Early season G land

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

AussieinTexas

Re: Early season G land

Post by AussieinTexas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:03 am

Have been their during that time frme. Still heaps of waves, no crowd and that special g land experience . The wind is the key during that time. Glassy morning and afternoon sessions can be had but watch the flag if it turns offshore get out there. This period is a transition period in the weather so wind changes are regular. The breaks inside the bay can be fun to eg tiger traks and 20/20,s. Say at bobby,s. Food is good. G land is sic have fun.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:20 am

AussieinTexas wrote:Have been their during that time frme. Still heaps of waves, no crowd and that special g land experience . The wind is the key during that time. Glassy morning and afternoon sessions can be had but watch the flag if it turns offshore get out there. This period is a transition period in the weather so wind changes are regular. The breaks inside the bay can be fun to eg tiger traks and 20/20,s. Say at bobby,s. Food is good. G land is sic have fun.

what's it like in texas? you surf much?

i've always wanted to go, and have a couple of pretty good friends there.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

AussieinTexas

Post by AussieinTexas » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:27 am

Braithy, there are definitely waves in Texas. Although it is often small. When a swell producing weather systems sits in the gulf for a few days, good uncrowded waves can be had. Have surfed waves up to 8 ft here. Surf structures such as groynes, piers and harbor mouths produce well shaped waves when things line up. Wind is predominantly onshore so timing when a front ( from central US ) crosses which creates offshore conditions is an art. I check the camera,s constantly and surf very regularly if it's on. Winter is better than summer generally but surfing a hurricane swell which is stacked to the horizon is a summer blessing. Texan surfers are super friendly, both guys and girls. It's never crowded in comparison to cities/towns in Aussie. Texan life style is fun. Beer, BBQ, killer Tex Mex, hunting, fishing and cowboys make living here fun. I ride lots of motocross when not surfing and have lots of world class MX facilities close by. A wave garden surf park is being built in Austin which is going to be the biggest and best in the world,completion date in April 16. I am looking forward to surfing here. You can also tanker surf here, catching the wake off a mega tanker is insane, I surfed one wave for about 5 k. Best $100 I've spent.
I still miss Australia and will definitely return home one day . I am a DY boy that lived in Wheeler Heights and love looking at Don,s surf report photos. Keep in touch with you mates that live here, book a ticket and enjoy a different version of a surf holiday. Good luck.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:38 am

cheers mate ... i'm super keen, always have been. getting off the beaten track and away from people has always appealed more to me than the ments or indo or anywhere else. the texans i know are some of the friendliest people ever.

i'm gonna go msg my texans on facebook right now. haha
Kunji wrote:

AussieinTexas

Post by AussieinTexas » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:54 am

I am indeed. It's a small world!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:56 am

haha
Kunji wrote:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:54 pm

No surf there but Austin is a great town if ya ever go to Texas. Houston is a hole.

xe
regular

Post by xe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Nice Saltman what price did you haggle?
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

AussieinTexas

Post by AussieinTexas » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:16 am

You scored Saltman. G land is a special place.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:10 am

Wow, thats bloody amazing. Did you wait for a swell or just book it and hope?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:42 am

I would take that over better conditions all week and a thousand cnuts in the water.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable