Noosa

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

CQSurfer

Noosa

Post by CQSurfer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:48 pm

When is the best time for Noosa. whether that be on sunshine beach or at the national park?

i was there in november and it was a rather crappy onshore brease with 2-3"swell at sunshine beach.

or waht weather patterns should i look out for.

thanks

Schwez
regular

Post by Schwez » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:33 pm

I was there Early January. Had an epic sesh at National Park. 6foot swell at a 6 sec interval. Then we did 4 days on Fraser, and on return to Noosa, the surf had turned to shite.
Apparently the area doesnt get much year-round.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:55 pm

Cyclone season Nov/Dec to March gets the swells. The further into the national park you walk (eg. to TiTree or Granite) the less (relatively) crowded the waves are. Just further to go for help, and there ARE sharks.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:44 pm

In my opinion, from now thru to about the end of June is the best time for waves up here. There is always usually a bit of swell around this time of year due to the big highs filling in the Tasman giving us long SE trades (nb this year has been a horrible exception), and theres always the chance of a cyclone. April/May/june tend to see conditions gradually improve and more groundswells out of the E-S quadrant. This is the situation for most of the E coast in general, we up here tend to get the better of the E swells and those of you further S get the better from said direction. The most important thing to look for in regards to waves up here is a big fat high pressure system of 1028hpa or higher camped over NZ. This gets a long E-SE fetch across the top of it, and although you get a bit of wind from the same direction, the points can refract the swell and stay clean. As the high moves further out we usually get a few clean beachbreak mornings with the swell only gradually dropping. If there is a low above one of these highs, well then we're really in business. A situation like this looks as though it will happen over the weekend-early next week. Stay tuned.