Hawaii in May

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

offshore1
Duke Status

Re: Hawaii in May

Post by offshore1 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:49 am

Merkin in the Morning would be a great name for a radio show.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:49 am

......and thus, a new dawn awakens. ....sans Braithwaite. But it's early yet.
marauding mullet wrote:

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sun May 29, 2016 7:03 am

"da-da dada da da, leeeeeeeet's drink [beat] from the furry cup!" I'm sure Wyre could knock us up a jingle
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:08 am

Just got back from nine days on Kaua'i, stunningly beautiful place, great hiking, consistent albeit unspectacular surf (August isn't the best time of year but was good enough for our tight family schedule of uni and work -- waist to chest with bigger sets somewhere on the island every day), variety of surf spots --- saw Seabass at one "secret spot", aloha spirit alive and well on Kaua'i. Missus loved the snorkeling. Heaps of turtles, only saw one shark, about a five footer.
Winter might be a whole different story hassling for waves: but being polite North Carolinians, we took our turns and got our share of moderate off-season fun.

Coops, if you're still going in September I reckon the best boogering would be found at Shipwreck Beach and Kealia Beach.

We stayed at a comfortable condo in Kapa'a, and I'd recommend that little funky hippie town on the eastside, it's easy to get north or south on the island and nearby Kealia Beach always has trade wind waves, at least when we were there.

Don't miss the 550 drive up Waimea Canyon, there's some great hiking up there, and make sure you get all the way to the end of the road/Lookouts; spectacular, especially at sunset. Trev would enjoy the winding white knuckle drive back down in the pitch dark. The Perseid meteor shower was going on, looked like missiles.... there is an offshore missile range out there so hmmm, anyway it was awesome.

Easy cheap board rental with pretty good variety at Tamba Surf Shop, my oldest boy switched to a Tomo for the last few days and loved it. weird as shit looking board but he shredded just fine on it.
marauding mullet wrote:

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:50 am

godsavethequeen wrote:"da-da dada da da, leeeeeeeet's drink [beat] from the furry cup!" I'm sure Wyre could knock us up a jingle
"Stop your yawning..dah-dah- de-dah
It's time to wake up
Stop your yawning...dah-dah de-dah
Time to drink from the furry cup
So stop your yawning...yeeehaa!
With Merkin iiiiin the Morning™."

Yeah, spent loads of time on the Big Island, never been to Kauaii, I really wanna get there next time (got family on BI so it is hard to leave), by all accounts it is the most stunning of all the islands which is saying something.

Kunji, plenty of waves on south/south east sides in september, trade wind affected but hey, I no complain. Kona side has some absoutely cranking set ups, especially when the swell is more west than nor-west, as it gets a bit blocked by Maui...but then, it's still fcuking massive so I'm sorta glad it gets a bit blocked. Check out Mahai'ula beach- good big wave spot and absolutely stunning little place to hang for a day- the best is when they close the rough lava road once a week and you have to walk in- cuts down the crowd...If you are going to Big Island lemme know I'll PM you deets.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:23 pm

I forgot to mention how many chickens are running around loose on Kauai coops. You're a chicken fancier right?
Apparently their ancestors were liberated by hurricane Ineke back in the 90's. They're everywhere, from the beaches to the mountains. Pretty cool.
marauding mullet wrote:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:37 pm

offshore1 wrote:I forgot to mention how many chickens are running around loose on Kauai coops. You're a chicken fancier right?
Apparently their ancestors were liberated by hurricane Ineke back in the 90's. They're everywhere, from the beaches to the mountains. Pretty cool.
Some great info man. Yes i love free chickens. I will suss the lid waves. I leave Thursday!
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:39 pm

Wyre wrote:
godsavethequeen wrote:"da-da dada da da, leeeeeeeet's drink [beat] from the furry cup!" I'm sure Wyre could knock us up a jingle
"Stop your yawning..dah-dah- de-dah
It's time to wake up
Stop your yawning...dah-dah de-dah
Time to drink from the furry cup
So stop your yawning...yeeehaa!
With Merkin iiiiin the Morning™."

Yeah, spent loads of time on the Big Island, never been to Kauaii, I really wanna get there next time (got family on BI so it is hard to leave), by all accounts it is the most stunning of all the islands which is saying something.

Kunji, plenty of waves on south/south east sides in september, trade wind affected but hey, I no complain. Kona side has some absoutely cranking set ups, especially when the swell is more west than nor-west, as it gets a bit blocked by Maui...but then, it's still fcuking massive so I'm sorta glad it gets a bit blocked. Check out Mahai'ula beach- good big wave spot and absolutely stunning little place to hang for a day- the best is when they close the rough lava road once a week and you have to walk in- cuts down the crowd...If you are going to Big Island lemme know I'll PM you deets.
Hey mate i am just booking BI accommodation now. Getting somewhere around the kealakekea bay area. Send me some deets bro. Cannot wait.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Enjoy, coops.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:13 am

Kunji wrote:.
Hey mate i am just booking BI accommodation now. Getting somewhere around the kealakekea bay area. Send me some deets bro. Cannot wait.
I may be proven wrong coops but I don't think you're going to find many waves over there.
My bro lives over on the Hilo side, I've been to visit a couple of times. Way more consistent on that side, and it's a BIG island. It'll be a loong drive from Kealakekua Bay.
Anyway, you're going to love checking out volcanoes.

edit: a little research proved me wrong: https://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.a ... JGS002-007
looks like it could be pretty great.
I passed through there in December a few years ago and it was dead calm flat. September could be a whole different ballgame.
marauding mullet wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Uh Oh! Batten down, Coops.
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/watchwarn/
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.