Ribs, how long?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, Forum Moderators

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Ribs, how long?

Post by Beerfan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Ok so I got belted just under the sternum on the left side a few weeks ago sparring. Hurt bad for a few days but X-rays show no crack or break. Since then general movement is ok, and I've been light contact sparring this week.

Sleeping on my side still is too uncomfortable and I sneezed this morning and it was a hot burning agonising pain for a minute or so. I sneezed last week and it hurt but not like today. Odd I thought

How long is this going to suck for?

And what about surfing?
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Re: Ribs, how long?

Post by Beerfan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:21 pm

And what do you do to help heal it? My doctor says yo do nothing but I can't just do nothing for weeks.
we are the angry mob

BA
Snowy McAllister

Post by BA » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 pm

My dad's currently in hospital with 7 rib fractures. Basically being managed with massives doses of drugs. They've told him 8 weeks until he'll have no pain. But he's 86.

I had a cracked rib and I think it was a month or so before I was ok. I just took painkillers. Really nothing else you can do. I was surfing not long after I did it but I was probably high on codeine and made it worse.

Rest and drugs are really the only cure.
crabmeat thompson wrote:we'll put him in a headlock and feed him a penis

saltman
Owl status

Post by saltman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Bugger I thought this was a thread about BBQ recipes
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:17 pm

6-8 hrs at 110c is best
we are the angry mob

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:10 pm

I cracked a couple of ribs a while back now. Left the beach in an ambulance. I had to walk about 800m back to the car park, the last 100m was shaky. I was going to drive myself but when I needed help to put my board in my car and then found bending over to get into the car was far too painful I had to give up on that idea. My x-rays also showed nothing but apparently hairline fractures often don't show, especially with ribs.

I reckon my ribs were OK in about 2-3 weeks but then I discovered I'd also torn my supraspinatus tendon in my shoulder and that took quite a bit of time to heal and required a bit of physiotherapy. The pain from the ribs had masked it. I remember the ambo asking me at the time if I was sore anywhere else and I mentioned my shoulder but said it was nothing really.

Once my ribs felt ok I was mountain biking some gentle trails. I tried surfing and not only was paddling pretty hard, getting up was slow and ungainly too, so I let it go for a while, maybe another month.