Medewi in March

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Henno

Medewi in March

Post by Henno » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Hey guys n girls,

Had my first Indo trip in 19 years in July and loved Medewi. Trouble was the wind. Very offshore down Bukit but crosshore up north. Thinking about going again in March. One guy that runs a hostel on Jl Pantai Medewi reckons the best waves he has ever scored there have been during the wet when the winds are minimal.
Anybody been up there in March? I know it's not really still the wet season and not trade wind time so thought I might get good wind direction without the humidity of the rain.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Medewi in March

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Good question Henno. Been just thinking about bolting over to somewhere near there mid January. Last time I was over I spent my time on the East Coast and that was good but I'm thinking about having a more laid back time.

I enjoyed Medewi when we visited about 5 years ago. My son had a ball until he ended up perched on a large rock at low tide. He was in primary school at that stage. Locals were really good to him. I can't believe they describe the place as a beginners wave. Sure it breaks easy but its all boulders. Some of the Euros came to grief big time. Saw what's probably still the best fish surfing I've seen by a local out there. Perfect wave for it really.

Probably go somewhere more user friendly for the non surfing members of the family if we go.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Along that stretch of coast at that time of year very good chance of glassy early mornings, sometimes staying windless til 9am or 10am, then onshore, rather than the strong sideshores of tradewind season. So it's a dawn's crack deal just like winter. Long crazy drive to the east coast and back if you want a later surf in offshores.
Haven't surfed Medewi but it needs a bit of swell, which is less likely in January to March. Still plenty of OK sized waves on the reef studded beaches bit further south. Can be the odd day when the wind stays light all day and solid swell still possible like always in Bali.
Water dirtier from river mouth run offs. The odd shark incident in the murkier water (amazed any have escaped the shark finners). Clean any cuts, and maybe give your ears a good wash after session.
Rainy season late this year and first decent downpours have only just started.
Euro beginner hordes seem to be there all year round nowadays.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:50 pm

PS friend who lives on west coast says theft starting to be bit of an issue round canggu and echo beach area _ hired bikes have been a target while out surfing. Cabbies also starting to ignore requests to use their meter if there's been a big influx of euros escaping northern hemi winter.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:22 pm

Ps don't go to Canggu regardless. What a f$ckn dump.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:51 am

Yeah was planning on checking out an obvious Rivermouth break in the area. Medewi was fairly murky when I was there which is just as well since you don't see the boulders just under the surface.

Water quality is an increasing issue given one family members tendency to get ear infections that could derail :-D-: the trip.

Serengan is closer and the waters way better. Strange considering its next to the dump.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:04 pm

The one or two times I surfed serangan I remember a weird petrol smell and burning sensation on my skin

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:06 pm

I had a surf a Canggu a few years ago at a place called Echo Beach, got out and nearly stepped on a bloated dead black Labrador, paradise.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm heading that way (sort of) myself in Feb. Let me just say that I have had some of the best (fun) and more uncrowded waves over there in Feb/ March. Just expect a bit more humidity.

Canggu is a circus for retro hipster kooks. I would not even bother with that place these days.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Oh and as far as winds it normally goes something like this:

Morning glass till about 10am = surf
Middle of day onshore = no surf and good chance to rest and avoid the sun
Late afternoon glass off = surf

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm looking at late January now myself if Iget it together. Dunno if I'll make it over that far. Last time we were there we walked up the beach to the creek mouth and had a crappy little surf one day. My daughter was on the beach and turned around to see a large curly poo on a flat rock next to her. She's not that keen on going back there :lol:

Serengan is so close to Benoa Harbour with even cruise liners pulling up I'm not surprised. We were out the bukit a few years ago just after they tried to close down Dreamland Shacks. These people looked like they were tripping. They were pointing at the sky. We looked up and the sun was surrounded by a rainbow haze from all the airplane fuel.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 pm

I did have a surf at Tanalot between the temples which was a nice setting and the next break north from it, I think they are on the way to Medewi up the west coast. At 4-6ft that was a lot of fun, power but not barrels, just long walls of fun. Tanalot at full/mid tide is a fun easy left if not a bit shallow but had it to ourselves. If your heading to Medewi your probably not hunting challenging conditions and this may be a good side trip.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Davros don't know when you surfed that next break north of Tanalot but it will have a fully sealed carpark if not by now then very soon. Was half way done last time I was there a few months ago. So rolls on the Bali development juggernaut.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Canggu 1982. Not many cars in the rice paddies in those days. Just a couple of villagers who would walk down with a tin barrel with some ice and a couple of bottles of fanta.

I'm basically looking for the laziest most convenient surf hang I can organise for about 8 days. So we plan to rock over. Probably stay at Nusa Dua for a change and then wing it depending on prevailing conditions. When we were over there last time the Lombok Ferry was closed and fishing boats were getting smashed. Fishermen were in the paper saying they were going broke cause they couldn't go out.

Might try to get to Lombok. Might not. Haven't been there for 21 years. Last time I only got one surf at Sengigi of all places.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks Bomborra, f$ck that's a shame there was nothing there but a dirt road and a shack for drinks.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:03 am

Anyone know current gig for surfboards on Bali flights from Sydney?
I'm presuming it hasn't changed since last year.
More concerned about length as in 7'6" or 7' than number of boards.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Yeah, thanks Matticus I looked up that site after Posted. Just have to trawl through and find which aircraft we are flying with and hope they don't change it.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 am

Beanpole wrote: Might try to get to Lombok. Might not. Haven't been there for 21 years. Last time I only got one surf at Sengigi of all places.
Well it goes without saying but you'll find it to be a different island to the one you visited 21 years ago, BP.

It has even changed quite a bit compared to my first visit 2 years ago. There used to be shops on both sides of the main street in Kuta. The shops in the beach side have been demolished. Apparently some of the shops were built illegally. Plans are underway to build a beachside promenade. And it seems the land around Tanjung Ahn has been sold so expect a resort or houses to be built.

The road from Kuta to Gerupuk is as bad as ever. Lots of Japanese and Euro surfers in the breaks in Gerupuk bay. The locals haven't taken to the Hypto Krypto revolution but there are a few tourists riding those boards. Even saw a Dripping Wet board in the lineup.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.