swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 17745
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:51 pm

Well that's great beery. Try to focus on feeling the various muscles doing the work. The kick works all the abdominal layers plus the hip flexors and psoases, which sorta activates control of the lower back. After a couple of weeks of it you should start learning to stretch all those smaller muscles, to compensate for the increased workload. The combination of fluid work and stretching should do a lot in their small ways.

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7400
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Post by Beerfan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:49 am

Keep going Brendo, physical activity is completely underrated for your mental health imo. Side note, fkukking my knee was the best thing that's happened to me imo, as far as taking care of myself, as funny as it sounds.
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

brendo
barnacle
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:32 am

Re: swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Post by brendo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:51 pm
Well that's great beery. Try to focus on feeling the various muscles doing the work. The kick works all the abdominal layers plus the hip flexors and psoases, which sorta activates control of the lower back. After a couple of weeks of it you should start learning to stretch all those smaller muscles, to compensate for the increased workload. The combination of fluid work and stretching should do a lot in their small ways.
beery??!! :o anyway, when you say those smaller muscles, which are you referring to? im starting pilates next term, which is after school hols
but id say I would only do some light stretching till then as my back is not much chop atm. though about 20 mins in to a swim I don't feel much pain.

brendo
barnacle
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:32 am

Re: swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Post by brendo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:58 am

Beerfan wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:49 am
Keep going Brendo, physical activity is completely underrated for your mental health imo. Side note, fkukking my knee was the best thing that's happened to me imo, as far as taking care of myself, as funny as it sounds.
yea I know. I go nuts sitting around doing nothing. even sitting is hard right now as it compresses something and when I get up generally spasm
and lock up till I walk/stretch it out. geez I should b in the good movies thread been watching a lot of tv lately lol I really don't know how dole bludgers enjoy what they do. sure if you surf and there is surf would be ok, but the same shit day in day out would get :~

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 17745
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:16 pm

by smaller muscles I mean the flexors and psoases which connect your lower back to your groin and upper legs via the pelvis. These muscles are big contributors to fluid movement and fine control in all whole body movements. They're much ignored because they're pretty much invisible, unlike the big leg muscles and the surface abdominals. Tension in these muscles is a big contributor to lower and mid back pain among occasional exercisers who typically overwork them without realising it. Stretching and relaxing them really makes a difference to your ability to move without pain and/or stiffness, and warming them up prior to doing shit is a big plus. When you see an athlete working a swiss ball pre-event, that's usually what they're doing.

Lots of modern athletic gym training works on those muscles without fully acknowledging it.

brendo
barnacle
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:32 am

Re: swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Post by brendo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:16 pm
by smaller muscles I mean the flexors and psoases which connect your lower back to your groin and upper legs via the pelvis. These muscles are big contributors to fluid movement and fine control in all whole body movements. They're much ignored because they're pretty much invisible, unlike the big leg muscles and the surface abdominals. Tension in these muscles is a big contributor to lower and mid back pain among occasional exercisers who typically overwork them without realising it. Stretching and relaxing them really makes a difference to your ability to move without pain and/or stiffness, and warming them up prior to doing shit is a big plus. When you see an athlete working a swiss ball pre-event, that's usually what they're doing.

Lots of modern athletic gym training works on those muscles without fully acknowledging it.
I had been actually working on those particular muscles pre this injury but after my one in march. I realised I had anterior pelvic tilt that was getting worse, and to counter it needed to work those muscles. after 8 weeks I really noticed the difference in my posture, which should of been helping with the back but alas I blew it out again. hit the pool again today, and really notice a big reduction in pain in that SI joint area that's been shitting me. its back somewhat now, also had physio after swimming but hopefully better soon

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests