you surf there is really only one country in the world to live imho
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest