Red bluff

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Red bluff

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:13 pm

Whos been? What did ya think, is it okay for families. Im aiming to go for a month in either july or august and am thinking hard on a step up to suit as well. Any stories are more than welcome
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Red bluff

Post by Drailed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Long time ago.Beautiful. Go.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:58 pm

http://www.carnarvon.wa.gov.au/wp-conte ... n-new2.pdf

Used to be cheap, not so now. 3 mile would be my choice if I had a family, gets pretty crowded when there is a swell. Last time I was there Blowholes was $5 a night for the site, not per person,good camping and I love f/ all else to do.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:50 am

a mate just got back from living in his caravan with his wife and 7-year old daughter for 8 months there (they did travel around to a few other spots in the 8mths, but they based themselves there).

Lots of snorkelling/ beach hanging and primo fishing on flat days. Can't go there without a good beach rod and a dozen silver slugs (lures).

Take a good pintail.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Braithy wrote:a mate just got back from living in his caravan with his wife and 7-year old daughter for 8 months there (they did travel around to a few other spots in the 8mths, but they based themselves there).

Lots of snorkelling/ beach hanging and primo fishing on flat days. Can't go there without a good beach rod and a dozen silver slugs (lures).

Take a good pintail.
im gonna get one braithy, Ive been talking to my shaper and will sort out my finances in the new year, still gives me a bit to plan, I think I have sorted what I will need over there. Cant wait to fish with my boy and go snorkelling with the family, will be awesome. The waves will be an added bonus indeed. Trying to convince some mates to decide to go as well. Ive got a few months to work on em.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 am

seriously, you'll love it. the lagoon there on flat days for snorkelling at low tide is something else and the fishing is incredible. as in you can feed your whole family every single day -- conditions dependant of course -- with your catch.

my mate reckons you'll see plenty of tiger sharks paddling over the still water out to the reef ... he's completely terrified of sharks, but he got over his fear (a bit) with how many he saw and how little they're interested in humans.

they're so well fed, and the locals are so desensitised by them, he reckons it just rubs off onto you.

lol ... not put you off surfing there, just so when you get there you don't spin out too much. for context; my mate stopped surfing the alley last year when a sup guy had his board nudged by a bull shark. not bitten or attacked, but just nudged & knocked into the water right out the back of the rocks turning the corner after coming from snapper, and he never surfed the alley until he left for red bluff. he's still reluctant to surf it now, just knowing they're out there :lol:

to hear him come back and talk about paddling over tigers in shoulder deep water, really blew my mind. so ...
Kunji wrote:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Im so amped to get there, Ive got time to get my fitness up as well and hopefully will be sitting back relaxing there for as long as I can keep my family entertained there. I have no time limit on leaving apart from the surf.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:47 am

Braithy wrote:a mate just got back from living in his caravan with his wife and 7-year old daughter for 8 months there (they did travel around to a few other spots in the 8mths, but they based themselves there).

Take a good pintail.
If I had kids I would be camped at gnarloo that lagoon is paradise for the kids, we drive up there every couple of days from the bluff. How many kids do you have digger? But the cost is heavy, $20 per person $10 for kids and no discount for long stays,brutal. Bluffs basic and cheaper, still $45 for a family of 4, no wonder people just jump on a plane from Perth and go to Bali, it's an expensive holiday up there.

Make sure you have heaps of hand wash/wipes staying clean up there is important a lot of crew get sick.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:32 am

yeah crustt ... thats what he said, re ganrls too expensive, but the wife & kid liked it better. He'd go up there for a few days 2-3 weeks and hang out.

good call on the handwash & wipes too. Especially with kids ... not much worse than a fever and shit & vomit bug and you can avoid it all by keeping the mitts clean
Kunji wrote:

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:04 pm

Hygiene at the bluff has gone down hill in the past few years since Phil oggy gave it up, use to be a $50 fine for pissing above the low water line and eviction for the second offense, now a lot of the camp sites reek of piss.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 14, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:10 pm

When are you planning to go digger? Its a bit hot and windy ATM, better to wait until at least April, June to Sept is best.

Surf can be pretty mellow.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 pm

Cranked wrote:Surf can be pretty mellow.
You mean this time of year Cranked?

ps Have you ever been to Cocos/Keeling?
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:13 pm

MM I've never been there after October.

For nearly 10 years I spent Sep/Oct at Gnaraloo windsurfing (mainly) and surfing. The swell was usually between 3'-8'. About 75% of the days were OK for intermediates. That time of year is usually too windy for surfing at Gnaraloo, I think the Bluff would be OK though as its pretty protected from the sea breeze. As the highs move through on their 4 day cycle, day 4 is usually calmish.

I've also spent the odd week or two there Jun to August. Last time was 7 years ago, triple overhead for 3 days, 60 people watching, 6-10 guys out at Tombies, almost too big to paddle into. I went out when it dropped to the occasional double overhead, big mistake, scuttled back in as soon as there was a lull, Day 5 there was just the occasional overhead set, everyone else surfed out, just 3 of us in the water.

Never been to the Cocos, a friend has a house there and runs windsurfing holidays. Its really expensive to fly there, surf is supposed to be OK.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Not sure, heading up through the middle of oz in march then down the west coast, dont want to rush the trip and if im outa season will go somewhere else and come back later

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:23 pm

Next august tonks, save ya dough, plenty of time :)

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:49 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 14, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:55 pm

If you already have a 4WD that's good, but anything with a bit of ground clearance is fine. I did all my trips with a Ford EL wagon, never required 4WD, its WA though, be careful if you leave the road as its easy to get bogged. Always have a shovel handy and a couple of board bags. A 12V tyre pump is useful too. Make sure everything is in good condition, repairs and towing could ruin a your trip.