Beyond the blue ...

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Skipper
Duke Status

Re: Beyond the blue ...

Post by Skipper » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:20 pm

I find posiiive uplifting music helps relieve depression.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =677832786

icepick
regular

Post by icepick » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:48 am

Natho wrote:My life was recently turned upside down by something relating to the black dog. I lost two of the closest people to me as a result. Depression is very real. Anyone struggling to deal with it themselves is welcome to PM me and I can at least offer you my own experiences. I certainly can't cure you but sometimes it's good just to share how it has effected others and their experiences.
Onya Natho.

FWIW, I'm open to PM's too ... happy to share experiences, and try to help anyone. Especially, if say you are not sure how to approach someone you want to check in on, or to get a better understanding of how it affects someone if you don't suffer.

icepick
regular

Post by icepick » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:51 am

andy2476 wrote:
icepick wrote:
andy2476 wrote:thats great advice packa. Of course if they were a muslim who was depressed because they couldn't practice sharia law you'd just tell em to try again off back to where they came from.
Oh dear, only you could. Why? There is no need. Please get help. Please.
because quoting a positive outlook on life is great but there is nothing positive about packas nasty and small minded views about people who he believes want to live life slightly differently than he. That sort of thinking is precisely what could promote depression and anxiety in people.
So, keep it in the relevant thread. Pretty simple.

icepick
regular

Post by icepick » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:27 am

So, the next step in my recovery process has started to kick in ...

The doc, at the last appt, said my system needs some 'help' to get the biochemical process working in sync better ... he has suggested I take SAM-e, and I started last week, and am definitely feeling it's impact. Been a bit 'weird' at first, some tingling sensations, and weird headaches, which have now all gone once I increased the dose as planned ...

Doc said to start on slow and build up ...

He also, showed me this 'biochemical cycle' and where / how it all works for me. While this is bloody detailed, the thing I took away is how all the biochemical functions link together like an old analogue clock, so that when one part moves slow, or too quick, or does not move or produce what it should the whole system is thrown our of whack ... makes sense really. No wonder we feel so 'out of balance' when things like Depression and Anxiety hit ...

Anyway, just sharing as it my help someone.
biochemical process.jpg

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:37 pm

you've gotta be kidding
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Exercise and clean living works wonders for many people with depression. It won't cure it but can certainly help living with it for sure. Far better to get addicted to exercise and adrenalin than Booz n drugs.

packa
regular

Post by packa » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:27 am

offshore1 wrote:you've gotta be kidding
tonks wrote:Appreciate the good intentions icepick, but you'd need a masters in biochemistry to make sense of that, let alone appreciate the significance with respect to mental health status
Yes, but, did you note:
icepick wrote: ... He also, showed me this 'biochemical cycle' and where / how it all works for me. While this is bloody detailed, the thing I took away is how all the biochemical functions link together like an old analogue clock, so that when one part moves slow, or too quick, or does not move or produce what it should the whole system is thrown our of whack ... makes sense really. No wonder we feel so 'out of balance' when things like Depression and Anxiety hit ...
Emphasis added, just in case you missed it :wink:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Apologies icepick if I was too andy1234,I'm writing on my phone.
The diagram just reminded me of Catholic interpretations of the solar system when woolly was a lad.
There's been some good advice given. Best wishes for you.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

packa
regular

Post by packa » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:47 am

tonks wrote:This might be of interest to people:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014 ... w-it-works
Onya Tonks.

Personally, exercise, well surfing almost every day, was a huge part of my management plan. I set my work schedule so first meetings were generally never before 10.30am so I had time to get a surf in every morning (allowing for tides, and conditions to settle) and that seemed to work well for me. Never been a runner, or more than a mere casual family weekend bike rider, and as for the gym, well nah, so it's surfing for me.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 am

Just on Nathos points, if I run say 7kms or over I'm on a high for 24 hours, but a 2-3 hour surf makes me a little tired at night and irritable be it good or bad surf, maybe producing testostrone in surf and more endophins in the run. Everyway I agree, exercise isnt the answer but that with removing yourself from situations that make you anxious is better than 6 tins and a reefer a night.

icepick
regular

Post by icepick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Quik update for those interested ...

Now up to 1500mg of zinc per day, under doc guidance, plus increased Vitamin B ... finally got the energy kick, and sleeping "heacy" without waking up feeling like I still need another few hours. This supplement sh1t is real, and fu.cking amazing ... :mrgreen:

Treating cause, not just the symptoms ...

:B

packa
regular

Post by packa » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:25 am

Since this is a publicly viewable thread on this forum I feel it important to add this WARNING:

Be VERY careful what you share on this forum. The "community" here does not care if they take anything of a sensitive nature and use it in half arsed twisted attempts at humor. In fact, the WHOLE community and regular contributors are complicit in the very process; simply by allowing it to happen.

It's if very very sad when someone has tried to share knowledge in the hope of helping others that they are treated this way.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:45 am

packa wrote:Since this is a publicly viewable thread on this forum I feel it important to add this WARNING:

Be VERY careful what you share on this forum. The "community" here does not care if they take anything of a sensitive nature and use it in half arsed twisted attempts at humor. In fact, the WHOLE community and regular contributors are complicit in the very process; simply by allowing it to happen.

It's if very very sad when someone has tried to share knowledge in the hope of helping others that they are treated this way.
You're right packa. Some aresholes out there......BUT, I have to say in the "community's" defence that, in general, the regulars have been very supportive of those who have posted their thoughts here.
In general, my policy is, if someone posts something which is in my opinion, objectionable, on this topic, I leave it there long enough to see what the poster's peers have to say. I DO delete stuff which is over the top, but often have to rely on feedback from others to be sure I'm not over-reacting.
And of course, there's only one of me, so things do slip through from time to time.
That's what the Personal Message function is for.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:08 pm

I have to raise my hand when it comes to depression and anxiety. It struck me later in life but in hindsight was always lurking down in the cellar waiting to be let of the leash. I still battle at times. I removed the outside influences that tipped me over the edge and i am a lot better. A mate told me to exercise but i havent, its just my motivation has left me. What i find that has helped me the most is mental exercise. I have now written 3 books each 70000 words and working on fourth. In saying this lack of exercise has taking away my surfing and thus is something i hope to address. Each one of us has a different joirney. There is no right or wrong way for us to live our lives as full as possible. Understanding and compassion is whats needed
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Im one of the lucky ones. Yes ive checked out of society but ive finally found peace in this fucked up world
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm

packa wrote:Since this is a publicly viewable thread on this forum I feel it important to add this WARNING:

Whats your gripe Packa, I havent seen any evidence of anyone who has shared something very personal and real about any mental state issues then having the piss taken out of them for it...

What happened to you?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Having depression/anxiety in some cases is in vogue but you can always tell the genuine cases from the fake.

I have had a workmate kill himself no one was aware of his issues until it was too late. Have also had another workmate after counselling fill me in on some very personal issues of his where he was on the verge of taking his own life due to relationship issues.

At this stage of my life I am having a ew issues causing anxiety from time to time.
I know that in reality its not a big deal but to me it is when it comes to confronting it makes it tough but I wont let this shit beat me. Oh and surfing and exercise helps more than booze.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:RMB, would some bloke from the internet drawing pictures of you and posting them on an obscure internet forum cause you anxiety?
Nope I enjoy the fun and banter online its hardly personal. The stuff thats bothering me is a drop in the ocean compared to what other people deal with.