Operation

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Re: Operation

Post by Over55yrs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Very pleased to hear the progress and sure it will only get better.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:41 pm

diggerdickson wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm
I havent posted in a while now. Im totally drug free, no pain in my left leg at all anymore. I went cold off my endep and my siatic pain never returned after operation. After talking with the hospital they were a touch surprised at this and I have been advised that they did not expect the first op to return these results. Sounds like I wont need another operation and I should purchase a lottery ticket.

IM PAIN FREE and drug free for the first time in over a year. Though still tender from operation and I take things easy. I made the bed yesterday for the first time in nearly a year and it was such an achievement for me I couldnt stop smiling.

Im doing physio now, walking around a running track for a solid half hour twice a day plus exercises. I am yet to get to the pool though Im joiing up at Gympie Pool and intend to be using this three times a week, just walking the pool to start with.

Im determined to get back in the water in some form wether surfing or taking photos, nothing will stop me there.

The physio is surprised at how quick im improving yet I know the muscles in my left bullock and leg plus my core are very weak. I find it real hard to have any sort of balance during my training due to the lack of strenght and i set my goals quite low for each session, yet to me they are almost unreachable. I try not to push myself to hard, all I know is that I wont have the strenght to go through this for a third time so I must get this rehab right and keep the weight off.

I intend to start making some templates so I can keep my mind off where im at and im going to be doing them the old fashioned way with a baton, nails and masonite board. Will wittle away at the curve with sandpaper till I get it just perfect, sorta like wittling wood only better.

Hope all are well.

We are thinking of buying land up at Glenwood and moving onto it in a few years to live off the grid and grow our own food. Yup, the bus travelling really has turned me hippy and im struggling living in a house with all the mod cons, sorta gives me a feeling that aint good as we waste electricity compared to what we did for the last four years. Though while I recover this is exactly where I need to to be, walking distance from the pool, close to physio and close to pilates when I start.
Hey digger, I came across this place, looks good for you.
https://m.realestate.com.au/property-ac ... -125486158

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 am

Looks the goods, we are saving hard, real hard. Would love something the kids could put tiny homes on if they wanted to.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:46 pm

diggerdickson wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 am
Looks the goods, we are saving hard, real hard. Would love something the kids could put tiny homes on if they wanted to.
me and a mate are looking at setting up a tiny home company. we can see a market for it, particularly around the north coast farms
in the hinterland. theres a few companies in qld already, but nothing much syd region. I reckon they are perfect to with bushfire prone land as building regs are quite harsh especially in BAL 45 and flame zones. you can just hook up and drive off

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:13 pm

brendo wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:46 pm
diggerdickson wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 am
me and a mate are looking at setting up a tiny home company. we can see a market for it, particularly around the north coast farms
in the hinterland. theres a few companies in qld already, but nothing much syd region. I reckon they are perfect to with bushfire prone land as building regs are quite harsh especially in BAL 45 and flame zones. you can just hook up and drive off
brendo, im aiming at parking up bus on land with no power, buying two trailers as a base and building up a very basic tiny home from there, one for the boy and one for the girl. When they want to go on their own adventure all they need to do is buy a car with a tow bar and away they go. They will always have somewhere to come back to as a base, the land will be for them not us. Thats the dream anyways.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Stoked to hear you're doing well Digger.

I've had 2 operations on my L5/S1 disc over the years. 1 at 21 years and the last one at 29. the recovery was painful for me at such a young age and I hope I never have to go through it again.
I didn't do the right thing when it came to recovery and tried to get back in the water too early. Give yourself time. Keep the core as strong and flexible as you can.
Your mind set sounds great. If you can't get back in the water on a shortboard, there are definitely other ways you can keep surfing in your life so that's great.

