Indonesia July school holidays?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Indonesia July school holidays?

Post by Karlos » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Been awhile RS folks but thought this'd be the place to get some info, and check in to see if the poo thread is still active.

Got a leave pass for the July school holidays & want to hit Indonesia with a couple of mates. Never done it before and am wildly unknowledgeable. All the research I've been doing has done my head in so am hoping the brains trust over here will point me in the right direction. Want to keep it affordable (no Indies Trader-like coin unfortunately) & uncrowded. I reckon 3K would be my max, maybe push it out a little if the credit card can cop it. Land-based preferably & don't want to deal with Bali. Ments? Nias? Lombok? Sumbawa? I'd like to be somewhere where there's a choice of breaks.

I'm thinking that the surf travel companies might be best avoided as the one quote that one mate got was padded out a little too much with their mark-up. Or then again, am I kidding myself?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Re: Indonesia July school holidays?

Post by Karlos » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Jesus fcuking christ. 150+ pages added to the 'Just Stuff' thread since I last visited.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Karlos wrote:Jesus fcuking christ. 150+ pages added to the 'Just Stuff' thread since I last visited.
Better read quickly then.
Welcome back.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:08 am

Thank you Trev. I'm thinking that the reason for the quietness on this thread is that a number of RS contributors are currently putting together some lengthy well thought out responses to my post to ensure I make the right choices and have an immensely successful Indonesian surfing experience come July.

Either that or nobody could actually be bothered.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 am

Okay....still heaps of waves in Bali. I've been going there since 1982 and I still seem to end up surfing somewhere new each time. Not much money in promoting it though. July is prime surf time so anywhere on the Bukit will be crowded. Lots of waves everywhere as well though. Easy to go to Lombok from there as well.

I'm sure far more knowledgable contributors than myself can give you a heads up though.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Everywhere is crowded so just maybe pick the places with the waves that you want to surf: mellow, hollow, lefts, rights?

Are you prepared to travel hard and accept basic accommodation, or is comfort and easy access a priority.

Are you good enough to compete, and want to compete, for the best waves at the best spots, or do you prefer lesser quality waves where you can get some waves without too much effort?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Maybe Roti?
Haven't been myself but know quite a few that have and they keep going back. It's cheap but a bit of a mission to get there.
I would avoid Bali.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:02 pm

I've got two weeks & want to maximise my surfing time. A day or two travel on either side is OK but I'd rather not be riding a donkey to get to wherever we're going. Basic accomodation is fine by me. I'm happy to get lesser quality waves if that means minimal hassling, and presuming those waves are still quality and worth travelling for. I'm not looking for 10-12 foot + freight trains either, as I reckon I'd max out at 6-8 feet. Three forty-somethings, two of average ability & one unknown as I haven't surfed with him in years.

I'll have a look at Roti as that's one I haven't considered yet.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Lennox head mate.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:14 pm

I will never forget the first time I lobbed in Bali in 1982. It was the last place I went to in Asia and it was a welcome relief from some of the travelling I'd been doing. Anyway the point of this is I ran into this party of Aussies....a couple on their honeymoon with a couple of friends. They were preparing to travel across Asia to Europe. Surfies. A bit hippyish. They got so freaked out by the place they decided they were going home :D
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Never had much desire to hit GLand.....and that has only diminished as I get older. Probably a bit different if you're a goofy foot. I know one fairly basic ability surfer who went there and got half scalped.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:36 pm

G-Land is certainly an option but I'd hate it to be maxed out & me being an onlooker, or scalped like Beany's mate.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:14 pm

My two cents ...

Lion Air has a surcharge of 200k Rupiah per board. Garuda doesn't charge have a board surcharge.

If you are comfortable in 6 - 8ft waves then I doubt Gerupuk Bay in Lombok would be on your itinerary. The Insides break gets crazy crowded at 2 - 3 ft but the crowd dissipates when the swell gets bigger. Other than *that* left on Lombok, Mawi and Air Guling would be the punchiest waves on the island.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:16 pm

I've only heard good things about rote.
A competent mid-40s mate went there last year and said it was great.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Whenever someone mentions Rote I always think of roti bread.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Karlos wrote:G-Land is certainly an option but I'd hate it to be maxed out & me being an onlooker, or scalped like Beany's mate.
The same SW swells hit Roti and it holds any size, really! But there's very few takers when its huge.

If you glance up from the dinner table at Tirosa you'll see a very faded picture of "Banana" on a, fcuk I don't know, 40' face monster
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Turtles would probably suit you.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:40 pm

So Karlos the other question is…..natural or goofy?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?