Sri Lanka

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Sri Lanka

Post by Spoon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:58 am

Met up with a mate and he was raving about Sri Lanka for a all things destination Anybody been?
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Sri Lanka

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Re: Surf Trip to Kerala (India) in November/December?

Postby InnerSurf » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:02 am

Hey thanks Foamy and Omar!!
Ok now you have kind of confirmed my suspicions, i couldnt find such good info about the surf there. I do want to surf everyday for a month so maybe its not the best place for it. I went to Sri lanka and surfed everyday for 3 months oct-dec and it was fantastic, not too be not too small and super consistent.But now i will have to look at other options. Basically i wanted boardshorts warm water, consistent surf, staying next to the beach, and have other surfers around, and the kind of prices you get in Sri lanka and india, any suggestions? i stayed in guesthouses and hostels before so im good with all that. Thank you again. Steve Shearer what made you think i was English?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Friends of mine, an extended family group, were there in December. Had a nice time. Temples, towns, beaches, national parks, mountains, and curries, lots of curries, beautiful curries, fish curries a speciality. They like the beach but are not board riders and did not go surfing.

You had best go the right time of year. It's can get very hot and wet.

Here's a photo one of them took from their room in Hikkadua. Just another night in Sri Lanka.

Curries are not compulsory, but these friends all like curries. They are a mixture of anglo and Sri Lankan-born Aussies. One mate just went all out. He sent me this photo of his breakfast : fish curry, string hoppers and accompaniments.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Another another couple of photos they sent me. Some of the Southern Province sea catch.

Last edited by foamy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Went in 1982 on my first OS trip. I love the place. It's Bali or there as the perfect tropical island experience.......given of course time, politics, injustice, etc. surfed Hikkadu as it was the time to do it. Heaps of fun but I believe there are localism issues now which is funny since its a relative cream puff wave. Fantastic travel destination. Like India in miniature with surf.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:12 pm

I have the opportunity to go to Sri Lanka in mid April/early May. From what I Ve read April seems to be in between seasons so I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations. South west coast? South Coast? Or East coast?

Just looking for some fun conditions before visiting temples etc with the missus

Cheers
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:43 am

West Coast has the very accessible Hikkadua plus a couple of others. Accessible as in order breakfast, paddle out, come in an hour later, eat breakfast looking at the surf accessible. That's usually a Summer destination, as in our Summer. East Coast is better I think and that's more Our Winter time destination.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:58 pm

I spent 3 months there in 86 at hikkadua. Very few locals surfedas I recall just jap vs oz surfer aggro
Great fun wave.looks heaps more developed now. I stayed in a shitty little guest house in front of the break. Owners had a brick of heroin buried in the back yard. Undercover cops would stroll the beach I was chatting to one without knowing (he invited me to his place for family dinner, I didn't go as wanted to chase euro gristle) and my landlord shat himself.

Got pissed one night chasing usa gristle, fell in a big hole and my knee blew up like a volleyball. Didn't notice till the next morning.
I ended up swapping a Gordon and Smith single fin with a purple fin and rainbow spray for my rent when I left (it was cheap and boards were hard to get then). My only regret.
Erase.