All the best with your recovery.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Cheers. Digger sort have been on my own health journey so haven't caught with stuff on here,. But glad to hear you are climbing off the deck and beyond the back a little now.
No drugs, that is so good shows the strength you have inside! Pleased to have met you when you were down my way.
Good stuff Otway :-D-:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:35 pm

G'day digger. I know I've mentioned it more than once, but seriously, have a delve into meditation. For me, it doesn't make the pain go away; quite the opposite. I focus right into it and the amazing thing is that you train the brain to increase its threshold for tolerance. I rarely take antiinflamatories and when I do, it's prophelactic. Very rarely I will have a panadeine forte. I acknowledge your situation is much worse than my osteoarthritic shoulder and wrist, but what have you to lose? Helps in other ways too. I'm calmer all round and I sleep better. Average meditation time is just 15 mins a day. I'd proffer the same advice to anybody, regardless of the condition

Hope you're going well too, Ots
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:02 pm

If i ever needed another operation and needed pain relief, I wouldn't use modern medicine. What humans need for pain relief has been growing like a weed in the fields for centuries.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:03 am

JET01 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:02 pm
If i ever needed another operation and needed pain relief, I wouldn't use modern medicine. What humans need for pain relief has been growing like a weed in the fields for centuries.
yup, I was caught by surprise by all this and went through hell with modern pain killers and I believe im still mentally affected by all the chemicals that were pumped into me. Trouble is for someone who does not run in the circles or knows anyone who can get the stuff it aint so easy. Hopefully that will all change in the near future. Hemp oil is the best stuff for pain relief, two drops under the tongue in a controlled envioroment with the right strain of oil is all that is needed. It takes the edge off. No addiction issues, no mental issues, no loss of memory or so called missing months of your life, no constipation issues that only multiply as you continually get pumped with drugs to control the immense pain.

All I can say is Legalise the stuff and get it out there, the whole stuff, not just the watered down product.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Amen

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:46 pm

swvic wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:35 pm
G'day digger. I know I've mentioned it more than once, but seriously, have a delve into meditation. For me, it doesn't make the pain go away; quite the opposite. I focus right into it and the amazing thing is that you train the brain to increase its threshold for tolerance. I rarely take antiinflamatories and when I do, it's prophelactic. Very rarely I will have a panadeine forte. I acknowledge your situation is much worse than my osteoarthritic shoulder and wrist, but what have you to lose? Helps in other ways too. I'm calmer all round and I sleep better. Average meditation time is just 15 mins a day. I'd proffer the same advice to anybody, regardless of the condition

Hope you're going well too, Ots
Swvic, im doing bloody well mate, totally drug free now. I still have soreness though that is now from my workouts in the pool as I struggle to get my core re engaged and up to speed. Not surfing though. I am aiming for christmas though that will mark nearly two years so I dont think I will ever be able to surf again as I once knew it. Not to worry though, Ive had a good surfing life.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Been a while since posted. Swimming every second day now, dont last long as i need ot be careful of the strain put on the back. I walk laps of a 25 m pool plus swim one lap underwater. I sprint a few laps with a float between the legs to take the strain off the back. While swimming I concentrate on switching my core on, by the end of half an hour I basically cant move and it takes a while to recover. Tomorrow I start pilates, a private class to start with then will go with a small class, intend to keep that up long term and aim to try to get back into surfing. If I can re register my bus we are going down to cresent head for chrissy with some mates. It will be my first holiday since everything turned to shite and hopefully then I will be able to surf once more. Thats the aim anyways. Hope everyone is well.

If anyone has a training suggestion for swimming Im all ears. I just make it up as I go. Im a bit scared of pushing myself due to my injury but I know I have to get my core switched back on for my own health. I never want this to happen again. So before any crazy training suggestions please remember I dont want to hurt my back as I will push myself to near breaking sometimes.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:15 pm

I've seen a lot of of beginner/getting back into it swimmers recommend the 0 - 1650 program http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

But you might want to take it a bit easier, maybe double the length of the program (ie week 1 = 1/2 the recommended distance for week 1, week 2 = week 1, week 3 = 1/2 the recommended distance for week 2 etc). Whatever works and you are up to.

that is a program to get you fit for the 'longer' swims ie isnt a sprint program for max cardio effort/fitness; but from where you are it seems to be the most appropriate aim at the moment.