Coconut Spray; The Niugini Experience

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Re: Coconut Spray; The Niugini Experience

Post by JET01 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:03 pm

No crowds. For two reasons.
1. The surf management plan seems to be honoured by everyone. We heard stories of machete wielding locals literally walking out onto the reef if they hadn’t been paid their cut of the surf tourism cash.
2. The resort wasn’t full, and it was a very good thing in this case.

Most days we had breakfast, got our gear together for a day trip, put it all in the boat, went over to the mainland, threw it all in the back of the truck (the one they pick you up in the airport from) then do the 70km drive down to the right hander. Surf for a couple of hours. Eat lunch out of the esky. Drink a coconut or two. Get back in the truck. Lay on the bean bag, stare into the jungle waving at the locals. Stop for beers about half way at one of the beer stores on the right hand side. Head home for some relaxation in the arvo. Played a bit of ping pong in the bar area.

If you’re thinking about getting a group together to head over, it’s handy to have a bloke with truck license. Gives you more options on the vehicles. Some of the days can be self drive, they’ll send one of the resorts boat drivers with you for the day just in case something happens while you’re out. Not all of the employees have truck licenses though.

Make sure you get your full duty free allowance on the way over. Helps keep the cost down if you’re a big drinker.

I love the place and can’t wait to go back. I’ve decided that when I’m over the hill, this will be where I go on surf trips. Most of the waves we surfed are longboard friendly and the fishing is usually pretty good too.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Sounds great- I’m both already over the hill and only competent enough for longboard waves.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 pm

All fun and games until you are shot with a bow and arrow , tied to a tree and made to watch your wife or girlfriend being gang raped by fifteen tribesmen.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:56 am

JET01 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am
Surfed Nago left by myself one arvo got about 15 waves in 45mins. Would love to see this wave with a bit of size on it. Borrowed a 7’2 single fin egg from the resort and had a bit of fun cruising around on the fat outside section before grabbing a rail on the more bowly inside section. Can’t wait to get back to this wave.
Nago Left is a nice wave did you get back to it?

The reef is shaped like a triangle but with separate knob of reef slightly deeper to the outside out the back. This outcrop on bigger swells pulls the peak off the inside of the reef and creates that fat outside section. Some of it may be swell direction but I found at 3-4' this outcrop didn't pull the peak away from the reef's edge and it would run down it nicely from all the way out the back right down to the shallow bits where you have to get off. At the right size the outcrop just creates a nice peak you can hit about halfway down the line with maybe the possibility of a cover up.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:45 am

A random collection of pics from Nusa in no particular order..

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:38 am

Good photos, thanks

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:33 pm

Slowman wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:56 am
JET01 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am
Surfed Nago left by myself one arvo got about 15 waves in 45mins. Would love to see this wave with a bit of size on it. Borrowed a 7’2 single fin egg from the resort and had a bit of fun cruising around on the fat outside section before grabbing a rail on the more bowly inside section. Can’t wait to get back to this wave.
Nago Left is a nice wave did you get back to it?

The reef is shaped like a triangle but with separate knob of reef slightly deeper to the outside out the back. This outcrop on bigger swells pulls the peak off the inside of the reef and creates that fat outside section. Some of it may be swell direction but I found at 3-4' this outcrop didn't pull the peak away from the reef's edge and it would run down it nicely from all the way out the back right down to the shallow bits where you have to get off. At the right size the outcrop just creates a nice peak you can hit about halfway down the line with maybe the possibility of a cover up.
Hey Gents, been a while between visits to this site. Sucked into the social media vortex.
Have not returned to PNG. We ended up doing a trip to a not so well known place in Indo which will be our main destination for years to come.

Hope you’re all well.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.