Bali For Beginners

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Almighty God
regular

Bali For Beginners

Post by Almighty God » Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Am sure there are lots of threads here on Bali...but not sure if I would find exactly what I am after...of course starting a new topic offers no guarantees of that either...but anyway...

Have never been...nor had any intention of ever going...but things change I guess, and us Gods must change too (so you can actually teach an old God new tricks)...I have a nice new lady friend...and leaving my previous girlfriend behind on my last surfing adventure...didnt turn out so well...so I thought I should learn from my mistakes...we are planning a weeks trip in Bali in late July.

So the thinking at this stage is to spend 3-4 days near the beach...hoping there is somewhere where she can have some fun...I can hire a board for her and give her some lessons on very user friendly waves...she has never surfed before...and then I could go nearby to get a few waves for myself.

Then a few days in the UBUD region...maybe ride an elephant, see the monkeys...trek...whatever

Anyone like to help a minor deity out. Any suggestions or advice on what to see and do...what not to see and do. Where to go or where not to go. Also accommodation...transportation

ctd
barnacle

Re: Bali For Beginners

Post by ctd » Mon May 18, 2015 12:26 pm

Budget? There are some great 'villas' around with everything up to and including personal staff and drivers; or there are the $35 per night motels. Or the 5 star resorts in Nusa Dua etc

If you are going to Ubud (ie do not want to head out into the sticks for the surfing bit) then I guess surfing lessons at Kuta beach (good as anywhere for a total beginner and you can hire soft boards on the beach - not any more beginner friendly than any other beach break, but plenty of white water!) and you can head over to wherever your skill level is (get a guide if you want). I would not stay in Kuta, but it might be more your scene than mine.

Don't be tempted to hire a scooter.
Last edited by ctd on Mon May 18, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Mon May 18, 2015 2:48 pm

not overly keen on the Kuta area either, guessing it will be busy and loud...maybe we could stay in South Kuta and travel to Kuta in the morning?

From a few brief looks it appears about 60-90 bucks a night gets somewhere decent, with breakfast.

Would like to see some shows in the evening as well

Have read mixed reviews about this Garuda Park...anyone been there? Worth seeing?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon May 18, 2015 3:28 pm

My recollection is that South Kuta is pretty much an extension of Kuta. Its just built up suburbs really, its far from any tropical paradise, more like the gold coast - this is the same all the way along the beach. But there will be quiet streets.

Around the Kuta area, Seminyak is probably the 'classiest'; its more upmarket although a bit 'chi chi' ('creative' I think is what they call it). Still, that would be my recommendation for a good mix of activity and peace, for what that is worth. Its on the beach as well (although the cheaper places are inland a little bit) and 30 min or so walk to Kuta proper and taxis are all over the place and cheap. But I'm sure you can find places more Kuta central that are fine.

Garuda Park looks...not my thing. There are plenty of actual temples to see if you want (take some day trips from Ubud up into the hills in particular - Goa Gajah, Gunung Kawi, Tirta Empul - tours easily arranged or from your hotel). Can't help you with shows but I think Ubud will have some (actually, I did go to one in Ubud that was quite entertaining) and no doubt there are some around Kuta as well.

In Ubud I stayed here: Villa Agung Khalia. Its a bit upmarket for sure but I see they have their studio room for about $140 per night incl breakfast. Its a bit out of town but better for that; they have a free driver who drives you in and picks you up etc (although you have to wait I guess). But I was with my family with young kids, so they wanted a pool. If you don't need that level of luxury, there are plenty of place in town.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Avoid Kuta like the plague.
Seminyak is girlfriend friendly for a few days.......and you may get some good beach breaks out the front unless the swell is too big. Canggu is not far away. A few other options around there as well.
Head out to the Bukit at that time of year and stay there if the swells up I'd reckon.
I'd also suggest a couple of days at Nusa Lombongan if you want to chill out on a more laid back version of Bali thats a quick boat ride away.
Ubuds good for a hang. Western volcanos are interesting if you want to get away from the main drag. The country is far more ordered than the sprawling Kuta strip.
Plenty more informed info than this around I'm sure.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Mon May 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Cheers beanpole and ctd

there is heaps of info...just too much really...far better to get it from people who have been there. Good info thanks a lot

Have you been to the elephant safari...it looks ok but expensive...is it worth it?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 am

I went to the elephant safari near Ubud. Its a little place with a bunch of elephants who do a kind of interesting show but not that much else. The kids went on a ride and had a great time (they were both under 10). If you have never been close to an elephant its worthwhile, you can feed them and so forth, but its not exactly a hive of activity or excitement. I enjoyed it and was glad to go, but its a few hours worth of activity

Depends on how much time you have - you can wander around Ubud for 1-2 days at least (there is a big but quite tacky market which is good for souvenirs, plenty of interesting little shops scattered around and the monkey forest and a few temples etc plus lots of massage and spa type places and cafes etc plus a good museum at ARMA - pretty much the whole town is set up for tourists). A day trip to the temples I mentioned is my recommendation, remember to bring a sarong and just smile at all the touts trying to sell you stuff and ignore them (I've seen people get upset/angry at them, which I find very weird). Ganung Kawi in particular. You can drive past the terraced fields as well or do another day trip to Jatiluwih or I think there is a rice fields trek (didn't do that one)

There is a fun ropes adventure park if you are into that kind of thing (or the gf is).

