little pricks ( not about pro surfers)

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Rustt
barnacle

Re: little pricks ( not about pro surfers)

Post by Rustt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:13 am

You can't go anywhere in my little town and not get a pin stuck in you. Luckily we have a chiro and Chinese healer that surf, so it's real good for surf related injuries.
I can't recommend it more highly, one of the main things about it is he stinks pins in you and you can't move for awhile, 3/4 to 1 hour, usually end up nodding off, just that bit of relaxation helps heaps.

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:41 am

Hi there, in my experience it is a good complimentary treatment but did not work isolated. I tore my left knee meniscus while surfing late last year and the muscles on my leg were all out / pulling the wrong way, etc. The little picks did help but in combination with "traditional" physio.

I was lucky that the physio also did accupunture so it was very straight forward and it did helped with relaxing the muscles, etc.

Lots of people swear by them, but my observations have been that they never fully heal anything as an isolated treatment.

It is worth trying to complement treatment for sure.

cheers

J

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:06 am

About 6 years ago I injured my shoulder in the surf. My flexibility was shot and I could not grasp my hands across my back by stretching one down from above the shoulder and the other one up from the waist.

I had a combined treatment of massage, osteopathy, acupuncture and pilates at a Complementary Medicine Clinic at Crows Nest.

My experience with acupuncture was that immediately after the session my flexibility was fully restored and I could clasp my hands behind my back. However this wore off after a day before things became stiff again. At $70 a session daily sessions were not viable.

Full recovery took about 3 months. To satiate my surf thirst in the meantime I had to resort to the ignominy of bodyboarding. :oops:

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:12 pm

I completely destroyed the ligaments in my ankle surfing years ago. after the xray the doc said I would of
been better off breaking it. I was on crutches and even the slightest pressure on my foot was unbearable.
I was recommended to a guy who is a accupunture guru in Ballina. I went in and my right ankle was the issue.
he neddled up my left leg instead. I thought he was taking the piss. after an hr he told me to get up and walk.
I got up and could walk freely. it was like a miracle! but next day I was hurting again. after a few sessions though
I was off the crutches and on road to recovery. been getting it ever since. its not meant to be a cure, the needles
stimulate the healing process. ive also been given some dodgy looking chinese herbs you boil up and drink. taste
horrendous, but it all helps.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Acupuncture (the real stuff where they look at your tongue and deal with qi etc.) only works for nausea and chronic headaches, and may be less effective than a placebo.

Dry needling (not what it is called when you are begging for sex) as performed by physios to relax overactive muscles is legit.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:04 am

3000 clinical trials think I'm right.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 am

Funded by pharmaceutical companies no doubt. :)

My local gp refers people on to our local needle whisperer, the chiro is a fair dinkum doctor and he uses it, must be something to it :-D-:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:33 am

I've had acupuncture three times. One by a Chinese Doctor in Dixon Street who did the whole checking pulse bit as well. The other two were chiropractors. One in Bondi. One in Coolangatta. Only the Chinese guy was good.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Read my original post.
Sticking needles in muscles works. I'm not debating that. My physio uses it, and it released the spasm on my hip flexor. I've had it 20 times myself. My mum who is a doctor gets it every week.

The stuff about qi, tongue colour and pulses has no practical mechanism of operation. Physiologically, neurologically, it can't be true.

Any variation in effectiveness is due to your own head, the normal recovery of your body and the skill of the bloke putting the needles in the right place.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:51 pm

Definitely the later. Chiros were shit. Made me bleed. One had my teeth chattering uncontrollably. Said this was good :-?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:55 am

I have confidence in the Chinese medicine guy as if after a few goes at fixing the problem he will refer me on to a G.P. and am forever thankful that when I went to him for chronic back pain that after a few visits he told me to go and see a particular sports G.P who referred me to a surgeon who fixed it permanently.:-)
Unfortunately, there are alot of alternative, chiro and others that just wont give up when it is beyond them. I once went to a osteopath about my back, was in great pain , I had an MRI with me and when I offered it to him he said "I don't need to look at things like that" I just turned around and walked out the door.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:36 am

Yeah, I had one who wanted to have a go at a cyst on my spine while he was at it. Er, no thanks, mate.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?