Kettlebells

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Kettlebells

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Agree with soft sand running as great for feet and ankles.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 21, 2017 5:33 pm

But walking on slippery boulders and basalt columns where every step is on an unstable platform with a different angle is hard to beat.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Gunna start my deadlift protocol in Spring , any advance tips Legion?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 21, 2017 6:07 pm

steve shearer wrote:Not really its maintenance for me but inevitably the biggest problem for people as they age is a crisp popup. Lose that and you lose the confidence to take on critical surf.
Too true, unfortunately.
Imwas always proud of my late takeoff ability.
Sadly, long gone at 69.
But I find if I really concentrate, I can still force the issue. Hard work though.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Agreed. I like to have a little space on take off. Paddling cheek by jowl with three or more people and taking off in front of five or six paddling out is leaving too little space.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun May 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Isn't the weaker paddling going to be influencing the pop up a fair bit for you old codgers?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun May 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Fcukn tell me about it.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun May 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 21, 2017 10:22 pm

how heavy should `i start?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun May 21, 2017 10:54 pm

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 22, 2017 10:20 am

sick. Sounds like I might need to join a gym or do you reckon I could do it in the garage?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon May 22, 2017 10:30 am

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 am

ok done.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Legion wrote:Probably bodyweight or less. Although anything less than about 1.3x bodyweight feels like a feather to me and doesn't provide enough counterweight.

The start position is like sitting on a dunny. Arse goes back, back stays straight. Look forward and slightly up. If you do it sans weight you'll rock back on your heels and fall over backwards. That's why you need a good counterweight.

When you get a bar, roll it back over your feet. Vertical shins means you won't hit them or scrape them on the way up. Sit on the dunny, thighs horizontal, looking slightly up and then fire quads, hammies, glutes and up you go.

Grip slightly wider than shoulder, just enough to clear your legs. Overhand grip. Crush the bar and don't drop it.

Take a breath in at the start. Hold your core strong, you need to when it gets heavy. Exhale in the last part as you reach the end. Push and lock your hips forward at the end.

If you have a platform, drop the bar. Deadlift is only the lift, not the lower. Otherwise lower under control but fast, don't try to hold it up. But don't destroy the floor if it's not up to the task.

Deadlift is a king of lifts. If you do a big one, like Coops, you feel like Atlas.
How'd you go about progressing up through the weights? As in up around 1.5xbw and above?? Did/do you just focus on deads a few times a week? Or is that too much? I've only hit 1.5xbw once or twice and I was eating like a horse at the time. Not eating as much now and have dropped in weight. Slowly building back up but slowly

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Mon May 22, 2017 7:36 pm

steve shearer wrote:ok done.
Abit over the top SS I reckon. Just think if you had asked Legion for BBQ advice.
For your needs I'd start off with a pole & 2 of those large blue water bottles cube monkeys have in their office water coolers. Pole through the handles and fill the bottles to a weight you are comfortable with. Light weight till used to technique (legion is spot on here) and if still at it in 6 months than maybe look to next level.
I think you are on the money with your routine, I would suggest only adding sets of burpees

BTW have you seen Captain Fantastic? For some reason I thought of you when watching that flick last night
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon May 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Legion wrote:
Beerfan wrote:How'd you go about progressing up through the weights? As in up around 1.5xbw and above?? Did/do you just focus on deads a few times a week? Or is that too much? I've only hit 1.5xbw once or twice and I was eating like a horse at the time. Not eating as much now and have dropped in weight. Slowly building back up but slowly
I followed a modified version of Pavel Tsatsouline's Power to the People, Comrade. And cycled on a two-week cycle. 1.5x was just standard for me back then, but 2x was a one-off that just about killed me. I was just feeling it on one particular day and went for it.

Doesn't matter. Some people can do 3x or more. 2x was massive for me. 1.5x was just standard. 1.5x bench was my record. About 1.7x for squat.

And then you see some Texan teenager lifting 4x or more.

Even now I still do something similar to PttP, i.e. C&J for ten individual sets of one rep, five times a week. No DOM, minimal tiredness, maximal strength, little to no size gains. PttP rocks and opened my eyes, Comrade. If you can get over his writing style.
Ok cool thanks I'll have a look. Strength without the size is what I'm after.

1.7xbw squat? Damn!!

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed May 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Thought this was interesting - a general overall workout for 'athleticism' (rather than strength or fitness etc) based on 4 x15 min blocks

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blo ... sy-people/