So there is plenty to keep you occupied and you may want to just spend a few hours relaxing at some stage. Plenty of tourist agencies to help you out as well (or through your hotel).
Last edited by ctd on Tue May 19, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue May 19, 2015 10:33 am

Hi God, a couple of options is to stay at Seminyak which is not as hectic as Kuta and a tad upmarket Bali style, then depending on swell you can wander down and get either the main beach or Double Six beach beginner friendly or at least plenty of white water. If there is swell its basically a smashing. Then have a day out to Batu Bolong for her which may be good if not too big which gives Caangu for you and she can sit in the bar at Echo Beach and watch and wait. Nusa Dua is all upmarket resorts but you can get some good packages for places like the Westin if you want to do nothing more than nothing in a bit of luxury. I hope this is helpful as I looked into easier places to surf after having a shoulder reconstruction last year. We are looking to be there late july for the wifes birthday and am supposed to be going somewhere in Ubud down a track through the rice paddys for a lunch she has picked so if it is any good I will pass it on.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 19, 2015 11:05 am

fcuking Ubud. Just go to the Ulus temple. it's far better.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue May 19, 2015 11:18 am

Haven't been for years (well before Keramas and when Cangu was still a bit of a secret) but I used to stay over at the Nusa Dua hotels on industry rates and then walk around the path to the Nusa Dua break. Way less crowded then Ulu's, Impossibles, Bingin etc. Not sure if that's still the case or not.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Tue May 19, 2015 11:43 am

Wet season Nusa Dua is great for girl friendly accommodation and a variety of waves you can walk to depending on where you stay and if you don't mind walking 30 mins or more. There's a section on the inside of the nusa dua reef that can be beginner friendly. Definitely not Nusa Dusa itself though. Tends to be much less crowded than Bukit / Canguu also. It's got a weird artificial stepford wives vibe like any purpose built resort. Just get a driver to take you to Ubud or wherever. Hot tip: if you want some extra thrills and the mild possibility of being mugged grab a pushy and ride up to the harbour at the top of the peninsula at dusk. It's really cool and local, but tourists aren't really welcome... way more interesting than elephant park in Ubud

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm

whats your girlfriend into God?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Tue May 19, 2015 12:19 pm

if you/your gf want to develop a complex about russian/scandanavian goddesses then sure, Bali

Kuta beach is a closeout, water is brown, full of trash (human and otherwise) and nothing remotely like our pristine golden sanded beaches. its nice at dawn for a stroll/jog and on dusk for the international atmousphere... but its basically a closeout, and a formidable one at that during a winter groundswell.

Maybe Lombok or Gili islands? that is probably closer to the Bali that you imagine.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue May 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Biggun wrote:Maybe Lombok or Gili islands? that is probably closer to the Bali that you imagine.
Good point - Lombok could be what you want. Less to do but enough and far less people, overdevelopment and all that is associated with it. Its like a 20 min flight from Denpasar. But Bali does have its charms (then again, I love India and China and found Fiji really boring; so what charms me may keep you a frog rather becoming Prince God)

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Tue May 19, 2015 1:47 pm

steve shearer wrote:whats your girlfriend into God?
Dancing and performance...should cover that pretty easily with a few Balinese dance shows

Nature...would love to do a short trek...see a waterfall...it seems the best of these are very north, so we may not get there

She wants to see the Bird park...I love birds too...the info on that seems its pretty small, but very good

Hasnt seen an elephant before...thats a priority

The temple at Uluwatu is one of the things I have listed as an essential

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Tue May 19, 2015 1:55 pm

philw wrote:Wet season Nusa Dua is great for girl friendly accommodation and a variety of waves you can walk to depending on where you stay and if you don't mind walking 30 mins or more. There's a section on the inside of the nusa dua reef that can be beginner friendly. Definitely not Nusa Dusa itself though. Tends to be much less crowded than Bukit / Canguu also. It's got a weird artificial stepford wives vibe like any purpose built resort. Just get a driver to take you to Ubud or wherever. Hot tip: if you want some extra thrills and the mild possibility of being mugged grab a pushy and ride up to the harbour at the top of the peninsula at dusk. It's really cool and local, but tourists aren't really welcome... way more interesting than elephant park in Ubud
July is middle of dry season, yeah? I like the look of the Nusa Dua area too...but I wasnt aware there were beginner waves so I had ruled that out. So is this area not worthwhile in the dry season...why, winds or no waves?

philw
Local

Post by philw » Tue May 19, 2015 2:19 pm

yeah july is dry season. i've only been nusa dua in wet season. the actual resort area is boring as ffck but very comfortable. there would be waves year round, prevailing winds are the issue. i've seen guys surfing sanur in dry season ( a wet season wave ) - it was on shore but still pretty good. look at the nusa dua stretch on google maps there's a few options around, there's a gap in the reef about half way up that can produce beachside crumbles for beginners. further up I've seen beginners out at particular spots with the right tide / swell... in general though, Bali isn;t that great for beginners. Kuta is a mostly a dirty close out, medewi has sharp rocks, canguu has a few options but can easily be too big, rippy.... etc...you can get a guide who will drive you around trying to find an approachable spot but its barely worth it. MUCH better beginner surf in AUS

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Tanalot Temple at high/mid tide is a fun surf from a scenic point of view and a decent break North of there that when it gets energy and size is fun long walls with power.