PNG Explorer - November?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

nosedrip

PNG Explorer - November?

Post by nosedrip » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:18 am

I'm considering a trip on the PNG Explorer in November. Does anyone have any experience / thoughts about PNG? Too fickle? Too dangerous? Or a hidden gem ignored by most? And any views on the PNG Explorer - their website looks OK but I haven't spoken to anyone who has booked a trip with them….

rmb
barnacle

Re: PNG Explorer - November?

Post by rmb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:41 pm

I have heard good things from people who have gone. Reasonably uncrowded and fun waves. Not sure on the resort or charter though.

brett68

Re: PNG Explorer - November?

Post by brett68 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:48 am

twas the uncrowded part which got us in - and it was - never surfed with anyone else
great boat, great food, Darty and Undies who run it are top blokes, warm water, fishing is absolutely ridiculous (I reckon they might get people going there just for the fishing if they tried marketing it that way)

but

it's expensive relative to other trips and the waves are in no way Indo like - if you're expecting a Mentawai-like 7hrs/day surfing, then you'll be let down
- the main 'go to' wave called the Slab is possibly Indo-class and Darty and Undies have the place wired - short sharp 30mtrs long, almost every wave barrels and you will hit the bottom here

after that though there is little in the way of quality back ups with some days wasted (when there was 3-4 ft of swell and no winds) on a really bad sectiony left

it rarely gets above 5ft if that's what you're after

full adventure though as it is still at the frontier/searching stage - no tourist guided excursions here - walked into a village where they haven't seen a whitey for a year and went on a waterfall climb, WW11 plane wreck diving - gold

and as I said - as a usually non-fisherman, I was always keen to jump in a boat with some beers for a plan B when the waves weren't on