Galapagos.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Galapagos.

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 pm

was talkng to a frenchmen who's been.

it gets North pac swell and is foundational in terms of our understanding of evolution. I'm thinking it would be better than school for curious kids.

anyone been?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Galapagos.

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:27 pm

One of my relos, very widely travelled, says it is the best place she's ever been.
Expensive and food is crap, apparently.

Lot of big sharks.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Stop it your making it sound too good.
Steve Australia isn't too bad in that regard either :-D-:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Apparently they have ducks ... Galapagos Ducks.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Womble wrote:Apparently they have ducks ... Galapagos Ducks.
Only one Womble.
"Galapagos Duck"
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Trev wrote:
Only one Womble.
"Galapagos Duck"
Theres a whole band of them Trev ... that be more than one son.
Me old mate ... the late great John "Sango" Sangster flew with them from time to time.
Smoking reefers in the twat lounge.

Many years ago John came around to our place for a sunday BBQ, polished of enough vodka to kill a Russian army and went nigh-night on the sofa.
On monday morning we let him sleep and headed of to work. I returned home at lunchtime for a couple of hot ones (as you did) and found our Sango encamped under a large tree in the back yard, sitting peacefully on the outdoor furniture, composing music, a growing pile of wine bottles beside him. "Oh there you are lad" he said on my return, "by the way, I've found your stash, Brewongil" he added, indicating the lovingly syphoned empties strewn on the lawn. John ended up staying for three days, coincidentally precisely the same amount of time it took to empty the wine cellar. He was a fabulous talented eccentric delight. Vale Sango.

Back to the ducks then.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:06 pm

Womble wrote:
Trev wrote:
Only one Womble.
"Galapagos Duck"
I know that. However the band is known collectively as Galapagos Duck. :-)(
Geez it's hard when you have to explain a joke.
Bloody cockroaches. :-o
Here they are in Otway's backyard.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1936,d.dGI
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:58 am

Trev wrote: Geez it's hard when you have to explain a joke.
You're not wrong there ... :roll:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:Let's not forget the Boobies.
Galapagos Boobies?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Trev wrote:
Womble wrote:
Trev wrote:
Only one Womble.
"Galapagos Duck"
Bloody cockroaches. :-o
Here they are in Otway's backyard.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1936,d.dGI
Ducks eat cockroaches without the fatality of digesting cane toads, yes the Duck were here, grammatically appalling but correct as I assume in this case it's a collective noun.
I don't know about singularities applying to Wombles either. Quote; " the Wombles of Wimbleton are we!" :-)(
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:19 pm

C'mon M-F. You know that's not what we were expecting. :(
Beanpole

Skipper

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:27 pm

otway1949 wrote:Ducks eat cockroaches without the fatality of digesting cane toads
Our wildlife is evolving.
Blue tongue lizards in some parts of the country have greater natural resistance to cane toad toxin due to eating Mother of Millions, which has a similar toxin.
Red-bellied black snakes have evolved smaller skulls in places where there are cane toads.
Magpies can flip them over and eat everything except the poison glands and the liver. I've seen a mum teaching the fledgelings.
Native frogs are still in big trouble.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:30 pm

alakaboo wrote:
otway1949 wrote:Ducks eat cockroaches without the fatality of digesting cane toads
Our wildlife is evolving.
Blue tongue lizards in some parts of the country have greater natural resistance to cane toad toxin due to eating Mother of Millions, which has a similar toxin.
Red-bellied black snakes have evolved smaller skulls in places where there are cane toads.
Magpies can flip them over and eat everything except the poison glands and the liver. I've seen a mum teaching the fledgelings.
Native frogs are still in big trouble.
I knew about the magpies.
BTW. We're inundated with cane toads around here.
AND we have a vigorous population of mature green frogs.
Beanpole

Skipper

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Well you made me check that last one..and it looks like the science has changed on that front.

Turns out that Green Tree Frog tadpoles greatly reduce the effectiveness of toadpole development, i.e. they outcompete them.
Also, because the toads are toxic to a lot of things that eat frogs (i.e. toads are basically boobytrapped frogs...had to get the word booby in there somehow), some frog numbers are actually increasing

And the toads have certainly come back in the last couple of wetter summers.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:40 pm

The duck on the left is saying 'why the fcuk did I agree to cosplay, I look fcuking ridiculous'

The one on the right is saying 'if you act like its normal things will be fine. Just relax man'

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:53 pm

alakaboo wrote:Well you made me check that last one..and it looks like the science has changed on that front.

Turns out that Green Tree Frog tadpoles greatly reduce the effectiveness of toadpole development, i.e. they outcompete them.
Also, because the toads are toxic to a lot of things that eat frogs (i.e. toads are basically boobytrapped frogs...had to get the word booby in there somehow), some frog numbers are actually increasing

And the toads have certainly come back in the last couple of wetter summers.

This is all good reason to bomb the fkkukk out of qld. Nothing left alive. Sure, we might lose millions of Australians, but the country would be improved beyond a doubt.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:24 am

Anyone rooted one of those big old Galapagos turtles?
I wonder what it would be like to root one of those big old lazy phukkez?. Pretty easy I would think.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Laird has surfed there. Saw it in a Surfing Mag once.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?