Maldives forecast

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ssklenicka

Maldives forecast

Post by ssklenicka » Tue May 05, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm heading out to the Central Atolls (Thaa/Laamu) from May 25-June 4th. I know I've seen some great forecasts on this forum, mainly for the Male atolls, but also some for the Centrals. Any info as we get closer to the trip would be great. I know it's not quite as easy a forecast as the northern atolls, or even the southern, from what I've heard and I don't trust the magic seweed/surfline/etc reports. I think Donweather?? was the guy with the really detailed forecasts in the past. Cheers.

Elmako
Grommet

Re: Maldives forecast

Post by Elmako » Wed May 06, 2015 11:04 am

Good call making it to the central and southern atolls, north is crowded.. very...crazy crowds.

I am sure you will get good forecast here, however you can also check:

http://magicseaweed.com/Machine-Surf-Report/3421/

Just use the drop down box and select some spots on the central atolls, etc... The link above is for Machines, scored it last year for 3 days with only a handful of peeps in the water, just our boat: Hamathi.

Hope you score!

J

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 06, 2015 11:06 am

Don accepts BitCoin and russian brides as payment for maldivian forecasting.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed May 06, 2015 11:15 am

Shearer could give you a good forecast. He studied weather forecasting in his own made up degree but he wont becuause he hates the maldives. If its overseas and doesnt barrell shearer f$ck&ng hates it.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 06, 2015 11:32 am

Are you on medication Loof? You sound irrational.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed May 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Your right it does sound irrational but thats not my fault, just stating the facts Steve.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 06, 2015 5:09 pm

I don't hate the Maldives Loof. You're over-egging the omelette again. You should try some understated Britishness sometimes.

I just think it's a kooks paradise for Israeli aggro-nauts, middle-aged flabby daddies on funboards and yoga chicks.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed May 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Haha.

Only taking the piss Steve.. As am sure you already know

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed May 06, 2015 6:23 pm

What's wrong with yoga chicks Steve?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed May 06, 2015 6:27 pm

steve shearer wrote:I just think it's a kooks paradise for Israeli aggro-nauts, middle-aged flabby daddies on funboards and yoga chicks.
Arent 100% of RSers either middle aged flabby daddies or people who look at yoga chicks. Or, indeed, both?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed May 06, 2015 7:32 pm

steve shearer wrote:I don't hate the Maldives Loof. I just think it's a kooks paradise for yoga chicks.
So Pet goes there?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon May 18, 2015 1:32 pm

This is the same thread that's been posted on SN so I'll post my forecasts there instead of here.

And Steve, your comments above about the Maldives are a MASSIVE over generalisation.

I'd go back to the Maldives at the drop of a hat. It's got some amazing set ups and some amazing waves. Yeah sure it aint no indo in terms of power and size, but it sure got some fecking sensational waves on it's day. Just a shame the crowd is killing it at the better locations these days.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Wed May 20, 2015 11:53 am

Donweather wrote:This is the same thread that's been posted on SN so I'll post my forecasts there instead of here.

And Steve, your comments above about the Maldives are a MASSIVE over generalisation.

I'd go back to the Maldives at the drop of a hat. It's got some amazing set ups and some amazing waves. Yeah sure it aint no indo in terms of power and size, but it sure got some fecking sensational waves on it's day. Just a shame the crowd is killing it at the better locations these days.
Sorry mate...whats SN?

Agreed on Maldives waves...its the most fun I have had on a surf trip. I went early season, end of March, and crowds werent an issue at all, not sure if I got lucky...but I dont think this will be the case in years to come. Our surf guide said late season is also excellent...but over the last few years the crowds have increased significantly in that period

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed May 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Tues 26th
Tiny 1-2ft SE swell at best. There’s a slightly better quality but very inconsistent 2-3ft SW groundswell running at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls.

Wed 27th
Tiny 1-2ft SE swell at best. There’s a slightly better quality but very inconsistent 2-3ft SW groundswell running at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls.

Thurs 28th
Tiny 1-2ft SE swell at best. Building and much better quality but inconsistent 3-5ft SW groundswell with the upper end of this size range at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller 3ft, maybe 4ft at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls.

Friday 29th
New pulse of 2ft/2ft+ SE swell, maybe 2-3ft by the end of the day. Much better quality but inconsistent 4-5ft+ SW groundswell with the upper end of this size range at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller 3-4ft at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls.

Sat 30th
2-3ft SE swell. Waning inconsistent 3-4ft+ SW groundswell with the upper end of this size range at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller 3ft/3ft+ at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls.

Sun 31st
3-4ft SE swell. Waning inconsistent 2-3ft+ SW groundswell with the upper end of this size range at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller 2ft/2ft+ at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls.

Mon 1st
3-4ft SE swell. New pulse of building very long range 2-4ft SW groundswell with the upper end of this size range at SW facing breaks along the western atolls very late in the day. Smaller 2-3ft+ at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls with the upper end of this size range very late in the day.

Tues 2nd
2-3ft+ SE swell. Very long range 3-4ft+ SW groundswell with the upper end of this size range at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller 3ft/3ft+ at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls.

Wed 3rd
2-3ft+ SE swell. Very long range 3-4ft+ SW groundswell with the upper end of this size range at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller 3ft/3ft+ at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls. SW groundswell waning throughout the day.

Thurs 4th
2-3ft+ SE swell. Waning very long range 2-3ft+ SW groundswell with the upper end of this size range at the SW facing breaks along the western atolls. Smaller 2-3ft at the non-SW facing breaks of the western atolls. SW groundswell waning throughout the day.